Doctor Who

Tom baker is the only Dr who for me but I am warming up to some of this new stuff, rose, river, & Clara. But I miss Lela & K9

I used to watch all the reruns late at night on PBS growing up. Tom Baker was always my favorite.

The new stuff is on my to watch list, and I've seen a few eps already. I just don't seem to have as much time for tv now that I'm a grown up and have to work and stuff.
  • Moderators

Ironic because a buddy of mine persuaded my wife and I to try Doctor Who again. He convinced us to try it a year ago, but my wife couldn't make it 5 minutes into the first episode (the one with the mannequins) of the "first" season. He persuaded us Saturday evening and we watched half of the same episode during lunch today. I think if my wife can make it into a few episodes, we'll be set. I"ve wanted to watch it for a few years now!

Although I grew up with the Tom Baker Doctor, I have followed the current series since season 1.

I gotta say that the David Tennant years (season 2 & 3) have some of the finest Science Fiction scriptwriting of the last 25 years. Excellent plotlines and realistic (for sci-fi) characters.

Edited by tartanphantom
My wife bought me a boot leg box set a few years ago. It has every episode of Dr. Who from 1963 to 1989. I have watched several of the newer doctors but haven't gotten into them as much as the older ones.

.....and yes, Tom Baker was the finest doctor to ever grace the Tardis.
  • Like 1

I also watched a lot of the old reruns on PBS.  Tom Baker was also always my favorite.  I consider myself a 'fan' of Doctor Who and I watched some of the 'reboot' series when I still had cable and enjoyed it.  I no longer have cable so I haven't watched, lately.

Quite possibly my favorite scene from the new show took place during the final 'showdown' between the Doctor and the Master.  The Master had sent some of his 'drones' to attack the Doctor's former companion, Donna.  To save her life, the Doctor had been forced to make her forget about her time with him so she had no way of knowing what was going on.  Just when Donna was completely surrounded and it looked like she was done for, there was some sort of psychic wave triggered from her that knocked her (and her would-be attackers) unconscious.  The Doctor then looked at the Master and said something along the lines of, "Did you think I'd leave my best friend without any defense mechanism?"

I have to say that I am curious to see how the Doctor's final demise will be handled - or avoided.  As part of the series lore, Time Lords get to regenerate twelve times.  That means there should be thirteen and done.  As far as I know, the only Time Lord to have gone beyond that number was the Master - and his first attempt to do so left him warped and disfigured.  The Master eventually overcame that but only via stealing the bodies of living victims.  I'm guessing, though, that now being the 'last' Time Lord will come into play in helping the Doctor avoid final death.

Oh, and I think John Pertwee was probably my second favorite.  His Doctor was mostly limited to adventures on Earth (his fellow Time Lords exiled him to Earth) so I think that made his adventures a little more 'immediate' in some ways, not to mention his run having other great characters such as the Brigadier and the guys of U.N.I.T.  Then there was Bessie.

Edited by JAB

I also watched a lot of the old reruns on PBS.  Tom Baker was also always my favorite.  I consider myself a 'fan' of Doctor Who and I watched some of the 'reboot' series when I still had cable and enjoyed it.  I no longer have cable so I haven't watched, lately.

Quite possibly my favorite scene from the new show took place during the final 'showdown' between the Doctor and the Master.  The Master had sent some of his 'drones' to attack the Doctor's former companion, Donna.  To save her life, the Doctor had been forced to make her forget about her time with him so she had no way of knowing what was going on.  Just when Donna was completely surrounded and it looked like she was done for, there was some sort of psychic wave triggered from her that knocked her (and her would-be attackers) unconscious.  The Doctor then looked at the Master and said something along the lines of, "Did you think I'd leave my best friend without any defense mechanism?"

I have to say that I am curious to see how the Doctor's final demise will be handled - or avoided.  As part of the series lore, Time Lords get to regenerate twelve times.  That means there should be thirteen and done.  As far as I know, the only Time Lord to have gone beyond that number was the Master - and his first attempt to do so left him warped and disfigured.  The Master eventually overcame that but only via stealing the bodies of living victims.  I'm guessing, though, that now being the 'last' Time Lord will come into play in helping the Doctor avoid final death.

Oh, and I think John Pertwee was probably my second favorite.  His Doctor was mostly limited to adventures on Earth (his fellow Time Lords exiled him to Earth) so I think that made his adventures a little more 'immediate' in some ways, not to mention his run having other great characters such as the Brigadier and the guys of U.N.I.T.  Then there was Bessie.

i read a interview someone that 13 was not going to be the last doctor and that it will go past that

• Moderators

My wife digs it a lot. I have never watched it. I was always Fantasy > Sci-Fi.

I know she made me get rid of any and all angel statues in the house.

The Weeping Angels are the creepiest of all the villains the Doctor has faced in my opinion.

I have Doctor Who ink. On my right arm I have the Tardis framed by a Dalek, a Cyberman and a Weeping Angel on 3 sides.