Selling across state lines

Guest King703

Guest King703

Hello,

I live in TN and I own an AR15.  My dad who lives in IL wants to buy it.  He has a FOID card and is a legal gun owner.  Can I simply write a bill of sale and sell it to him?  Would he be able to transport the gun across state lines legally?  

Thank you

King703

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the sale must go through a FFL to be legal. Other forum readers are probably way more qualified to answer this question. I have always madesure a person is in state citizen and qualified to own a gun before selling. "Bill of Sale" going to IL. Hmmm. Selling a gun to go to IL that I bought after a background check. Hmmm. From what I've read IL is not gun friendly to anybody, just saying. Edited by Blitzen

http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federal_firearms_laws.html

13.       Transferring Personal Firearms (sell, give, loan)

a.         A resident of a State may transfer a firearm to a resident of the same State.

1)        But may not transfer a Hand Gun to a person under 18 years of age, § 922 (x)(1), 1 year or 10 years; see exceptions, § 922 (x)(3).

b.         A resident of a State may not transfer a firearm to a resident of another State, § 922 (a)(5), 5 years, but ...

1)        May transfer a firearm to a non-resident via a Will or intestate succession (no Will but State law describes division of estate), § 922 (a)(5)(A).  May loan or rent a firearm to a non-resident for temporary lawful sporting purposes, § 922 (a)(5)(B). May send or deliver a firearm to a non-resident by first delivering the firearm to an FFL in the recipient’s State; the transfer would then take place at the FFL’s premises, § 922 (a)(1)(A).  

Edited by RED333

Send it to an FFL near him. There's no law that says you have to send it from an FFL in TN, but the FFL in IL may require it as their own policy, so check with the FFL you're sending to and ask them if they'll receive a transfer directly from you or if they want it to come from another FFL.

You could loan it to him.

Not across state lines, only if the other person comes to TN and the rifle stays in TN.

Not true, federally. Under 18USC 922, "the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes" is an exception to prohibitions against private transfer between non same state residents.

The duration of "temporary" is not defined in the statute or in 921 which contains definitions for 922.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It still has to stay in the owners state, if the owner takes it to another state, it can not be loaned, it has to be done through a FFL..

You can make up a law if you like, but that doesn't make it true. (Feel free to cite the federal law that refutes me).

- OS

You can make up a law if you like, but that doesn't make it true. (Feel free to cite the federal law that refutes me).

- OS

POST #6

1)        May transfer a firearm to a non-resident via a Will or intestate succession (no Will but State law describes division of estate), § 922 (a)(5)(A).  May loan or rent a firearm to a non-resident for temporary lawful sporting purposes, § 922 (a)(5)( B). May send or deliver a firearm to a non-resident by first delivering the firearm to an FFL in the recipient’s State; the transfer would then take place at the FFL’s premises, § 922 (a)(1)(A).

Guest TNSovereignty

I did not make up the law. We all can read it and get 2 or 3 diff ways it will come out.

When I do not know I will fall back on using a FFL.

That's always the safest way I suppose.  On the other hand, I think it's helpful to sometimes look for liberty-exploiting gray areas & use them to the fullest.  When one can find an attorney that agrees with a reasonable gray-area interpretation, I say seize it.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

I can dang near pee off the porch an hit 2 other states. The law can say what it wants be we all know that people that live where I do trade guns across state lines all the time.  Not that I would do such a thing....

POST #6

1)        May transfer a firearm to a non-resident via a Will or intestate succession (no Will but State law describes division of estate), § 922 (a)(5)(A).  May loan or rent a firearm to a non-resident for temporary lawful sporting purposes, § 922 (a)(5)( B). May send or deliver a firearm to a non-resident by first delivering the firearm to an FFL in the recipient’s State; the transfer would then take place at the FFL’s premises, § 922 (a)(1)(A).

Transfer is a permanent situation, loan or rental is not.

Again, read 18 USC 922. Even in the sketchy FAQ you quoted, it says you may loan or rent a firearm to a non-resident,  as I said and I assure you there is nothing in the statute about it having to be done in either lender's or lendee's state.

Private transfer of a firearm between residents of different states is illegal by federal law regardless of where they occur. Loan or rental of a firearm is legal by federal law between residents of different states regardless of where they occur.

I'm a little unsure about the "rental" part without an FFL however, believe it could easily fall under the "being in the business" section, so I wouldn't really consider that as an individual.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot