New Red Dot: Eyeball Puke

Hmm, my TRS-25 arrived today and I turned it on and took a peek...instead of a fairly clear red dot I see a mess of little dots in a blob pattern. I do wear glasses, so I know my eyes are not perfect. Took them off and on and no difference. Time to visit one of the local shops this weekend to see if this is just the way my eyes perceive red dot sights. Either way, I don't think little Bushnell will work for me. I remember using a different one on a friend's gun and didn't seem to have an issue at all (I think it was possibly a Sightmark on the little M&P15-22). Sad days. Thoughts?

PS - I took a pic through the scope with my iPhone and the dot is flawless.

Edited by Father Goose

Alright, I think I figured it out. Testing without glasses, the dot looks like a bunch of grapes. With glasses it's as it should be, but since I have smaller frames and lenses, if I drop my head to a certain angle, I get a clear dot and an awful distorted pattern right near it (I thought it was flare, a defect, or just my poor eyes). Proper angle with my glasses and all is well... :clap:. That being said, I may look for a red dot with a better FOV, I knew the TRS was going to be tiny, but it's a bit much.

Edited by Father Goose

At the proper angle, with my glasses on, the dot is absolutely fine for this optic. However, 22mm is a little too small to look through for me so I'm going to look at other options.

@Smith: Yup, I most likely do.

@Threeeighty: Definitely one of the considerations : )

@Oh Shoot: I've had a few other people look through it that I know, I was having issues with having my head/glasses positioned properly.

@Ted: I'm focusing on the target with both eyes open, not on the dot itself.

Thanks all!

Edited by Father Goose

Which Aimpoint do you have and how much does the effect bug you?

I have a H1 with the 4MOA dot. It's mounted on a M&P 15-22 that I use for Steel Challenge. It doesn't really bug me that much, it's just defiantly not a dot. I center it on the target and pull the trigger and move on.

The targets in Steel Challenge range from 6" at 12-15 yards to 18"x24" at 35 yards so it's not like I use it for precision shooting, but at the same time I can easily keep a golf ball hopping at the plinking range.

I'm not sure what brightness settings your sight has, but try turning it down to the lowest visible setting and see if that helps. Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest BallisticArms

I have astigmatism in both eyes and i use the vortex strikefire with no problems and its a great optic for the price. I have also seen good things about the vortex sparc as well.

what about the windowed type?  They are fragile, though....

The holographic red dots? In consideration. I've now looked through/played with the Vortex Strikefire, Redfield Counterstrike, Aimpoint PRO, and EOTech XPS2. Trying to decide between the Aimpoint and the EOTech; I like them both fairly equally.

UPDATE: I'm actually leaning towards the Leupold AR MOD 1 1.5-4x20 with the Firedot reticle. Not running and gunning with the rifle and seems to be easier on my eyes/head regarding angle. I can always add an RDS down the road.

Edited by Father Goose

had the same thing happen to me and have slight astigmatism...the only one that looked ok was the eotech and a trijicon all the other aimpoint and what not had about 5-6 small dots i saw

I have astigmatism, and have the same issue with holographic sights.  I was unaware that holo sights had that issue when I purchased my first Eotech.  I thought something was wrong with the sight, until I read up on them.  I still run a holo sight, but switched to Aimpoint Micro sights on my rifles........better to have one fuzzy dot, than a fuzzy dot and big fuzzy circle.

i had a trijicon rx-30 i believe with an amber dot... and my eyes did perfect with it... having astigmatism your actual eye ball curvature is not normal and perfectly rounded... i think this is why some see a blob of dots like i do and some don't... astigmatism can be corrected to an extent with glasses... i had an old cheapo red dot on my gsg5sd and it was awful... it maybe be also how the dot is transferred to the rectal also... wither it be  an LED or Lazer... but the trijicon was always a lil round single dot... the eotech looked correct too but those always have a always moving look to them from the lazers they use... aimpoint looked like a blob of small dots and did a sight mark...