Remembering Shannon (Marswolf) Elder

TGO David

Shall we observe a moment of silence for Mars on Tuesday, September 23rd?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Shall we observe a moment of silence for Mars on Tuesday, September 23rd?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grizzly Johnson

I have come to expect a wise response or a crack to a thread I might post up from the Wolf. I cannot believe this kind of news, I have never met him in person, but yet my eyes tear up like I have lost a member of my own family. I enjoyed reading his stories about sitting out watching the storms and going for coffee....... Hard to believe he is gone. My dad went to Nam too, like a lot of other guys......... thank you for your words, your stories, your service to this board, and the dedication you gave this country. Rest in piece friend, keep'em in the 10 spot!!! My thought and prayers to your family and friends........

It always hurts when those who seem immortal to you, are the ones that pass.

I regret never meeting him in person, but I am glad that I got to know him here.

I hope you have peace.

As being fairly new to this forum I have never had the chance to meet Mars but I have been fortunate to learn from him and several others here, I only wish I had even been more fortunate as to had the chance to meet Mars before his untimely passing. My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends.

"old soldiers never die; they just fade away. And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty"

This was in a speech by MacArthur. I think it is fitting here.

The Pearly Gates have a new man for the security detail. Mars may not have believed in it but that doesn't mean God didn't believe in him.

• Administrator

Friends,

I am told that Shannon (Marswolf) had little left in the way of family. His brother preceded him in death a few years ago and his mother resides in a convalescent home and literally had thought he (Shannon) had died years ago and did not know who he was when he visited.

Shannon's last request was to be cremated, therefore it is very unlikely that there will be a formal memorial service for him.

As he was a friend of this forum and as a member of the TGO Staff, it seems to me that perhaps we can remember him in our own way by observing a period of "silence". If the majority of you approve, I would like to close the TGO forums on Tuesday, September 23rd between 9am and 12pm (noon) Central Time. During this time, a notice of memorial will be posted for all who visit to see.

It's not much but it's perhaps all we can do.

Please vote on the poll that I am attaching to this thread. Votes will be private so you do not need to worry about being singled out if you think this is idea is in poor form.

Thanks.

Wow, been away from the computer for a few days, very very sad news, I never met him, we had many conversations on here and some in PM's. His knowledge, his experience, his thoughts on things were greatly appreciated and I looked foreward to coming on here and reading what he had to say, what he had to eat that night, drink that night and if a storm was rumbling up or not for him to enjoy a cigar.

Mars, you will be missed.

Guest Phantom6
I am in shock and speechless . . .

May his family know a sense of peace in a time of great turmoil.

The epitaph that I offer to him: Marswolf always brought a smile to my face.

Well, for the most part, TGO and some old military pals were his family. Those wishing to sign the book online at the funeral home may do so at the following URL:http://obit.memorialobituaries.com/wrapper_gb.php?id=584676&clientid=hamlettdobson&listing=Current

Rather than posting your notices of condolence here I think it would be a fitting tribute to a fine and courageous man to flood the online guestbook.

Edited by Phantom6