Anyone else see this ?

Guest nitrous_mike

Guest nitrous_mike

There was a group of 11 guys in Benton County who managed to kill 160+ Wood Ducks Saturday, and over 100 on Sunday while hunting over bait. Kinda sad when the limit is only 2 per person per day on early WD/teal.

Here is what was posted on TNDucks and Refugeforums

"The guy who posted the picture and the estimates of the total ducks killed over the two day hunt was a Game and Fish official from west Tennessee. He has also been on the refuge forums for a long time and has shared a lot of helpful information on seasons and area management. He was not the arresting officer, but was told this by two other TWRA officers about the case. The total numbers are an estimate, but based on good information. 169 ducks on Saturday --- 107 ducks on Sunday. Total estimated killed 276. The bust was made on Sunday according to officials. This was from TWRA not "Joe Internet Blow" --- It is fact? I can't say, But it did come from a reliable source. "

Here is the picture these "smart" guys took and were sending to their friends via cell phone.

overlimitwoodducksva4.jpg

All I can say is I hope they hang the sorry SOB's. I admit I have fudged the limit and hours a time or two but by in no way would I ever consider killing out a whole population like that. Rather they just do not care or are too stupid to understand how long it will take an area to recover from something like that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Very sad... but that's still an impressive 2-day haul. Even if each of the 11 pulled their own weight evenly, that's over 25 kills a piece.

Wonder if the authorities can/will put them to use somehow... or just let them go to waste.

Do they snatch all your equipment here like they do violaters in Fl? Down there they can seize guns, car, boats, or anything else you may happen to have with you.

Yes they CAN. If they do or not is another story. Dang shame, you can't eat that many ducks so why kill that many.

thats just plain stupid...blatant disregard for the wildlife in my opinion. there is no way one area can withstand that "beating" that was just put on them. and the ducks will probably go to waste...i hope those guys get whats coming to them...make an example out of them TWRA!

I haven't hunted in many years, but this kind of thing is just outrageous...it flies in the face of everything instilled in me growing up about sportsmanship and wildlife conservation, not to mention the sheer magnitude of the illegality.

I'm ashamed we actually have Tennesseans who behave this way and hope they throw the whole book at 'em.

- OS

Guest Angel 24/7

I will never be one to go hunting. I understand if you go, so you can eat it, use the fur. What was the purpose in this? I just don't understand!

When Xdshooter hunts, he does enough for us to eat, same with fishing.

I hope they lose everything.

Guest eyebedam

No need for them to lose everything. Thats a little overkill but they should have some very hefty fines laid upon them. When theres folks that can get away with murder walking around with less of a punishment for some duck poachers theres a serious problem in the world.

No need for them to lose everything. Thats a little overkill but they should have some very hefty fines laid upon them. When theres folks that can get away with murder walking around with less of a punishment for some duck poachers theres a serious problem in the world.

Well we arent talking about someone that killed 5 extra ducks...this was blatant and grotesque. Yes they should lose all their hunting gear and their vehicle(s) and be fined to hell and back.

I haven't hunted in many years, but this kind of thing is just outrageous...it flies in the face of everything instilled in me growing up about sportsmanship and wildlife conservation, not to mention the sheer magnitude of the illegality.

I'm ashamed we actually have Tennesseans who behave this way and hope they throw the whole book at 'em.

- OS

Very well said!

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Well from what I understand most of the guilty ones were from New Johnsonville, and Waverly, a couple of which worked at Dupont. Older guys with some younger guys maybe college age and younger. I have to say I am a pretty ethical hunter and this act was just plain poaching........ That is why we have limits.......... it's hard enough to find a good spot to wood duck hunt, now look at how the duck population took a hit. It's a shame how younger hunters fall victim to older hunters bad ways......... I'm sure it will be in the Camden Chronicle soon enough........

Guest nitrous_mike

I had heard most of them worked for DuPont and the TVA plant @ NJ. Keep us updated on what comes out in the paper. Regardless of age or income its just flat out sorry for someone to even consider doing this. I know we all talk about if the day comes they are just falling the hole Ima make up for these past years that have been poor, but I mean its not like you would actually do something like this. Not to mention they baited the hell out of the hole to start with.

They are still trying to almost take up for the guys on TNDucks , I just do not care if they are you best friend if someone is that sorry to do this what do you think they would do to you or your stuff. This is one reason why I am so picky about who I let hunt with me.