PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

News Link : HERE

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

POSTED: 1:48 pm EDT September 23, 2008

UPDATED: 2:44 pm EDT September 23, 2008

WATERBURY, Vt. -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

Read PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

September 23, 2008

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders

Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman

Executive Vice President

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

PETA just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Nutjobs. :death:

Found these replies funny, on the forum that I took the story from...

I would totally buy some breast milk ice cream.. What would Ben & Jerry's call it though? Mammary Berry Blast?

How many women are really lining up to have pumps attached to their chests to produce milk? I might have to consider getting into dairy farming....

:death:

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

I guess these morons have never seen what happens to an utter that doesn't get milked! I've had to pop more than a few in my days on the farm.

BTW - i am talking about cows here!:death:

Why not soy?

See, that's the problem with those crazy **********. They can't think out of the box. If they could their "cause" might actually gain some traction and get somewhere.

I stop paying attention when someone who has put them self in a position of "importance" refers to a CALF as a baby cow.

It's also obvious that Tracy has no idea how the whole cattle/dairy farming industry works. I've never heard of a calf,...or baby cow, dying of starvation on any farm in the United States...or the world for that matter.

It doesn't worry me as much about the meek inheriting the earth as much as it does the stupid.

Guest Halfpint

Dumbest thing I've heard in a while . . . it actually surpasses Obama's "keep your tires inflated to help reduce our dependence on foreign oil" crap.

. . . As someone who spent a couple years in 4H as a kid, I had a hard time reading after "baby cows"--damn hippies can't even get "calves" right.

I would love some human milk ice cream!

That is as long as I got to see pictures of the breast it came from first!

I dont want no Big Bertha in a MuMu pumping out my milk :screwy:

fat.jpg

I will have nightmares after seeing Big Bertha.

Yeah strickj is always trying to sneak a picture of his girl friend in :P