TN to adopt DST only?

Agrarian societies have used the practical implication of a "DST" since before precise time keeping was modernized. The current DST was simply a formalization and adoption of that old practice as a general rule. With the advancement of technology that is no longer restricted by ambient light for safety and production it is no longer necessary or even helpful.

The real myth is that DST is some ill conceived government conspiracy program to get more work out of the plebes to benefit big industry and government.

[Citation needed]

I suspect most agrarian societies just got up when they needed to.

• Like 2

[Citation needed]

I suspect most agrarian societies just got up when they needed to.

Thus the "practical DST" that I referenced. You said it was a myth insinuating some government "conspiracy". I'm assuming referencing it's US legal introduction in the 70's. I was simply pointing out that adjusting to "daylight" hours has been done since well before there were clocks and then formally introduced in 1855. If you need a citation here you go https://www.google.com/

Totally different things. One is just getting up earlier (which is what I advocated for those so inclined), the other is monkeying with what are (in truth) arbitrarily assigned numbers, causing untold lost productivity, missed appointments and sundry other ill-effects.
[quote name="tnguy" post="1116145" timestamp="1393287867"]Totally different things. One is just getting up earlier (which is what I advocated for those so inclined), the other is monkeying with what are (in truth) arbitrarily assigned numbers, causing untold lost productivity, missed appointments and sundry other ill-effects.[/quote] I can see that. Either way I agree DST can go away. Time isn't arbitrarily assigned. The sun will do they same thing every day.

A single state ditching DST is a terrible idea. Just too inconsistent with neighboring states. 

I'm for leaving things the way they are. Since I mostly work outside, I appreciate it getting dark "late" in the summer because I have time to do stuff outside after work, and the cooler mornings are nice. I also enjoy the "early" sunrise helping the temps warm up a little in the winter. I just hate when it gets dark at 5pm.

I love DST, but unless every other state changes too, this would be a pain. I'm not in favor unless we change as a whole.

One state or five states, it really doesn't matter. If anything it could create a larger disturbance the more states join in. The reason I say this is because what if TN, KY, VA, WV and OH decided to band together on this matter? now instead of just the 8 states that border TN you would end up with 12 or so neighboring states.

Jimmuh Carter tried extending DST back in the 70's, when he was the resident foole in the Oval Office.  It failed.  As I recall, people objected to their children walking to school in the dark.  I'm all in favor of eliminating DST, not EST.

• Like 1
Guest brighac
I'm not a fan of this. I work for a company that has two offices in EST, one inTN and one in MI. I don't see this working out well. We are virtual between the sites. So one site would be open till 8pm and one 9pm? This sounds like a PITA for all the employes. The ones actually working in it an hour later and then the ones at the other site would have delays in operations because they had to focus if the other site was open. Seems crazy to change something that has been fine for many years. Anyone ever heard the expression "don't fix it unless it is broke?"

Well if we all just adopted operating on the world standard, "Z", or Cordinated Universal Time, there would be no time shift. If you worked for a company that is global, like an airline like I do, you are already acustomed to that format. With "Z" time, there are no time zones or time shifts. For example, as I type this, it is 09:38 local time OR it is 15:38 (3:38 PM) Z time. When an airplane crosses the ocean or continents, it takes a given or fixed AMOUNT of time to make that flight. SO if it takes 6 hours to make the flight and it takes off at 12:00 Noon Z time, it will arrive at 18:00 (6:00 PM) Z. By looking at LOCAL times a flight that crosses multiple time zones STILL takes 6 hours to make the flight BUT the time shown on the clock on the wall will not reflect the 6 hours of travel time. If you are going east, the time on the clock will be as though it took LONGER than 6 hours and the reverse is true if going west.

By-the-way, in case anybody is interested and does not already know, you can get Coordinated Universal Time by calling 606-499-7111 or going the the "Official US Time" web site at http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Central/d/-6/java.

Edited by Sky King

That is actually the system I'd prefer if there was even a miniscule chance of it being adopted. People are rather attached to their arbitrarily assigned numbers though.

Edited by tnguy

I'm not a fan of this. I work for a company that has two offices in EST, one inTN and one in MI. I don't see this working out well. We are virtual between the sites. So one site would be open till 8pm and one 9pm? This sounds like a PITA for all the employes. The ones actually working in it an hour later and then the ones at the other site would have delays in operations because they had to focus if the other site was open. Seems crazy to change something that has been fine for many years. Anyone ever heard the expression "don't fix it unless it is broke?"

I imagine there would be a lot of quirky hassles like that regarding how various companies operate.

- OS

My father never changed his watch. He was always on DST and when someone would ask him what time it was he would say,  Your time or mine?' and they would say mine and he would subtract an hour and tell them. Then when Spring rolled around he was with everyone else when they moved their clocks forward. He said he never saw no damn sense it all that stuff. Oh yea, he was a farmer................ :up: :up:

• Like 2

Well if we all just adopted operating on the world standard, "Z", or Cordinated Universal Time, there would be no time shift. If you worked for a company that is global, like an airline like I do, you are already acustomed to that format. With "Z" time, there are no time zones or time shifts. For example, as I type this, it is 09:38 local time OR it is 15:38 (3:38 PM) Z time. When an airplane crosses the ocean or continents, it takes a given or fixed AMOUNT of time to make that flight. SO if it takes 6 hours to make the flight and it takes off at 12:00 Noon Z time, it will arrive at 18:00 (6:00 PM) Z. By looking at LOCAL times a flight that crosses multiple time zones STILL takes 6 hours to make the flight BUT the time shown on the clock on the wall will not reflect the 6 hours of travel time. If you are going east, the time on the clock will be as though it took LONGER than 6 hours and the reverse is true if going west.

By-the-way, in case anybody is interested and does not already know, you can get Coordinated Universal Time by calling 606-499-7111 or going the the "Official US Time" web site at http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Central/d/-6/java.

I have two digital clocks on top of the computer in front of me - one marked 'ZULU' and one marked 'LOCAL'.  That's for amateur radio use - radio events happen at the same time all over the world, using Zulu time.  Oddly enough, I never have to reset the Zulu clock, but I change the Local clock twice a year.  Just silly!

Posted at 2011Z, 5Mar14.

Edited by enfield
  • Like 1