Gun Rights, Can we make a difference for Tennessee?

DaveTN

So, is there not a large, influential gun organization in Tennessee to shepherd legislation through the General Assembly?  I went to the TFA page, but it looks like their last news update was from last year about the parking lot bill.

In Georgia, we have GeorgiaCarry.Org, which as been steadily moving Georgia firearms laws out of the Jim Crow era since 2008.  They literally write the bills that we want introduced each year.  The legislators still carve them up, but GCO has been quite influential in getting things changed.  The other aspect that they are active with is suing municipalities that won't comply with the law (Georgia pre-empts all local governments from enacting any gun law other than regulation of the discharge of firearms).

If Tennessee doesn't have a similar organization, then they need one.  This year, the various anti-gun groups specifically name GCO has the evil organization behind the attempts to allow carry in church and bars!  You know you are influential when the enemy targets you specifically.

That's a great series (I'm assuming you are referring to "Lead the Field"???). However, I don't think he would see any more hope here that I do for this particular bill this session. ;)

His theme of the power of positive thinking.  :)

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 1
Guest theconstitutionrocks

A bill has been presented (TN HB 1855) by Rep. Vance Dennis and Sen. Stacey Campfield that would allow all law abiding citizens in the state to carry.
http://legiscan.com/TN/text/HB1885/id/933578/Tennessee-2013-HB1885-Draft.pdf

I think the members of this forum and all pro-gun people in the state should act on this and not let it go quietly into the night.

I’m thinking a letter writing campaign would be a good start. I know email is easier, but physical letters coming into the office will get more attention if we can muster the numbers. IMO.

What do you guys think? Should we pick a time frame and try to mail them near the same time?

This is a big deal; I think we should act.

Thoughts?

Personally?...I definitely like the idea (Arizona, Vermont, Alaska, etc) however, I think that we as a state need to look at reciprocity issues with other states that require permits. I think that if a person WANTS a permit so they can carry in another state, that option needs to remain available to them. A change in federal law to "allow" carry without a permit would be great but I don't see that happening

Personally?...I definitely like the idea (Arizona, Vermont, Alaska, etc) however, I think that we as a state need to look at reciprocity issues with other states that require permits. I think that if a person WANTS a permit so they can carry in another state, that option needs to remain available to them.

This proposed legislation changes nothing about HCP permits. This will have no impact on reciprocity.

A change in federal law to "allow" carry without a permit would be great but I don't see that happening

They don’t have the authority. That “change” in Federal law would require "new" Federal law taking gun control out of the hands of the states and giving it to the Feds. Nothing about that sounds good to me.
  • Like 1

Personally?...I definitely like the idea (Arizona, Vermont, Alaska, etc) however, I think that we as a state need to look at reciprocity issues with other states that require permits. I think that if a person WANTS a permit so they can carry in another state, that option needs to remain available to them. A change in federal law to "allow" carry without a permit would be great but I don't see that happening

I don't think anyone is suggesting doing away with the HCP process nor has any of the bills presented to date suggested doing so.  And, it be a mistake to do away with the HCP - many, including me, feel it's as and perhaps more important to carry in many states (39 I think at this point with a TN HCP) as it is to carry within TN.

So, is there not a large, influential gun organization in Tennessee to shepherd legislation through the General Assembly?  I went to the TFA page, but it looks like their last news update was from last year about the parking lot bill.

In Georgia, we have GeorgiaCarry.Org, which as been steadily moving Georgia firearms laws out of the Jim Crow era since 2008.  They literally write the bills that we want introduced each year.  The legislators still carve them up, but GCO has been quite influential in getting things changed.  The other aspect that they are active with is suing municipalities that won't comply with the law (Georgia pre-empts all local governments from enacting any gun law other than regulation of the discharge of firearms).

If Tennessee doesn't have a similar organization, then they need one.  This year, the various anti-gun groups specifically name GCO has the evil organization behind the attempts to allow carry in church and bars!  You know you are influential when the enemy targets you specifically.

If you want to know what is going on with the TFA go to their Facebook page or get their legislative updates or go to their forum...better yet, go to a meeting where you'll be talking directly with legislators.Almost all the restoration of our gun rights have come from the efforts of the TFA.

TFA was instrumental in defeating a heavily supported establishment Republican who killed the parking lot bill and Republicans still in the legislature know not to take the TFA lightly.

..A change in federal law to "allow" carry without a permit would be great but I don't see that happening

....They don’t have the authority. That “change” in Federal law would require "new" Federal law taking gun control out of the hands of the states and giving it to the Feds. Nothing about that sounds good to me.

Yep, there is no federal law regarding that to be changed. Which, just like "universal recognition" of carry permits, is a good thing. As Dave says, that's another precedent we don't want.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Yep, there is no federal law regarding that to be changed. Which, just like "universal recognition" of carry permits, is a good thing. As Dave says, that's another precedent we don't want.

- OS

Exactly. Anything the fed.gov can force the states to allow today, they can force the states to prohibit tomorrow.

• Like 1

Why did this thread go from doing something positive to a complete political thread. I know we are talking about contacting our elected officials but I thought if you wanted a bill supported that is what you did. Where did I go wrong in thinking that? I just wrote to my representatives and ask them to support the bill. Wasn't that what this was suppose to be about?............................... :ugh:  :ugh: 

Why did this thread go from doing something positive to a complete political thread. I know we are talking about contacting our elected officials but I thought if you wanted a bill supported that is what you did. Where did I go wrong in thinking that? I just wrote to my representatives and ask them to support the bill. Wasn't that what this was suppose to be about?............................... :ugh:  :ugh:

It's difficult to talk about a political issue (and getting a bill through the TN legislature is pretty political) and not have the thread turn into a "political thread".  Besides, anybody is free at any time to further discuss/promote the bill in question!

Im a bit lost, from what I have gathered this means that we can carry without a HCP, or did I miss something completely? Or is it about where we can carry with a permit?

The bill itself would allow anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry a loaded handgun or long gun, knife of any length, or an impact weapon without a permit. If that's what you're asking.

It would not affect any of the other statues about prohibited locations as far as I can see.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

If this bill passes, how many people will be able to carry a weapon that can't add 1+1 and get the right answer? I know folks right now who would have no damn business in the world carrying a weapon!

Dave

I'd venture if they can't add 1+1, they probably can't read and don't care about the laws.  Still, if they do something bad with one surely there are other charges they can be brought up on.

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 1

If this bill passes, how many people will be able to carry a weapon that can't add 1+1 and get the right answer? I know folks right now who would have no damn business in the world carrying a weapon!

Dave

You could say the same regarding other endeavors. Idiot gun carriers don't kill .5% of the people that even licensed idiot drivers do. Perhaps people should have to pass a test and be licensed to procreate too, eh?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

There are already a lot of people carrying without a handgun carry permit in public.  You have some that are flat out criminals up to no good and some who don't have the time or money to get a handgun carry permit.  Then you probably have even more that have loaded firearms in vehicles without permits that otherwise are not criminals.

There are already a lot of people carrying without a handgun carry permit in public.  You have some that are flat out criminals up to no good and some who don't have the time or money to get a handgun carry permit.  Then you probably have even more that have loaded firearms in vehicles without permits that otherwise are not criminals.

Have a co worker that used to do this when she worked in downtown. She would leave her .45 in the car. Now she is getting a CHCP for her toy. I only open carried once and it was when I was walking my dog and heard some coyotes out. Other than that, did not like taking the risk.

Its been referred to the Senate Delayed Bills Committee as of Feb 13.  The makeup of that committee:  Ron Ramsey (Chair), Jim Kyle and Mark Norris.  This committee is "Responsible for initial consideration of resolutions calling for joint conventions and study committees and late filed bills and resolutions."  The fat lady has sung.

Think about it for a minute.  The House sponsor won his seat by 4 votes in the last election.  In the House, its been scheduled in Coley's Civ Just Subcmte for March 5 - his self-proclaimed "Gun Bill Day" - where it will have to compete with several other firearms bills, including the parks bill, for precious time in a one-to-two-hour session that's bound to be contentious to begin with.  Dollars to donuts it will be dispensed as "the sponsor takes it off notice" within the first ten minutes of the meeting.  The bill languished for weeks without a Senate sponsor, and was sent to the dead letter office in the Senate the day after it was finally picked up by Campfield (who, bless his heart, just can't seem to find his ass with both hands most days). 

But Dennis walks away with a talking point for November, where he can proudly proclaim that "he tried"...like hell he did...this was never intended to be anything more thatn a carefully orchestrated publicity stunt to save another RINOs ass.

• Like 2
Guest Lowbuster
I'm going to have to think on this one. There are a lot of idiots out there I don't care to see carry a gun. To many immature look at me so called bad boys that will give people like us a bad rap. Thugs that have not been caught yet. You need to be responsible to carry, I just don't see a lot of responsible people out there. I browsed many forums before signing up here, the reason I did is the way people thought and wrote their minds. No B.S. Unless joking, and straight forward. Not everyone is like us. It would be great if society could handle it, but I don't think it can.
Jmho

I'm going to have to think on this one. There are a lot of idiots out there I don't care to see carry a gun. To many immature look at me so called bad boys that will give people like us a bad rap. Thugs that have not been caught yet. You need to be responsible to carry, I just don't see a lot of responsible people out there. I browsed many forums before signing up here, the reason I did is the way people thought and wrote their minds. No B.S. Unless joking, and straight forward. Not everyone is like us. It would be great if society could handle it, but I don't think it can.
Jmho

Ya think paying a couple hundred bucks, getting a brief lecture on TN weapons law, and shooting 50 rounds at short range really significantly changes any of that?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 6
Guest Lowbuster

Ya think paying a couple hundred bucks, getting a brief lecture on TN weapons law, and shooting 50 rounds at short range really significantly changes any of that?

- OS

I would say not much, but some. But if that's the case, why are they not getting their hcp now?