Today is surgery day

Hope it goes well.  My wife's grandfather had his hip replaced several years ago.  Other than getting pretty loopy on the meds (which was hilarious   :rofl:   ), he did fine.  He's in his mid 80's and remains very active. 

Edited by peejman

Great news! Be strong and patient with and for her during the recovery and rehab.

Remember...this surgery really is for two. It will have an impact on you as well. Don't mean to overplay it, but it is true, nonetheless.

Ditto. My wife had knee replacement 13 months ago. It's not been a pleasant journey.

I sincerely hope and pray your wife has an easier and shorter recovery time in hers.

Holy cow, was that really 13 months ago!?

@zgunbear, you all will be I my thoughts. Here's to a speedy recovery! :cheers:
Guest Lowbuster

Just got home from the hospital. the surgery went good but took longer than expected
Rehab starts tomorrow morning they will get her out of bed and walking.

Wow rehab less than 24 hours in. I feel for the both of you.
Sent a few more prayers for you and yours.

2 steps forward 12 steps back. She is home from the hospital. Which was not the plan. She was supposed to go to inpatient rehab after she was released from the hospital however insurance changed their mind and decided she did not need it. So she is at home 4 days after a total Hip replacement and we are trying to make things work here.

It has been a rough craptastical afternoon. She is trying to sleep in her recliner and I am worried it will her her new hip.

Going to be interesting.

2 steps forward 12 steps back. She is home from the hospital. Which was not the plan. She was supposed to go to inpatient rehab after she was released from the hospital however insurance changed their mind and decided she did not need it. So she is at home 4 days after a total Hip replacement and we are trying to make things work here.

It has been a rough craptastical afternoon. She is trying to sleep in her recliner and I am worried it will her her new hip.

Going to be interesting.

"Not need it = we ain't paying for it?"

Need to get some sort of reputable rehab regime advice she can do at home, then. Will NOT likely be overall a good thing to just lay around after that "until it quits hurting".

Wow rehab less than 24 hours in. I feel for the both of you.

Hips are generally a whole lot easier to get over than knees. And yeah they get ya going right away. My mom walked a mile in gym a week or so after hers was done when she was about 78.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Hope it all works out for you all, I have to get my left one done this year - except it will require 2 surgeries.  Next month they are going in and removing the current hardware in the hip and on the femur, then it has to completely heal over the summer.. Then they will go back in and do a hip replacement.

Feel your pain on the insurance thing too man, after my accident the hospital sent me to inpatient rehab and after 14 days our insurance was trying to kick me out and send me to a nursing home when I could literally not even walk or go to the bathroom on my own.  Ended up going home instead of to a nursing home and it was really rough for a while, but it ended up ok in the end.

Do as OS says there and make her follow the rules/do the exercises. They suck so bad when you first start doing them, but if she doesn't it will almost guarantee that her recovery drags out longer or ends up not being as good as she could've been.

Yeah, the new insurance deals are a real joy.  Place I work has new insurance to meet "ACA" requirements, we now have a $7K deductible, but... they are a few months behind on claims, so I have already spent $12K on the wife's meds (kidney transplant 7 years ago, all the anti rejection stuff and calcium {Boniva} drugs are real expensive.  They have yet to 'realize that we have satisfied the deductible, and I am still paying for her meds each month.

We are just at the edge of seeing the perils of this noise, it will get worse, and quick.