German Shorthaired Pointers

Ok I am looking at getting a female GSP that is 8 weeks old.  Only problem is I will not have a yard for 14 months and I am researching costs.  I have an active lifestyle and want to take her hunting.  So I am not too worried about stimulating her mind and body.  I am just curious about "start up" costs with dogs.  My family has had them before, not any type of hunting dog, just lap/yard dogs.  I was also a kid so never paid for the dog's living expenses.  So I guess my main question is what would be the start up cost with owning these types of dogs.  

Thanks and any other input is greatly appreciated.  Will update with pics in a few moments.

Wait for 14 months until you have a yard would be my first suggestion.  They will be very energetic and even though you may take it hunting, it needs lots of daily exercise/stimulation.  I suppose if you are going to take it to a park or something every day that may be ok, but if you don't, plan on her making her own entertainment with whatever she can find. 

The costs long term are moderate, but well worth it.  Short term shoudln't be too bad outside of a good crate, shots, and some things like collars, beds, etc.   Good food is expensive and good vet care isn't cheap, even at a "value" vet.  It will be an active dog and hunting dogs will get hurt and require care.  I would highly recommend insurance for anyone with a new puppy.  In the long run I believe it will save you money.  If you were going to have a dog that never did anything, it may not be a big issue, but I can tell you from experience that fixing torn ACL's and extended stays at the vet because they ate something they shouldn't have aren't cheap. 

I don't want to sound degrading, but if you ask the question about costs because you are on a limited budget right now, it probably isn't the time to get a dog.  The initial cost may not be bad, but as soon as one injury or sickness comes up, it will be expensive and I hate to see you not be able to do what is needed if money is potentially an issue.

Edit:  I guess I didn't put a number.  I would say expect $400-$500 for initial costs (including spaying at 6 mo), and then $50/month for good food.  I would plan on a yearly vet bill of $500-$700.  It may not always be that much, but one issue can cost you $200-$300 a pop.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

Wait for 14 months until you have a yard would be my first suggestion.  They will be very energetic and even though you may take it hunting, it needs lots of daily exercise/stimulation.  I suppose if you are going to take it to a park or something every day that may be ok, but if you don't, plan on her making her own entertainment with whatever she can find. 

The costs long term are moderate, but well worth it.  Short term shoudln't be too bad outside of a good crate, shots, and some things like collars, beds, etc.   Good food is expensive and good vet care isn't cheap, even at a "value" vet.  It will be an active dog and hunting dogs will get hurt and require care.  I would highly recommend insurance for anyone with a new puppy.  In the long run I believe it will save you money.  If you were going to have a dog that never did anything, it may not be a big issue, but I can tell you from experience that fixing torn ACL's and extended stays at the vet because they ate something they shouldn't have aren't cheap. 

I don't want to sound degrading, but if you ask the question about costs because you are on a limited budget right now, it probably isn't the time to get a dog.  The initial cost may not be bad, but as soon as one injury or sickness comes up, it will be expensive and I hate to see you not be able to do what is needed if money is potentially an issue.

No real budget but I like to have all of my costs laid out in front of me.  I guess I am anal about that.  You are probably right that it is best to wait for the yard, even if I plan to take her to the park everyday.  Everything I read is you need a yard for them.  It is just to say no when all the cards are on the table.  :(

Thanks you for the input, I never even thought/knew about insurance on a dog.  I'm real green.

Edited by ls3_kid

I'll second what Hozzie said.  Generally, dogs aren't that expensive unless you just have to have all the high dollar accessories.  For me, the biggest expenses have been the stuff they destroy.

Do lots and lots of homework on pure bred dogs... they can have a number of congenital issues that can be very expensive to deal with.

GSP's are VERY high energy dogs, a friend has one.  It runs, and runs, and runs, and runs, and runs..... The dog originally belonged to another friend's neighbor.  They gave it away because they just didn't have time to deal with it and their 3 kids. 

I'd also recommend you think real hard about that before getting one.  If you're a single guy who works 10-12 hrs/day, raising a puppy isn't going to be easy.  Puppies need lots of attention.  Being stuck in a crate half the day is going to make training somewhat difficult. 

I'll second what Hozzie said.  Generally, dogs aren't that expensive unless you just have to have all the high dollar accessories.  For me, the biggest expenses have been the stuff they destroy.

Do lots and lots of homework on pure bred dogs... they can have a number of congenital issues that can be very expensive to deal with.

GSP's are VERY high energy dogs, a friend has one.  It runs, and runs, and runs, and runs, and runs..... The dog originally belonged to another friend's neighbor.  They gave it away because they just didn't have time to deal with it and their 3 kids. 

I'd also recommend you think real hard about that before getting one.  If you're a single guy who works 10-12 hrs/day, raising a puppy isn't going to be easy.  Puppies need lots of attention.  Being stuck in a crate half the day is going to make training somewhat difficult. 

That would be me, but I can also bring her to work, which is nice.

I'll play to the opposite end I guess. When I moved to Knoxville I got a rhodesian ridgeback. I've always been a videogaming apartment dweller, and after her first year she can be just as lazy as I am. I did get the puppy package at petsmart, and it saved me plenty. As an adult dog I only buy the adult package if I get a large vet bill for some reason. It just isn't worth it to me just for shots. For exercise I'll walk her, but I've been taking her to Pets-r-people-2 since she was 6 months old, and she doesn't need much more than that once a week. If you want her, can love and train her, and afford daycare on the occasion then I say get her.

Sent from the blue lagoon.

We had a GSP when I was growing up. She was also very loyal to our family, great around young kids she hadn't met yet, but never trusted strange adults till we introduced them to her. The UPS, FedEx, and Postman would never even attempt to enter our yard to deliver packages. She had a very intimidating bark and was a big dog.

She was highly intelligent, and required lots of play. Ours had a genetic issue (due to poor breeding) which caused a skin disorder. We were able to resolve it, but it required a very particular diet and grooming routine. We also never had issues with birds eating grass see or rodents in the garden - she would chase the birds, and catch and eat the rodents.

She finally passed at just shy of 14 years, from cancer. We were going to have her put down at 13, as it seemed her illness was ruining her quality of life, but she perked up around a new puppy, and decided to stick around for almost a year - her tumors stopped growing, and her activity and energy level jumped back up significantly. She probably trained the new dog better than any of us could have with out her.

She's a good looking pup.  Once you have your mind set on it I know it is hard to change.  I wouldn't tell you not to get her, just be very aware of what she will need in order to not drive you nuts with puppy antics.  Best advice I can give is "a tired puppy is a well behaved puppy!"

I will echo Peejman.  A friend of mine has a GSH who is an unbelievable hunting dog, but he is almost impossible to wear out.  I don't think I have ever seen a dog that will go 100% , 100% of the time like him.

Edited by Hozzie

I love the German Shorthairs too; and this one is, indeed, a beautiful pup... Havin said all that, ill join the chorus of those who say "to wait"...

Dogs need space to run and play, and the Shorthair is pretty energetic....

leroy

A yard isn't going to provide enough exercise for her. So you're going to have to make time to exercise her regardless. GSPs can be escape artists too so a fence wouldn't provide much security either. I say do what you want, just know that she will need your help to be healthy both physically and mentally

I can't help you with your decision but my did your post bring back some good memories!  My uncle, who was actually only 7 years older that I was, had a German Short haired Pointer named "Blitz" when I was in my early teens...he was a fabulous dog that my uncle trained for hunting (mostly pheasant at that time).  The ARE very energetic dogs and need LOTS of action (which between myself and my uncle we supplied in abundance).

Anyway...good luck with your choice and the new family member (whenever you take the plunge)!  :)

Expenses: Shots 6,9,12 weeks again at a year and every 3 years after that. Food - your biggest expense. Stay away from foods with corn, wheat, and/or soy. I use 4Health Grain Free from tractor supply ($35 for 30lbs) Crate - buy one large enough for her as an adult and use the divider in it. Training - start NOW. Don't ever stop. I suggest starting with a Petsmart puppy class. Once obedience training is finished you should then sink a few more thousand into training her for a hunting dog. Most bird dogs are not "naturals" I will disagree partially with the wait. If you are diligent with your routine and training classes you will be fine. You can over exercise a puppy under 18 months and cause long term issues. A note on spaying - if you can wait until she is over 2 years old it is better for her development. At the same time if you can't keep her or him from breeding then you should own the dog anyway. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

Please be sure to check the pounds and rescue's.  I understand wanting a full bred dog, but I can tell you there is no better feeling that saving one from the pound.  There are full bred dogs at most of them.  If you are really set on a GSP (great dog so no issue with that) you may also check some rescues.

http://www.segsprescue.org/