Broke my thumb!

Yesterday.  ... glad I finished the project I was on, because I am worthless today.  -Wasn't even hammering a nail...

I would post the x-ray, but I don't have web-hosting for images anywhere... crushed into pieces right at the tip.

Anyone else ever do this?  I didn't sleep at all last night - pain kept me awake. ... went to the clinic this morning, and after x-rays, they told me I should make an appt. with an ortho.

Black all over, swollen tight as a drum and numb at the tip.

aaaargh!!!    

:pleased: nah, no tears, just felt really, really stupid.  I just thought I smacked it pretty good until later in the evening.  It does feel (and look) that big. 

ok , I'm gonna ask, How did you smash your thumb?

installing oak stair treads... I was setting the tread with a hammer and block of pine....  for some inexplicable reason, I quit paying attention as I was drifting the block across the tread.  hammer-thumb-oak sandwich.

installing oak stair treads... I was setting the tread with a hammer and block of pine....  for some inexplicable reason, I quit paying attention as I was drifting the block across the tread.  hammer-thumb-oak sandwich.

Now that had to hurt.................OUCH!!!!!!

• Like 1

Been there done that, THREE times in my life.

The first time I went to the ER and learned my lesson. Several thousands of dollars in medical expense for an x-ray to confirm what I knew, a splint and a Rx for pain medication, not to mention the long long waste of my time.

Unless it's mangled or cut off, not much they can do?

• Like 1

Ok, I told myself I would not do this but there are plenty here who haven't seen it. BTW, these are separate incidents. I have also smashed my thumb to oblivion but no pictures of it but I did figure out how to sleep with my hand up in the air like a 3rd grader trying to get the teacher's attention.

My thumb met a very sharp knife and required a trip to the ER.
ec4c0fb7.jpg
2479c38e.jpg
96caac55.jpg
6e39539d.jpg
5ff54880.jpg

This one my thumb got sucked into a router bit and I decided I didn't need to go to the hospital even though I probably should have.

thumbday2-3.jpg

thumbday2-2.jpg

My poor thumb doesn't even look right and the skin grows all kinds of funky.

Hang in there I know your pain.

• Like 1

Hitting your thumb with a hammer is bad, I can hammer with both hands, so guess what I have done in the past.

Putting on my roof years ago, yep, first the right thumb, not 5 nails latter, left thumb.

• Like 2

Ok, I told myself I would not do this but there are plenty here who haven't seen it. BTW, these are separate incidents. I have also smashed my thumb to oblivion but no pictures of it but I did figure out how to sleep with my hand up in the air like a 3rd grader trying to get the teacher's attention.

My thumb met a very sharp knife and required a trip to the ER.
ec4c0fb7.jpg
2479c38e.jpg
96caac55.jpg
6e39539d.jpg
5ff54880.jpg

This one my thumb got sucked into a router bit and I decided I didn't need to go to the hospital even though I probably should have.

thumbday2-3.jpg

thumbday2-2.jpg

My poor thumb doesn't even look right and the skin grows all kinds of funky.

Hang in there I know your pain.

Sorry D-S but I have to ask this question? Why do you hate your thumb that much that you keep abusing it so bad?......... :ugh: :ugh:

• Like 1

Been there done that, THREE times in my life.

The first time I went to the ER and learned my lesson. Several thousands of dollars in medical expense for an x-ray to confirm what I knew, a splint and a Rx for pain medication, not to mention the long long waste of my time.

Unless it's mangled or cut off, not much they can do?

Agreed,

My only concern was that it was tight as a drum, numb at the tip, and cool to the touch (as opposed to all of my other fingertips - which were warm).  I didn't want to loose a thumb to infection or necrosis if somehow circulation had been compromised.  

Dolomite!  Holy digital carnage!  "got sucked into a router"... I would bet there is more to that story.  lol.  :)

May be we should re-release Dolomites pics before we accept out protechs for a little refresher training. I'm surprised they didn't want to take out the tip of the bone you broke off.
I've been lucky, was in construction and hit the wrong nail plenty of times. Other wise 3 toes and one soft break in a finger, was able to self heal. Stitches once for a slice in my palm had a cut like Dolomites once but just wrapped it and let it heal, no muscle damage. I'm a quick healer so that helps. Hope you are back to thumbing the way a man should be real soon!
Like Dolomite, I saved the time and effort by just cutting the tips of 2 fingers off. Never try to walk a chain on a sprocket with the motor in reverse. Your fingers will not slow the motor down the least bit! Then there was also that ugly incident with the chainsaw....

Thanks all - I took 1 pain pill yesterday right at noon.  That was enough for me - unless I hit it again while it is broken.   My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I cannot stand feeling "out of it".

-My only concern remains circulation.. and keeping infection from setting in.  Barring that, I'm good.

Guest Lester Weevils

Narcotics make me sick as a dog. The pain has to be worse than wanting to puke before its worth it, and hardly anything feels worse than wanting to puke. :)