Never Thought I'd See Wally Not Being Cheapest ...

... on Russian steel ammo. Both .223 and 7.62x39 Tulammo are over .30/round. Can beat that online by 5 to 7.5 cents per round delivered. Wasn't long ago it was the opposite.

That is all, over and out.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1148934" timestamp="1400113938"]... on Russian steel ammo. Both .223 and 7.62x39 Tulammo are over .30/round. Can beat that online by 5 to 7.5 cents per round delivered. Wasn't long ago it was the opposite. That is all, over and out. - OS[/quote] Right there with ya. 100 round federal .223 is $40 and change. After taxes I can get Wolf Gold shipped for a couple bucks cheaper and I actually prefer the Wolf.

Right there with ya. 100 round federal .223 is $40 and change. After taxes I can get Wolf Gold shipped for a couple bucks cheaper and I actually prefer the Wolf.

And the Federal bulk was lowest velocity against 3 Russian steel brands I did chrono on, too.

- OS

[quote name="musicman" post="1148942" timestamp="1400115099"]I've even found some ammo to be cheaper at Academy as well. Add to that the fact that Wally instituted a stupid one box PERIOD limit... I haven't bought ammo there in awhile![/quote] Really? On all ammo? The one here still limits 22lr, but nothing else

Really? On all ammo? The one here still limits 22lr, but nothing else

Yeah, I bought 20 boxes of Tula at one in 'Nooga yesterday, and could have bought about that much more.

I've not seen any of them with a one box limit on anything but .22LR either but have seen them mentioned on here. A Wally in Maryville was still limiting all purchases to 3 boxes last time I was over there about a month ago, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I do have to add that on the flip side, they had the best price on federal 9mm I've seen in a while. Got 3 of the 100 round deals myself. Around .25/per. Couldn't even find that good of a deal on steel case shipped around the webs Edited by KKing
I've quit buying from there anymore. Too high. They're going the way of Dicks and Gander Mountain. I've bought all of my 9mm from Freedom Munitions lately. Better stuff than the Federal 9mm and the .30/round Winchester WB at Walmart.

I've even found some ammo to be cheaper at Academy as well.  Add to that the fact that Wally instituted a stupid one box PERIOD limit... I haven't bought ammo there in awhile!

Absolutely true-I needed some .40 when I purchased my Witness,got the 100 bulk pak WWB from Academy for $36.00 a box,and no limit.Actually was cheaper than WalMart and they had plenty in stock.

WM has never been the cheapest when it comes to .223 and 7.62x39 but those Federal 100 round packs of .223 where kinda convenient at $34.97/box.  I also noticed yesterday those are now $40.97/box.  That's a $6 increase since June of last year when I last bought one.  That's a 17% increase which seems to be typical of Federal every year (at least at WM).

Over .30 a round? Your walmart is jacking you. I could have gotten .223 Tula last week for $5.49/box,  .28 a round. Or are you counting sales tax too. And if you are getting it for cheaper online, where? Because I haven't seen it any cheaper than that online when you count in shipping.

WM has never been the cheapest when it comes to .223 and 7.62x39 but those Federal 100 round packs of .223 where kinda convenient at $34.97/box.  I also noticed yesterday those are now $40.97/box.  That's a $6 increase since June of last year when I last bought one.  That's a 17% increase which seems to be typical of Federal every year (at least at WM).

17% a year is scary. I've noticed some calibers have increased even more. Take .38 spcl for example. Before the crunch I was buying .38 for $13-15 a box. That same ammo is now $21-22 at Wal-Mart. That's a 50-60% increase. That's the reason I haven't shot my LCR in almost a year.

Then look at .40S&W- I have a 100/rd box of Federal I purchased in early 2012 for $25. That same box of ammo today is $36. That's around a 40% increase.

And perhaps the most troubling- in just 10 years 9mm has increased almost 240% WWB 9mm was $5-6 in 2005. Hell, just a few years ago 9mm was $10/box. I can't find it now for under $13-14 unless you want TulAmmo.

My guess is that at some point ammo will become so expensive that demand will drop dramatically. I hope at that point prices go down some.

Well as I recall I heard rumors back when they decided they could not get our guys that made the decision to get the ammo and make the guns useless except as clubs so every department of the Federal Gooberment right up the federal dog catchers bought 100's of thousands of rounds of ammo to try and dry up all the ammo supplies to the American people. That didn't work to well either as most Americans have still be able to lay their hands on some. Yea prices are up but it is not empty shelves like the Gooberment was hoping for..............jmho If people keep shopping they can find a good buy on ammo they need or want. It just takes patience.........jmho

So, I had a discussion with one of the older employees at the nolensville and old hickory walmarts. The regional director over most nashville, smyrna and, I believe, mt juliet walmarts made the call to restrict sales of all ammo to 1 box. As for the federal 40 100rd boxes, their prices vary widely between walmarts. Antioch sells them for $36. Nolensville sells them for $26. However, antioch has AE 223 black box 55gr for under 7.50 a box. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Over .30 a round? Your walmart is jacking you. I could have gotten .223 Tula last week for $5.49/box,  .28 a round. Or are you counting sales tax too. And if you are getting it for cheaper online, where? Because I haven't seen it any cheaper than that online when you count in shipping.

5.47 actually, for both .223 and 7.62x39, but yep 5.47 + .50 sales tax + .10 state ammo tax = 6.07 =.30/round, actually a bit more with multiple boxes as didn't do the fractions which add up. Total price in hand is the bottom line, eh?

I've bought couple of thousand rounds of Wolf .223 in last 2 months from Sportsman's Guide for 25.5 /round delivered, and about the same amount of Wolf 7.62x39 for 22.5 to 23.5/round delivered from Sportsmans and SG Ammo, and some Red Army from Classic Firearms for right at.25/round delivered.

Bought a thousand rounds of Tula 7.62x39 at frigging gun show even for 22.5/round out the door.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

WM has never been the cheapest when it comes to .223 and 7.62x39 ...

I have honestly never seen Walmart being the cheapest on steel cased stuff....

Disagree. Even back when you could get Wolf and whatnot .223 for .21/round in hand online, the Wally Tula was cheaper by the box. Believe me, I'm a penny pincher on the ammo, and have watched the Wally creep compared to online, and they've only recently bumped up above it.

Main drawback with Wally over last couple of years was simply that you couldn't get a bunch of it at one time, either due to 3-5 box limits, or just because never much in stock.  But over last few months, I've been able to buy 500 or more at a time in stock if I wanted to at the few stores I frequent much.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators

Disagree. Even back when you could get Wolf and whatnot .223 for .21/round in hand online, the Wally Tula was cheaper by the box. Believe me, I'm a penny pincher on the ammo, and have watched the Wally creep compared to online, and they've only recently bumped up above it.

- OS

Oh I believe you, I have just never personally seen steel cased 7.62 or .225/5.56 at any Walmart at attractive bulk prices competing with online sales.

Since OS mentioned the federal 223 bulk being slower on the chrono, has anyone else noticed it being completely anemic? My dad bought some that we shot today and it felt weak to my shoulder, wouldn't reliably lock back the bolt, heck half the time it wouldn't push the carrier back far enough to pick up the next round. This is in a carbine that I've never had trouble out of and feeds everything including Tula and Wolf. Just found it weird. I don't even have a heavy buffer in that gun. Shot around 60 rounds of Wolf gold after that with no problems at all. I've had trouble with some of the Russian stuff not locking the bolt back on guns before, but never this many problems Edited by KKing

Since OS mentioned the federal 223 bulk being slower on the chrono, has anyone else noticed it being completely anemic? My dad bought some that we shot today and it felt weak to my shoulder, wouldn't reliably lock back the bolt, heck half the time it wouldn't push the carrier back far enough to pick up the next round. This is in a carbine that I've never had trouble out of and feeds everything including Tula and Wolf. Just found it weird. I don't even have a heavy buffer in that gun. Shot around 60 rounds of Wolf gold after that with no problems at all. I've had trouble with some of the Russian stuff not locking the bolt back on guns before, but never this many problems

My results, was testing diff tween velocity from 16" and 10.5" barrels, 3 shot average:

Monarch 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2929  Pistol: 2611

Wolf WPA 55gr 223:
Rifle: 2872  Pistol: 2546

Tula 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2843  Pistol: 2612

Federal Bulk 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2840  Pistol: 2536

- OS

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1149293" timestamp="1400202731"]My results, was testing diff tween velocity from 16" and 10.5" barrels, 3 shot average: Monarch 55gr .223: Rifle: 2929 Pistol: 2611 Wolf WPA 55gr 223: Rifle: 2872 Pistol: 2546 Tula 55gr .223: Rifle: 2843 Pistol: 2612 Federal Bulk 55gr .223: Rifle: 2840 Pistol: 2536 - OS[/quote] Hmm, that's odd, not a whole lot off from wolf WPA and Tula, maybe I just got a weak batch, or I could possibly have a gas problem trying to rear it's ugly head

Hmm, that's odd, not a whole lot off from wolf WPA and Tula, maybe I just got a weak batch, or I could possibly have a gas problem trying to rear it's ugly head

Yeah, dunno. Did test about 6 months ago, and the Federal runs my AR rifles and pistols and Mini14s fine. But I haven't bought any in at least over a year either, so maybe it's gotten to be more anemic lately or something.

- OS