Why Are Some S&W Revolvers So Hard To Find?

mhl6493

OK, somebody give me the bad news about Smiths' internal lock system. Just picked up my "dream" N-Frame off GunBroker and now I read this! It's an unfired 7.5" 657 made in late '07. Don't remember the Dealer listing that it had the lock......or that it was unfired.

That’s a hunting handgun; I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Many people get upset anytime a “safety” is added. There is concerns that it could engage if the gun is dropped or under the heavy recoil. If that is a concern to you; it can be removed. I would rather not have an IL, but wouldn’t let it stop me from buying if I found the gun I wanted. My 617 I bought new had one, but it’s a range gun, so it was a non-issue.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link, and the other info. Unlikely I will ever even hunt with this piece since I have a 6.5" ported 629.

Frankly, since I discovered it "unfired" I'm a little hesitant to load the thing and try it out. I usually buy shooters that I can go out and ....shoot!

Thanks for the link, and the other info. Unlikely I will ever even hunt with this piece since I have a 6.5" ported 629.
Frankly, since I discovered it "unfired" I'm a little hesitant to load the thing and try it out. I usually buy shooters that I can go out and ....shoot!

Its only 7 years old, and all Smith & Wessons have been fired. I would enjoy it; it won't impact the value unless you damage it.

OK, somebody give me the bad news about Smiths' internal lock system. Just picked up my "dream" N-Frame off GunBroker and now I read this! It's an unfired 7.5" 657 made in late '07. Don't remember the Dealer listing that it had the lock......or that it was unfired.

Buy the "plug" from the guy in the link posted above. Follow his instructions and replace the lock with the plug and enjoy. There have been several accounts of the internal locks inadvertently locking. I don't know how true or common this is, but it won't happen if the lock isn't there.

If you think you don't like revolvers DO NOT shot a S&W Performance Center revolver. I have a 325 TR, .45ACP and a 327 R8, eight shot .357. They are the sweetest shooting handguns around!

I thought you were a Colt guy? Don’t tell me you have finally seen the light. biggrin.gif

Can someone clue me as to how they test fire a stainless revolver and leave no powder flash marks on the front of the cylinder?  Smokeless powder that burns clear?

No, they fire them with proof loads and they leave a mark. On stainless the marks are very easily removed. My 686, 66 and 617 have thousands of rounds through them, but if you look at the cylinder face they all appear new.

No, they fire them with proof loads and they leave a mark. On stainless the marks are very easily removed. My 686, 66 and 617 have thousands of rounds through them, but if you look at the cylinder face they all appear new.

Dave, what's the best way to remove the powder marks from the front of the cylinder?  That's the place when I clean my revolvers that I can never seem to get clean.  Thanks!

Dave, what's the best way to remove the powder marks from the front of the cylinder?  That's the place when I clean my revolvers that I can never seem to get clean.  Thanks!

I use KleenBore Lead Away on my 686. Only thing I've found that works with ease. Found it on Amazon.
  • Like 3

I have not seen a  S&W 64 under $400-$450 in years and seldom see them now. I was in GT Distributors  in Roswell GA which

connects to Chattanooga TN  and the had a case full for $319 The one I looked over was in good shape with lockup. The 

salesperson said they were trade from local Parks&Rec Police.  They also had tons of S&W M&P .40 Atlanta Police trades

for $299 with three mags New to like new condition,seems Atlanta PD only had them a few months and hated them and

they went to Glocks. If you buy a pistol there they run it up the street to a shop in TN and transfer for fifteen dollars plus

your $10 tics.  

• Like 2

So I went to Fugate's today to shoot the LCP I bought there last Friday. And I just so happened to remember what Patton said about Carmen having a S&W 640 last week. So before I left, I meandered nonchalantly over to the revolver case, and sure enough, guess what I saw. It's a terrible picture, but it looks something like this...

100_0686_zps1950fdee.jpg

And no, there was no way I could leave without it. Simply too beautiful. My wife was with me, and I guess my big, sad eyes made her feel sorry for me, and she actually let me buy it. That, and my promise to not by another gun for quite a while... :D

By the way, thanks for the heads up, Patton!

I found one the other day and couldn't live without it. They are not coming around like they used to.

A533807B-3B9E-4C6A-BB4D-6E01D2551321-214

F55250D6-00DC-4BEA-898E-AE55BA8AFBF7-176 Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

I always used Never Dull Magic wadding to remove the powder from the front of the cylinder on my 686. I don't think I would recommend it for a blued gun but it works great on SS.

OMGosh, is that stuff still around? I used it 40 yrs ago to polish alloy wheels and M/C parts.

I found one the other day and couldn't live without it. They are not coming around like they used to.

A533807B-3B9E-4C6A-BB4D-6E01D2551321-214

F55250D6-00DC-4BEA-898E-AE55BA8AFBF7-176

Very nice find, Patton!  Yeah, Carmen said she doesn't get them all that often these days.  That's why I just couldn't leave without it.  

mhl6493, I looked at yours when I was up there the week before you bought it. The lock bothers me more than most people, but it is only because of what it stands for. Once she told me it was new I passed hoping that I could get her to get me one in the future if I really "needed one". I ended up paying "new" price for a barely used no lock model, but I was happy to see one.
  • Like 1

I have not seen a  S&W 64 under $400-$450 in years and seldom see them now. I was in GT Distributors  in Roswell GA which
connects to Chattanooga TN  and the had a case full for $319 The one I looked over was in good shape with lockup. The 
salesperson said they were trade from local Parks&Rec Police.  They also had tons of S&W M&P .40 Atlanta Police trades
for $299 with three mags New to like new condition,seems Atlanta PD only had them a few months and hated them and
they went to Glocks. If you buy a pistol there they run it up the street to a shop in TN and transfer for fifteen dollars plus
your $10 tics.

So is there a secret code or handshake involved with them? My dad just called to ask about the revolvers and was told that not only are they not yet for sale, but there was no info on models, condition, or pricing. :shrug: I don't doubt that you bought one, but how?

After a range trip I soak my guns overnight in a tub of gun cleaner. Most debris comes right off. If any rings are left on the cylinder face I use a toothbrush and Happich Simichrome; comes right off like it was never fired.

Guns that have never been fired are like Corvettes that have never been driven in the rain. biggrin.gif
  • Like 1

I recently got this one from JGSales.  It was a Corrections Dept. gun in California...looks new IMO.  They still have a bunch, though all that are left are DAO.  Apparently there are also currently a bunch of Smith revolvers of different flavors returned from Puerto Rico.  Search the S&W forum for more info.

SampW006a_zps70e92843.jpg

• Like 3