Finding something you really want on Ebay and its not buy it now

The last few years I have sadly become an Ebay patron.  I have bought Christmas, birthday presents, and yes......lots of AR parts on ebay.

Today, other than grilling the meat, I have watched two auto races and bid on an AR barrel whose auction ends at 8PM pacific.  Some twit who doesn't need or deserve this barrel put in a bid around noon, and I crushed him!  Now the minutes are counting down as Nascar goes round and round.

What have I become? 

LOL, in all seriousness, I do want this barrel and if anyone has dealt with this guy before, let me know.  His rating is 100% perfect (as is mine) so he must not be selling junk barrels.  This will, for the time being, be going on my TGO / CMT upper/lower until I can afford a JP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221447890828?_trksid=p2059216.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now if one of you comes in there and outbids me..... :slapfight:

Looks like at least 8 discrete bidders (showing), so it will almost undoubtedly go quite a bit higher.

Note that at least half of highly contested auctions are won by someone making one lone snipe bid, right at end of auction. Many are from the numerous auto sniping apps you can use, set your high bid and forget about it, makes the bid in last 5 seconds for you.

Same as you have done, I guess, by making your high bid and letting it override lesser ones automatically, but without showing one's presence there at all until the final seconds.

Hope ya get it for what you're willing to pay. Top rated seller with 100% FB of almost a grand, so certainly seems about as credible as you can find there.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I'm hoping dingbat is out drinking or something.  I will be watching at the 5 second mark but I don't want it to go much higher.  I've set my limit at 175 for this one.  If not, start over again.  I just really like the styling on this one.  The JP I want would come with a matched/headspaced bolt but I'll try and risk saving about 550 clams to get this one that just looks and feels like what I want.

Fireworks start at 2000 CST

Make sure to big oddly, I usually bid X.55.  I have won a many with the 0.55 increment.  I hate winning bids where I was beaten by $1.  OhShoot is right, the apps hone in on target with 5 seconds to go.  The days of outright bidding is gone.  I have learned as a seller, to have listing ending at about 9pm or 10pm EDT, that way people will watch their bid, and bid more than they should.  Items ending M-F during the daytime, from a buyer perspective, is more attractive and I have been more successful. 

Yes I am a dork, I study how I lost items, over, and over again!  I also, can detect certain patterns of items that may have sold way more than they should, and same items that sell for a lot less than they should.   Its a mixture of the seller, time of listing, time of ending, and day of the week the item will end.  Hint, some people have more disposable income around the 1st of the month vs. late in the month.  My :2cents:

Edited by Runco

Make sure to big oddly, I usually bid X.55.  I have won a many with the 0.55 increment.  I hate winning bids where I was beaten by $1.  OhShoot is right, the apps hone in on target with 5 seconds to go.  The days of outright bidding is gone.  I have learned as a seller, to have listing ending at about 9pm or 10pm EDT, that way people will watch their bid, and bid more than they should.  Items ending M-F during the daytime, from a buyer perspective, is more attractive and I have been more successful. 

Yes I am a dork, I study how I lost items, over, and over again!  I also, can detect certain patterns of items that may have sold way more than they should, and same items that sell for a lot less than they should.   Its a mixture of the seller, time of listing, time of ending, and day of the week the item will end.  Hint, some people have more disposable income around the 1st of the month vs. late in the month.  My :2cents:

My determined sweet spot for ending actions is 10pm eastern on Sunday. I think after I had been doing that for a while, I read it was indeed one of the highest traffic time periods.

And sure enough, I was selling some nice antique camera stuff for someone else on percentage one time, and the site crashed for about a minute right during actions ending, and a couple of the items went for a song compared to what they would have gotten. Even had some failed bidders get in touch afterward, when you could still do that after close of auctions.

- OS

I've popped e bay a few times for Gum items but I do so carefully. I'm usually more concerned over getting a part that was in a dumpster that shouldn't have been sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
If I see something I want on ebay, I'll just watch it until the end. then I'll bid my maximum in the last 3-4 seconds. I don't bid until then because I don't like driving the price higher. Congrats on the bbl... Nice score.

Good tip Runco.
  • Like 1

Well I just got a Yankee Hill Machine Todd Jarrett forearm, a Seekins Precision melonite gas tube and Odin Works gas block off ebay so the good stuff is there if you look for it.  Just look at the reviews and when you see china, run.

If I see something I want on ebay, I'll just watch it until the end. then I'll bid my maximum in the last 3-4 seconds. I don't bid until then because I don't like driving the price higher. Congrats on the bbl... Nice score.

Good tip Runco.

That’s what I do. Bid the absolute max I am willing to pay. It won’t go higher than the highest bid plus increment unless it needs to. Bidding before the end just runs the price up.
  • Like 1
Anytime I find something I want on eBay, I just hop over to Amazon and buy the damn thing. :D Seriously, they have the best/same price guarantee and the price is usually inline with eBay. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not related to the topic but, I heard on the news that anyone with an ebay or paypal account needs to change their password, apparently the sites were hacked. Maybe true, I guess it doesn't hurt to change a password anyway.
[quote name="K191145" post="1152530" timestamp="1401200496"]Not related to the topic but, I heard on the news that anyone with an ebay or paypal account needs to change their password, apparently the sites were hacked. Maybe true, I guess it doesn't hurt to change a password anyway.[/quote] I actually got an email from eBay asking me to change mine, as did other members of my family that I was with. I haven't heard the same about PayPal though

eBay only acknowledged auction site data was compromised to the news, not PayPal.

Course, they didn't even acknowledge to users that anything happened, just that needed to change password.

I changed both myself -- PayPal is where double jeopardy starts after all.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot