being an labeled an extremist...

http://news.yahoo.com/daughter-of-newtown-victim-speaks-out-against-joe-the-plumber-135839094.html

Lafferty, whose mother, Dawn Hochsprung, was the principal of Sandy Hook Elementary, in her op-ed, wrote, "It’s actually refreshing to see his [Wurzelbacher's] comments so unvarnished, so closely removed from this poor kid’s murder.  And I wouldn’t have dignified his disgusting comments with a response if it didn’t follow such a disturbing pattern among gun extremists in this country."

"Mr. Martinez and anyone calling for more restrictions on American’s rights need to back off and stop playing into the hands of the folks who merely capitalize on these horrific events for their own political ends." - Joe the Plumber

Not sure how I feel about being an labeled an extremist... Is Lafferty right?  Should we as responsible gun owners identify with that title?  I certainly don't feel extreme about protecting myself and my family. That line of thinking is more commonplace for sheeple who want to be able to write off large groups who don't fall in line with the status quo way of thinking.  How easy it is to marginalize "extremists" by affixing a label and putting it on a shelf.  There can't be any depth to the other side's arguments, can there? It's the equivalent of modern day type casting in my opinion.

• Like 1
I "EXTREAMLY" value my constitutional rights so I guess that makes me an extreamist. I'm getting to where I don't care what some people think or say about me anymore, if you don't agree with their liberal beliefs then you're an extreamist and racist and ect.ect. Those words have become a joke nowadays. Some people are not worth arguing or debating with, my response to them is, Oh well, there's not a damn thing you can do about it except b!tch and moan and call people names.
  • Like 1

I consider myself about as pro gun 2nd Amendment person as I can be. That you can take to the bank but there are moments where I also can see it from the other side when people do stupid things or say stupid things that reflect on all of us as gun owners and it makes it easy to see the other sides views. Like Black rifles in a restaurant to eat dinner really gives me a good look from the other side of things. Yes, they do have to right to do it and yes we fight to have our rights to carry guns to protect ourselves and our family and if it comes down to it protect our country BUT do they really have a place in a family restaurant. I think not. There have been statements made by famous people that I think were in bad taste when talking about the 2nd Amendment and our rights to bear arms. One of them was just recently made by Joe the plumber which I felt was unnecessary and out of line. It was directed at a mother of one of the victims of the California shooting  This was his quote from Joe the plumber (Wurzelbacher)  As harsh as this sounds — your dead kids don't trump my Constitutional rights," Wurzelbacher wrote on BarbWire.com. I'm sure he may have been right because many people have died fighting to protect our Constitution. I'm sorry but I cannot go along with the plumber on that. It was not his kids and I am sure if it was his daughter he would not have said it. Whether a person in Pro Gun or Anti gun the loss of a child hurts and it hurts a lot. As much as I respected Charlton Heston the statement he made to the families of the children lost at Columbine was out of line and I'm not sure what point he was trying to prove with it but it didn't set well with me. The NRA was having their annual meeting in Denver and several of the parents that lost children requested that the NRA move their meeting to a new location. Now of course that would be hard to do on such short notice but in one breath he lost a lot of my respect when he said very boldly with no compassion at all" We will postpone the meeting for two weeks". "GO BURY YOUR DEAD" The way I looked at that was if the meeting could be postponed for 2 weeks it damn well could have been relocated also and he was as cold as the hands he talked about when they would get his guns. I do realize that we need to stand firm on our beliefs and we are facing a tough fight from many sides on our beliefs but there are also times where a little compassion might go a lot farther than some of the words that come out of our mouths. I wonder how many of the children that died at Columbine had parents that were strong believers of the 2nd Amendment, Same with Sandy hook , Virginia Tech, the theater in Colorado. I don't recall anyone hearing the shooters ask their victims if they were pro gun or not? Crazy people don't care what your beliefs are. They just start killing with no discretion.   When we allow words to come from our mouths we need to be compassionate in a time when it is needed but we can also show the same compassion for our 2nd Amendment rights when they are challenged also. Statements made by Heston and the plumber were just words but they were as damaging as those black guns were in that restaurant was a couple weeks ago. They all gave ammunition to our enemies to use when they need to.  I don't like to be labeled as an extremist anymore than anyone else does but statements like Heston and the plumber made were extreme and the black rifles were beyond extreme to total stupid. As long as people do those things we give the real extremists reason to label us also.  There have been many many times that the Anti gun people have pushed the envelope far beyond where to post office delivers. We should never ever stoop to their levels or we are no better than they are.............JMVHO

• Like 1
Bersaguy, this is why they get by with exploitation, that we end up fighting from a losing position. We find fault with our side and give all kinds of sympathy to them. Joe's responding to those particular parents using their children's deaths as a political platform. Making a statement is one thing, organizing a speech with organized media attendance in a rally format is not grieving. It's an organized political event and as such sympathy is irrelevant because the grief us irrelevant. Edited by Smith
  • Like 1

Bersaguy, this is why they get by with exploitation, that we end up fighting from a losing position. We find fault with our side and give all kinds of sympathy to them. Joe's responding to those particular parents using their children's deaths as a political platform. Making a statement is one thing, organizing a speech with organized media attendance in a rally format is not grieving. It's an organized political event and as such sympathy is irrelevant because the grief us irrelevant.

When you lose a child for any reason people around you are in control of you and during a time of severe grief you will say just about anything anyone asks or tells you to say and you will say them even when in most cases they are not you actual feelings on an issue. The Press and Funeral directors are trained in the same school of depending on your grief to get what they want out of you and they play you like a bass drum to their tune. It is when people on our side strike back at that moment that is makes us look worse and we go down to or below their level. When a person who just lost their child says anything you take it with a grain of salt and say your sorry for their loss and walk away. You don't  say "YOUR CHILD'S DEATH DOES NOT TRUMP MY  CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!!!!". That just shows Joes own ignorance and that is what the anti gunners will use. They will say that this is nothing more than another heartless person that owns guns, what more can you expect? That is another strike against our own goals when you play into  theirs. I heard an Admiral give a speech while I was in the Navy. During the speech he made the statement I will never forget even though I cannot remember what the rest of the speech was about : He said

"There are times to speak out and show your intelligence and their are times to keep you mouth shut and not show your ignorance, but the tricky part is knowing when the right time is." I heard those words almost 45 Years ago and I remember them like they were yesterday................................jmho

Edited by bersaguy
Bersaguy they will call you names no matter what you say or do. You assume they are fighting fair. Bush is a great example. No matter how he tried to honor the office of president by not getting into the fight, he ostensibly let all those who supported his position take the hits for him. It's a noble thought but the reality of the fight is far different. They way you win these arguments is changing the false promise that they try to use. As long as we let them set the stage and fight by their rules we will struggle. You can be tactful about it but you have to change the premise and Joe was trying to do that. This is also how we get Rhino's. They let the dems set the premise and then they try to work within that framework. That's why most of them sound like democrats and there ones that reject it are labeled extremist. Edited by Smith
  • Like 3

Bersaguy they will call you names no matter what you say or do. You assume they are fighting fair. Bush is a great example. No matter how he tried to honor the office of president by not getting into the fight, he ostensibly let all those who supported his position take the hits for him. It's a noble thought but the reality of the fight is far different. They way you win these arguments is changing the false promise that they try to use. As long as we let them set the stage and fight by their rules we will struggle. You can be tactful about it but you have to change the premise and Joe was trying to do that. This is also how we get Rhino's. They let the dems set the premise and then they try to work within that framework. That's why most of them sound like democrats and there ones that reject it are labeled extremist.

I understand your position on this and do not disagree with you at all. It is and has been a tough road that we as gun owners face and it will not get any easier any time soon as long as you have crazy people running around killing people with regularity and nothing is being done to prevent it and that goes for both sides. In the issue in California there was a lot of warning that this was going to happen. He didn't hide his feelings and gave plenty of warning signs of his plans and no one did anything. Not thr Anti gun people or the Pro gun people. His family knew he had issues, his classmates knew he had issues and even his  psychologist had warnings in emails that he had issues and not one person did anything to stop it from happening. The said scenario played out in the theater shoot in Colorado. People were warned he had issues. He didn't keep them a secret. He even sent his psychiatrist emails telling her about his thoughts and she did nothing. Oh wait she said she didn't read them till after he did the shooting and found them later on her computer. failure for her to do her job and check her emails everyday could possibly have prevented the shooting as I think she had the emails on her computer 3 days prior to it all. Until people begin to put more attention to the many warning signs these people are showing and saying   and tehn acting on them  instead of taking the (I don't want to get involved option)  these shootings will continue.  I hate to admit this but Parents are the worst at preventing these situations by living in denial that their child has a problem. They are ashamed of what people may think rather than do what is right and get their child help. I have a grandson that was born with ADHD and in the early years he was a hand full to deal with. we didn't know his Father also had it as he kept it hid until after my daughter and he got married and it came out after he quit taking his medications and became violent at times and beat my daughter when she was with child. I went to Kentucky on Easter Sunday 1988 with my new wife to get her daughter from this man before he killed her. At gun point I sat him on his couch while my step daughter and her mother packed up all of her belongings and put them in my van. Before we left I made it very clear to him that is I ever saw him in Tennessee I would kill him. The next day I contacted the Bowling Green Police department and informed them of what I did and that they may want to keep an eye on him because he was a violent  person and suffered from the disease and would not take his medications. He had a couple run ins with police after we had taken my daughter away from him. Shortly after Matthew was born his father contacted my wife and asked if he could come and see his son. She told him he would have to ask me. I asked him if he was taking his medication and his reply was sometimes so my reply was no. A week later his landlord and police found him hung in his apartment in an apparent suicide. I helped my daughter get Matthew all the help that was available fr him while he was growing up. There was times we wanted to pull our hair out dealing with him and other times couldn't ask for a better kid. As he grew older and was more in control of his life he was more able to take care of himself and when he graduated from high School I paid for his college education in a Tech college and he learned computer technology and has been with Dell since he graduate top 5 in his class. We could have just given up on him like many parents do but I would not allow it. To this day Matthew goes1 time a month for a shot that helps him with his problem and many times a month he calls me if something is bothering him and we talk it out. I won't ever give up on him. But  takes family members recognizing a child's problem and addressing it and not trying to hide it. There is no stigma with admitting there is a problem. There is a stigma when it is ignored to the point we have a shooter and then the stigma seems to also be the gun and not the real reason it happened which in most cases the parents refusing to admit they had a problem child and addressing it..................JMHO

Hey! I drive a Volvo! It's a V8 AWD beast that's more comfy at 120mph than your living room couch! I resent that remark, Mike!

Haha! Just kiddin'... I'm used to the stereotype. ;-)

Good cars. You probably don't own it because it's "safe". My mental image of them coming to get my guns is that Obamacare girlie man driving a Volvo station wagon. It won't have a V8... too much carbon  :eek:

I am an extremist on several fronts. They call me that because I don't give in to politically correctness. Any stand you make that may possibly offend someone will get you the tag of extremist. I'm a Christian, I'm a conservative, I love guns. Liberals hate me, and I give not one crap
  • Like 1

Good cars. You probably don't own it because it's "safe". My mental image of them coming to get my guns is that Obamacare girlie man driving a Volvo station wagon. It won't have a V8... too much carbon  :eek:

I would not hold my breath waiting on them to show up any time soon to get your guns mike. I'm sure they have much bigger fish to fry than guys like us......Besides that it is an election year so they don't want to rock any boats right now...........jmho

Edited by bersaguy
The anti's fight with pathos and we fight with logos. Humans are emotional creatures - ergo we have the more difficult fight. They make counterfactual claims and expect to be believed because they say it coming from the "moral highground". And they have the nerve to call us disgusting -nay, they are the disgusting ones. "Never mind that none of the solutions being discussed by Martinez or any other gun violence prevention advocates in any way threaten the Second Amendment." This lie ranks up there with "And if you like your plan you can keep it" Baloney

It's the new buzz word.  Racist, homophobic and gun extremist are just the popular ones being used to demonize us.

It's gonna be funny when they get the war they seem to want and it doesn't go their way.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

Barry Goldwater, 1964

"A free people [claim] their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."

Thomas Jefferson

Let's face it, anyone telling you that you can't have any kind of weapon you want is not interested in what's best for YOU!

• Like 4

Oh, i had my encounter with one of those "environmental" Liberal groups a while ago. They were sending me all these requests for money, to join their cause in the over protection of the environment. Well, i got so tired of it i sent them a letter back stating my being a mountainbike riding, Atv riding, SUV owner, dirt loving enthusiast, that I would be contradicting their beliefs if i joined or sent them any money.

The letters stopped coming.... Now if i could get all these politicians to stop calling me, asking for my vote this august.