Went to range this morning!!! Dissappointed !!!!

Well, went to the range this morning. Had two guns to shoot I bought but had never shot. First one was the M four 22lr I bought from Jonathan. Gun performed flawlessly and was dead on at distance he said it is sighted in at. Disappointed in myself. It has been years since I shot a long gun without a Bi-pod in sitting position and it only took one magazine to remind me of why. First magazine dead on at 50 yards and every round center mass. By the end of first magazine shoulders were killing me with pain. I put in second magazine and had to quit shooting half way through it because of shoulder pain and could not hit center of target. Rested shoulders and finished 2nd mag. Got out bi-pod and sat down with third magazine and new target. 25 rounds could cover hole with half dollar center mass. Great gun, broken old man shooting.  Also shot a LCP I have bought and never shot so moved target to 15 feet and went through 2 mags 14 rounds all in the red so will be keeping that one for my Get Off Me pocket gun. Now have to decide what to do about M four 22lr since I will not beat myself up trying to shoot it.  Getting old sucks!!!!! ..................... :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

• Like 3
Guest Lester Weevils

It might be good weight exercise and you will get stronger if you just shoot one mag every range visit. Enough for some exercise, not so much that it is a chore.

I can't shoot rifle very good even with a rest, and it is just pitiful without a rest.

i must be missing the obvious.  How is a .22 hard on your shoulder?

Both rota-tor cuffs in my shoulders are destroyed and any time I have to raise my arms level or close to level with my shoulders it puts pressure on them and pain appears immediately. Pistols are even painful but not like a long gun and it is not the recoil that hurts. The pain is there before the first round is down range. It actually hurts when I shampoo my hair in the shower. Doctor told me years ago I needed to get them repaired or replaced but when I asked him  what kind of guarantee it would be better he was very hesitant to give an answer and he said honestly it could make it worse and 50/50 at best so no sense in spending 1000's on something that may not even help and go through all the rehab just to be where I am right now.

Guest Lester Weevils

Do you use hot menthol ointments and capzacin creme on your shoulders? Wally world sells something hotter than ben-gay, but the horse liniment seems hottest. The capzacin, used routinely, actually affects the nerves and perception of pain, rather than just masking as with the menthol cremes.

You may be even more decrepit than me, but I messed up a shoulder a couple years ago, fell on it out in the woods walking for my health. Hurt like a sum beach for near a year before it got better. I would rub in the capzacin and let it burn for an hour or so, then slop on the liniment to help drive the capzacin in better. Perhaps the main thing it does is burn so bad that you forget that the joint hurts, but seemed to help. Maybe grease up before going to the range, if you don't already?

There is also a prescription anti inflammatory cream, voltaren cream. Voltaren is a fabulous anti inflammatory. The cream seems to work best on joints near the surface like fingers, toes, wrists, but seems to help at least a little bit on shoulders. The voltaren will eat up your stomach if you take the pills very long (though it works great until your stomach dissolves). But the cream just works on whatever you rub it on, rather than messing with your entire system so bad.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Do you use hot menthol ointments and capzacin creme on your shoulders? Wally world sells something hotter than ben-gay, but the horse liniment seems hottest. The capzacin, used routinely, actually affects the nerves and perception of pain, rather than just masking as with the menthol cremes.

You may be even more decrepit than me, but I messed up a shoulder a couple years ago, fell on it out in the woods walking for my health. Hurt like a sum beach for near a year before it got better. I would rub in the capzacin and let it burn for an hour or so, then slop on the liniment to help drive the capzacin in better. Perhaps the main thing it does is burn so bad that you forget that the joint hurts, but seemed to help. Maybe grease up before going to the range, if you don't already?

There is also a prescription anti inflammatory cream, voltaren cream. Voltaren is a fabulous anti inflammatory. The stuff seems to work best on joints near the surface like fingers, toes, wrists, but seems to help at least a little bit on shoulders. The voltaren will eat up your stomach if you take the pills very long (though it works great until your stomach dissolves). But the cream just works on whatever you rub it on, rather than messing with your entire system so bad.

To date I just try to avoid making them hurt by not raising my arms except to shower and shampoo which is mandatory for me. Beyond that the occasional trip to the range with pistols which will aggravate them but not bad enough I can't deal with it but I know my limits also and don't push the envelope often. I try not to take an more medications that I am already on for my High BP so adding anything to take orally is out. Punished my liver bad enough back in my younger days so not pushing that issue either.

Thanks for the ideas about the ointments though. Might give them a thought. .................... :up:  :up:  

Dont sell the 22 rifle, you just might need a tree rat some day.

I really would like to keep it but I have a nail driver 22WMR that will provide tree rats and bigger critters if need be. I do have a universal bi-pod that will fit both guns and used it today for 3rd magazine 25 rounds and at 50 yards could cover the hole with half dollar coin..........will ponder over selling it for a while to see what happens

a person cannot have enough .22's.  Ammo or firearms.

Well, without ammo to feed them, the firearms do sadly become a bit beside the point, though.

I'm beginning to wonder if this .22 shortage thang isn't gonna be frigging forever for the most part.

- OS

• Like 1

Well, without ammo to feed them, the firearms do sadly become a bit beside the point, though.

I'm beginning to wonder if this .22 shortage thang isn't gonna be frigging forever for the most part.

- OS

I received a product in stock notice from Midway this morning,  it was .22 Blazer.  I literally was on their website within 10 second,  it was all gone.

I received a product in stock notice from Midway this morning,  it was .22 Blazer.  I literally was on their website within 10 second,  it was all gone.

Yeah, I get notice from Wikiarms alert thing, I check within seconds, always gone.

I fear if I ever do see a box of anything .22 at Wallyworld, my heart may stop.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Glad you are happy with the rifle performance! It was great while I had it, just not used much.

I am very happy with the gun all the way around Jonathon. It is a great gun and I have zero issues with it at all. Just an old man issue I need to conquer to enjoy it more....................... :up: :up:

Im still waiting for somebody to make a centerfire .22cal with .22lr power levels. The .22lr needs to be modified to rimless to feed better from magazines anyways.

That would be the .25ACP in the US, but it's weaker than the .22LR and I'm not aware of any rifles chambered in that round. I suppose if you custom chambered a rifle and used a slower-burning powder you could make it strong enough to pump up the power to well over .22LR levels.

Or the 5.45x18 Soviet, but again it's only chambered in pistols, and I don't think you can get them or the ammo in this country.

Might not be much left of a tree rat with a 25 cal round unless you can make head shots every time which is possible but not probable. I would still like to see a company take a look at building one.............jmho 

Man, I feel your pain....litterally! I have had 3 shoulder surgeries, and it wasn't fun at all for the first 3 or 4 weeks after. Now, it is awesome. I still get some pain every now and again, but not like before. If I may, there is a surgeon with Summit or Premier ortho. Dr.Sean Kaminsky......http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-sean-kaminsky-3ff8r.

This dude was awesome!! If this is the route you need to go, I would def. talk to him.

John