Purchased Honda Fit 2007 (Advice)

• Moderators

So yesterday we traded in the 1999 Volkswagen Jetta that has plagued us for a while. Now my Wife has a Honda Fit 2007 with ~95,000 miles on it. I've always been told by so many "Honda" people that Hondas are some of the most reliable vehicles you can buy. I hope this is the case.

Just wanting input from any available Honda people regarding to-do's, don't do's, should do's, and would do's.

Also, the finance lady at the local dealership talked me into "extended warranty coverage" from All-State, 48 month/48,000 miles.

https://allstatecarcare.com/Misc/PopUps/ViewOnBaseImage.aspx?OnBaseImageID=303

"Silver" coverage. Roughly $1,200 cost. $200 deductible. I told myself that I would not let myself be talked into this but sure enough I did. It sounds decent, but does anyone have any experience with the like?

Edited by CZ9MM

I once purchased the extended protection plan for my motorcycle. It cost $1,400 and covered all maintenance (all fluid changes, etc.), gave a 10% discount on anything in their store, put me ahead of others when I brought my bike in, did away with the charge to remove and remount the tires when changing them, eliminated the tire change fee completely, and extended the warranty on the bike for an additional two years. 

I ended up putting close to $3,000 worth of maintenance into that $1,400 plan, so it was a solid deal for me. In fact, the month before it expired the dealer did close to $600 worth of electrical work, free of charge.

But to be clear, the finance folks push these plans because they are clear money makers for them. They almost never pay out the full amount of the purchase. But that's how all insurance works. They wouldn't make money if they did. So if peace of mind is worth a few bills to you, don't let anybody talk you out of it. Of all the important things in life, money is moving rapidly down the list the older I get. I'll pay a bit of a premium to not have to spend my time performing maintenance on my car and use the time to go camping, etc. It's a no brainer to me. 

• Moderators

I'd double check the timing belt and water pump had just been replaced. They need that every 90-100k miles or so and will cost approx $850 on up to replace.

Yeah that's sort of what I am finding as I do research. However it has a timing chain and some conflicting sources claim 200,000 to 300,000 the timing chain should last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I also found out some of the Hondas come with timing chains and others with a timing belt. 

My 2006 Ridgeline has a belt.  If my timing belt breaks it has a tendency to tear up some internal aluminum parts

like the tensioners and such which can drive the cost way up.

We bought a 2013 toyota venza 6 banger awd last year and the first question I asked the dealer was, "does it use

a timing belt or chain. It uses a belt...ah well...wishful thinking.

The reason I mentioned it to you was so you'd spend a minute and confirm if you might need one. 

Edited by Lowpower
  • Moderators

Yes, I also found out some of the Hondas come with timing chains and others with a timing belt. 

My 2006 Ridgeline has a belt.  If my timing belt breaks it has a tendency to tear up some internal aluminum parts

like the tensioners and such which can drive the cost way up.

We bought a 2013 toyota venza 6 banger awd last year and the first question I asked the dealer was, "does it use

a timing belt or chain. It uses a belt...ah well...wishful thinking.

The reason I mentioned it to you was so you'd spend a minute and confirm if you might need one. 

So do you agree that the timing chain should last another good while?

Edited by CZ9MM
[quote name="CZ9MM" post="1166684" timestamp="1404850285"]So do you agree that the timing chain should last another good while? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] So you have confirmed it has a chain? I would be highly surprised if it has a chain instead of a belt. If it's a belt and it was me I wouldn't let it go too far past the recommended life. If belt breaks you can do serious damage since most engines are now designed with an interference between the valves and the piston.
  • Moderators

So you have confirmed it has a chain? I would be highly surprised if it has a chain instead of a belt. If it's a belt and it was me I wouldn't let it go too far past the recommended life. If belt breaks you can do serious damage since most engines are now designed with an interference between the valves and the piston.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2387884

According to.

• Moderators

Well, I am surprised. Does Honda list a replacement mileage for the chain? Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think I found something via Honda that suggests it *never needs replacing, for as long as the engine is "good".

How often do I need to change the timing belt on my vehicle?
Depending on the model year of the vehicle, it is typically between 60,000 and 90,000 miles. If your vehicle has a timing chain, instead of a timing belt, replacement of the timing chain is not required. Refer to the Scheduled Maintenance section of the appropriate owner's manual for specific information.

Edited by CZ9MM
Sounds like you can cross that concern off your list. :) As far as extended warranties, some you come out ahead on, some you don't. I came out way ahead on my Honda Odyssey since the transmission had to be replaced under the extended warranty timing. I lost on one I got with a Toyota since nothing major broke. For me, transmissions seem to be the most likely major component to fail. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Moderators

Sounds like you can cross that concern off your list. :) As far as extended warranties, some you come out ahead on, some you don't. I came out way ahead on my Honda Odyssey since the transmission had to be replaced under the extended warranty timing. I lost on one I got with a Toyota since nothing major broke. For me, transmissions seem to be the most likely major component to fail. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well...I guess the truth is if I go 4 years without having to replace anything major, I will be happy. If I do and the warranty covers it, then I will be happy. If I do and the warranty does not cover it for whatever reason I will be upset.

So you think the timing chain issue should be trusted as much as Honda claims?

Well...I guess the truth is if I go 4 years without having to replace anything major, I will be happy. If I do and the warranty covers it, then I will be happy. If I do and the warranty does not cover it for whatever reason I will be upset.

So you think the timing chain issue should be trusted as much as Honda claims?

I've got no experience with Honda except a bike.
But as a mechanic, I learned with belts, the belts wear, with chains , you have metal to metal with pivoting metal parts. So they wear as does the pulley. I would follow Hondas advice though, it's their product, their engineers. I would just ensure the oil changes are done faithfully.
Congrats on getting rid of the Mexican built problem child!

Just wanting input from any available Honda people regarding to-do's, don't do's, should do's, and would do's.

1)  Get rid of that warranty, you don't need it. 

2)  Change the air filter and oil reguarly. 

3)  Drive the crap out of it.

4)  Don't jump it or enter demolition derbys with it. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1
I bought a brand new 2007 Honda Fit when they came out. Before 60,000 miles I had replaced coil packs and spark plugs twice, multiple wheel bearings, headlights, the car also had multiple recalls while I had it. I had to purchase special batteries so the car would start if it was and colder than 50 degrees outside. The car also had AC and electrical issues. The car was NEW and I thought new cars didn't have issues. ☺ The car was constantly at the dealer for repairs and the only thing covered under warranty was the recalls. Hopefully yours is not like that, but I would have bought the upgraded warranty had I of known what I do now.

I bought the extended warranty for my Venza because it has a big fancy computer running everything along with an electric steering system.

I figured I'd be putting 10k a year on it and was able to get a 7 year warranty on all of it. I plan to take it into retirement. 

My Ridgeline does require the belt/water pump change every 100k or so. I have 158k on it now. The only other problem is the awd means I 

have to rotate and change the tires on a schedule. The only other issue I've had with it is some of the dash lights go out and have to be replaced from time to time.

I plan on tossing a new engine in it in about 3 years then I will take it into retirement with me. A local dealer can get me a brand new "pull out" engine for my RL

for around $2k. I love that truck and will keep her running until I hand it off to of the great grand kids....

The last thing I've ever heard about a timing chain is they out last the engine, and the car so your good with that!

Edited by Lowpower

I bought a brand new 2007 Honda Fit when they came out. Before 60,000 miles I had replaced coil packs and spark plugs twice, multiple wheel bearings, headlights, the car also had multiple recalls while I had it. I had to purchase special batteries so the car would start if it was and colder than 50 degrees outside. The car also had AC and electrical issues. The car was NEW and I thought new cars didn't have issues. ☺ The car was constantly at the dealer for repairs and the only thing covered under warranty was the recalls. Hopefully yours is not like that, but I would have bought the upgraded warranty had I of known what I do now.

Sorry to hear this! Geez! 

When someone says you don't need a service contract on a 95k mile unit, I guess that means they will step up and take care of your repairs IF needed. You don't need insurance either since you're not planning on using it, right? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's a bad deal.
  • Moderators

Well. I really hope that I don't end up this bad!

• Moderators

Can we see a pic of the New "To You" Car! :)

WUCSgH2.jpg

We really like the show "Psych". In the show their Toyota Echo they call it "The Blueberry".

My Wife loves raspberries so she has already named it "The Raspberry".

She's awesome like that.

• Like 1