Thinking of selling all my .22lr stuff

• Moderators
So, years ago when I first saw the Marlin XT-22TSR I fell in love with it. Took me a while to find one but when I did I instantly bought it.

Recently I found a Nikon P22 scope and bought it. I have probably 1000 rounds of .22lr. I have not shot the thing for probably three years even though I would love to shoot it every time I go to the range. Ammo ability (of the lack thereof) is why I no longer shoot it.

When I can reload 9mm for about $0.10 a round, why have a 22?

So I figure I could probably sell the rifle, ammo and scope for $450. I figure if .22lr ever becomes cheap again I can purchase another rifle and ammo. Wouldn't mind having $450 right now. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a collector so if you don't shoot it, I see no issue with selling it.  There are a lot of 22's out there.  If you decide later you want another, there will be plenty to choose from.  If it was a Winchester 52C that may be another matter.

I have by many folks' standards a quite large stash of .22LR. But since I can't replace it without paying so much I'd feel stupid and angry doing it, I'm not shooting much of it.

I shot a brick every two weeks or less for maybe three years straight before the panic, I've maybe shot two bricks since Sandy Hook.

But I guess I'll hold onto my various .22 rifles and pistols, even though I'm beginning to think this is the new normal, period.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

I agree with OS.  They don't really cost you anything just sitting there, but could cost a small fortune to replace later. 

But that's just it I suppose. I am not interested in having a firearm I cannot shoot because then I'll be out of ammo and then I cannot buy ammo for because I cannot find it without paying someone on Armslist for it. I had a guy brag to me that he sold CCI for $15 per 100. IF .22lr is ever again readily available I would purchase a .22lr very quickly. But if it is going to be like this or worse, I no longer have as much interest in .22lr as I do larger calibers. Which is sort of why I created this thread. Everyone seems to say you "need" a .22lr (would be 100% true if bulk ammo was everywhere). I'm just thinking the opportunity cost of this could be better spent somewhere else, such as bulk reloading supplies or the like.

Like OS, I'm not shooting .22 very much lately.  I got a Henry .22 this year and would like to shoot it more often.   Just a few years ago, it was 9 mm that I couldn't find and before that .380.  I'm not ready to sell any of my ammo or guns now or likey anytime in the near future. 

I put together a dedicated 22lr in AR form and shot it a lot at first-was a ton of fun I might add-then a few months later we had the new wave of delirious anti gun propaganda hit and now I barely shoot it maybe every couple of months.I picked up a new Ruger 22/45 thats probably fed 300 rounds since new-2 years ago now.I will not sell off anything yet.I keep hoping by storing my 22 ammo in a dark spot they will get the hint and start to reproduce-although I highly doubt it.Guess all a person can do is hope and wait-maybe the market will stabilize one day.

Over the years, I have heard many people say, I wished I still had ______, I wished I hadn't traded ______, only if I still had ________.  I was needing money, or I wanted something different, man I miss __________.

I haven't heard too many people say, whew what a great decision I made 10 years ago, to get rid of ___________, no regrets. 

Unless they are coming for your house, car, or if your kids are barefoot, keep it.  Save your pennies for something new!  Thats how heirlooms are made!

The 22 is out there, and for more reasonable prices now. It's not pre-panic, but Monday afternoon I got a brick of Federal for $25.xx out the door at Academy. Don't sell the gun. When you see a 50 round box under $4, buy it. I've watched folks sniff their nose at a 50rd box on the shelf at a good price only to complain about not seeing a brick. Buy the 50 when you can!

Hold on. If you've waited this long to shoot 22, now is not the time to throw in the towel. That was 18 months ago.
  • Like 4
I gotta agree with how Runco put it...unless I needed the money, I would regret selling it. I do have to agree with you about one thing...I can reload 9mm Luger, 9mm Mak, and .45 ACP cheaper than I can buy .22LR. That does make it hard to want to shoot up the .22LR that I do have. However, I can wait it out....this couldn't possibly last forever.

there is .22 out there for not a total rip off price.  The new normal is a bit higher now.  But so be it. 

Well, I can't find it.

I got a Wikiarms email alert at 4 am the other night, my email is set to check every 2 min. Went immediately to source, put 8 bricks in cart,  was gone before I could check out. If I can't score any at 4am, looks kinda bleak in general. And hell, it was just Thunderbolt, too

I've gotten exactly 1 box of 50 in a walk in since Sandy Hook. But no, I'm not gonna pay over a nickel a round either.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I'm buying from LGS and have rarely bought a brick since Xmas. I have scored on MANY 50 round boxes, quite a few 100 round, and even a bucket'o bullets too. It's out there, just different than before.

I won't be selling any guns anytime soon, heck I'd probably start with the Enfield first, you want to talk hard to find/expensive for what was a common as dirt not too long ago...

Well, I can't find it.

I got a Wikiarms email alert at 4 am the other night, my email is set to check every 2 min. Went immediately to source, put 8 bricks in cart,  was gone before I could check out. If I can't score any at 4am, looks kinda bleak in general. And hell, it was just Thunderbolt, too

I've gotten exactly 1 box of 50 in a walk in since Sandy Hook. But no, I'm not gonna pay over a nickel a round either.

- OS

there in lies the issue  LOL  seems 8 to 10 cents is the new normal for now.