GoPro Hero at the range?

While staying with a friend a few weeks ago he bought a GoPro Hero3+. These things are really cool. I knew they were small but didn’t realize how small.

I thought I was going to wait for the HeroX that was supposed to come out in June, but now they are talking next year. I can’t wait that long.

How do you guys like yours? Do you use them much? While shooting on that trip I was thinking with the WiFi I should be able to set the camera near the target and view my shots on my phone?

I just checked mine and the signal gets lost at about 70 feet but that was with a couple of walls in the way. I never knew about this but it is really cool because I use it some when I shoot but now it will be easier to turn on and record. Last time I used it I thought I was recording but after a couple of hours I found out I wasn't.

My mailbox is over 100 yards away. If I remember I will test it tomorrow.

My only concern is some jackwagon at the range deciding to shoot it. A few years ago I brought some mild steel targets for me to shoot with my 22s at 100 yards. I went down the line and asked everyone not to shoot it. And within 20 minutes someone had put holes in the target.

I have a Go pro hero3, 2 and the original ( non-hd) loved the hero 2 and 3 for use when i would go atv riding. Haven't used the wifi with my phone yet because for some reason my camera dosent want to work with my phone. I guess one day I'll have to upgrade. Not anytime soon though.

If you look on Amazon, they have battery kits and chargers by Wasabi for about $24. for 2 batteries and a charger.

I have a Go pro hero3, 2 and the original ( non-hd) loved the hero 2 and 3 for use when i would go atv riding. Haven't used the wifi with my phone yet because for some reason my camera dosent want to work with my phone. I guess one day I'll have to upgrade. Not anytime soon though.

If you look on Amazon, they have battery kits and chargers by Wasabi for about $24. for 2 batteries and a charger.

You have to turn on the GoPro then turn on the wifi for it. Then you have to connect your phone to the GoPro's wifi network just like you connect to a home, or public, network. But before you connect you need to launch the app once then close it, connect your phone to the GoPro wifi through the network settings on your phone. Then, after the phone is connected to the GoPro wifi, you launch the app and connect to the phone. 

Once you connected once that it is super easy after that.

It took us a few times to figure it out and we finally had to watch some videos and read some websites.

• Like 1
I picked up a Hero a few weeks ago. Used it a few times with the head mount while shooting. I also bought the screen attachment just because operating using my iPad was cumbersome. What I did not get was the floating attachment thinking the tripod attachment was secure. Well I learned differently when riding a jet ski in the ocean and watching the camera fall off into the abyss. Still sick about it and I am punishing myself by not buying another one for awhile.
I have a Hero2 mounted on my bow. It's a cool perspective when I fire an arrow with an illuminated knock. I figure the next time I miss a deer, I can replay the moment lol. These little cameras are fun. One day I would like to upgrade to a wifi model though.

Mine rarely gets used. Bought it for Scuba diving but cheaped out on the SD card and lost the video. Here's a video I shot for the hell of it at the range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PomAETcxINU&list=UUCVryF2JxraSV_JCLdE5QZA

You have to turn on the GoPro then turn on the wifi for it. Then you have to connect your phone to the GoPro's wifi network just like you connect to a home, or public, network. But before you connect you need to launch the app once then close it, connect your phone to the GoPro wifi through the network settings on your phone. Then, after the phone is connected to the GoPro wifi, you launch the app and connect to the phone. 

It took us a few times to figure it out and we finally had to watch some videos and read some websites.

Apparently it's my go pro that is bad. Won't connect to anything other than the included remote. I followed your instructions to the T and no worky.

They do say you have to turn the app off then open it up again when you first do it.

Are you able to connect to the camera's WiFi network? It is under the settings on the iPhone. You connect to the camera like any other network. Then once connected you open the GoPro app, try to connect, but before it does close the app, open it up again and connect. Then it should connect every time after that without the need to restart.

After that you should see what the camera sees but with a 3-4 second delay. You can also change all the camera settings from the iPhone as well.

I tried it, and still nothing. I may have to try to access it out away from all the other wi fi signals here in Suburbia.

Funny thing is my remote works fine. Just would be nice to see what i'm videoing before i edit it.

I picked up a Hero a few weeks ago. Used it a few times with the head mount while shooting. I also bought the screen attachment just because operating using my iPad was cumbersome. What I did not get was the floating attachment thinking the tripod attachment was secure. Well I learned differently when riding a jet ski in the ocean and watching the camera fall off into the abyss. Still sick about it and I am punishing myself by not buying another one for awhile.

If by chance you don't get the floaty thing. Do what I do on any cameras around water. Lanyard or cable them to the vehicle you are on or to your person. Saves a $200-$400 camera.

If by chance you don't get the floaty thing. Do what I do on any cameras around water. Lanyard or cable them to the vehicle you are on or to your person. Saves a $200-$400 camera.

Yea, I had it attached to a short flexible tripod that was rapped around the handle of the jet ski. Hit a wave and it snapped right off the tripod, hit my leg and plunk into the deep blue yonder. Hard to believe I was that STUPID.

Remember anything not tied down can come off. One reason when I go Kayaking with my cameras i make sure they are tied to either my lifejacket or the boat. Sorry you had to make an expensive mistake.

I usually carry my cell phone with me( sometimes i have just forgot it in my truck). But i have a lifeproof case and still encase mine in an enclosed floating otterbox just in case. I'm usually overprepared with my expensive stuff.

thanks for the tip. i finally gave up
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

For those that were talking about the float accessory, here is a nifty idea for those that do not wish to buy one:

http://lifehacker.com/turn-a-bottle-cap-into-a-cheap-diy-gopro-float-1616501564

My only addition would be to take some bright paint and paint the inside of the Coke bottle and let it dry. That way when it is in water the bright paint with show up easier but since it is on the inside it wouldn't wear off.

You could also attach something like this to/in the bottle to help you locate the GoPro if it ever floats downstream too quickly.

http://www.thetileapp.com/

Edited by CZ9MM

Skimmed the thread so this may have already been stated.

They make a picatinny rail mount for the go pro. Doesn't do much for downrange, but it does give some call of duty angles. Would be fun in a shoot house for sure

I lucked up and got a first gen gopro out of a bargain bin at REI during one of their junk sales for like $60.