Thinking about a 22 magnum rifle.....tell me about yours

• Admin Team
I wouldn't hesitate to do one in .17HMR even though I think everyone's insurance is making them back away from semi .17s.

You're just going to have to know going in that you're likely to need some tuning. My money's in other builds right now, but an 80% .17HMR is on my list.

How about a Ruger 10/22mag?

I had one but never shot it after reading about all the problems with them. I traded it for a Mini 14.

I want a bolt action; perhaps stainless steel.

The CZ's look good to me. I'm also considering a Savage or Marlin. Does Ruger still make a 77/22 with the boat paddle stock?

• Like 1

I had one but never shot it after reading about all the problems with them. I traded it for a Mini 14.

The CZ's look good to me. I'm also considering a Savage or Marlin. Does Ruger still make a 77/22 with the boat paddle stock?

I don't think they still make them in the boat paddle, but that would be a good pick if you want stainless. My buddy has one in 22lr and it is a fun gun. Pretty accurate as well.

I have a stainless Marlin in .17 HMR. The magwell is a little cheesy, but it's accurate. I'm tellin' ya, you gotta fondle a Henry before you make the jump.

Edited by mikegideon

I have a stainless Marlin in .17 HMR. The magwell is a little cheesy, but it's accurate. I'm tellin' ya, you gotta fondle a Henry before you make the jump.

I must be the only person who can't get past the horrible blue job on Henry's.  They look like they were sprayed in a paint booth.  They may shoot ok, but I just can't get past the cheap look of the metal finish.  Some of the higher end one's may be ok, but the standard version leaves a lot to be desired in the finish department imo.

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but Henry just doesn't make anything that trips my trigger, so to speak.

The thing I dont get about Henry is, why in the flying f*ck do they have to make them where they load from the muzzle instead of the receiver like a Winchester ot Marlin. I would own several of their rifles if they loaded through the receiver like normal.
  • Like 1

The thing I dont get about Henry is, why in the flying f*ck do they have to make them where they load from the muzzle instead of the receiver like a Winchester ot Marlin. I would own several of their rifles if they loaded through the receiver like normal.

You've never operated a Winchester 62A. I sort of like a tube loaded rifle. A loading gate or two has been known to grab my finger the wrong way.

It's much easier to unload a tube-fed lever action rifle instead of racking each round to clear it. 

• Like 1

The 93 Savage shoots great, and with the accu trigger, it is easy to shoot small groups. I would recommend one for an inexpensive small game, rodent, and varmint rifle.

It'll really be great when you can buy ammo for it again!

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2578_zps9e808fdc.jpg.html]IMG_2578_zps9e808fdc.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2577_zps26381016.jpg.html]IMG_2577_zps26381016.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2576_zps643ff7a3.jpg.html]IMG_2576_zps643ff7a3.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2579_zpsc67aeab8.jpg.html]IMG_2579_zpsc67aeab8.jpg[/URL]

While a 2" 100 yard group isn't match accuracy, one flier keeps it from being 1.5". For a lightweight, $225 new American made rimfire rifle with a great trigger, it'll suit my needs just fine.

IMG_2578_zps9e808fdc.jpg

IMG_2577_zps26381016.jpg

IMG_2576_zps643ff7a3.jpg

IMG_2579_zpsc67aeab8.jpg

While a 2" 100 yard group isn't match accuracy, one flier keeps it from being 1.5". For a lightweight, $225 new American made rimfire rifle with a great trigger, it'll suit my needs just fine.

I have the same gun in 17 HMR. Ain't nothing wrong with it. You can probably see what I'm saying about the mag well being a little wiggy. Mine shoots under an inch at 100, probably because of the real good spitzer bullets.

I just have some odd boxes of old ammo. I would be surprised if mine won't do better with new, high quality ammo. If I can ever find some, I'll give it a try. My magazine isn't that wobbly. For a cheap truck gun, this should work well.

• Admin Team

I've been impressed by every variant of the Savage 93 series that I've shot.  I've got one of the thumbhole variants in .17HMR, and it's one of my favorite rifles.  It's a tack obliterator.

For the money, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat them on a new production rifle.

I just have some odd boxes of old ammo. I would be surprised if mine won't do better with new, high quality ammo. If I can ever find some, I'll give it a try. My magazine isn't that wobbly. For a cheap truck gun, this should work well.

I'm an idiot. Mine is a Marlin. Looks just like it, except for the accutrigger.

Yeah, I can't find the pics right now - honestly not even sure if I took any - but I was surprised how much difference the ammo type used made in my Marlin when I tested several side-by-side.  As I said, before, the most accurate/tightest groups I got were from the (fairly expensive) Remington Accu-tip (which have a polymer tip which I suppose makes them a 'spitzer' type bullet.)  Next, kind of surprisingly - and very close in results to the Accu-tip - were some Fiocchi rounds I had that I would call semi-jacketed flat nose.  If my memory serves correctly, the next most accurate were Winchester Supreme followed by Winchester Super X HPs.  The bottom of the heap were CCI Maxi-mags, both solids and HP.  Honestly, Maxi-mags have been the least consistent, accuracy wise, out of every gun from which I have done comparisons (the Marlin 925M, my Rough Rider revolver and my NAA mini revolver.)  The Rossi pump seems to be pretty accurate with them, though, and even in everything else they were 'good enough' that I would buy them if I actually saw some..

Edited by JAB

I'll try some different ammo if it ever becomes available again. The group posted was shot with CCI Maxi Mag +V. I have some old Winchester HPs that shoot better, but didn't have it out there at the same time as the camera. They print about 1 1/2", and I have the scope adjusted to them. I also have some sort of 30 something grain Remingtons. They don't do very well.

I was fishing through some older "Gun Tests" magizines and found this review of 3-.22 magnum rifles in the July 2009 edition. They reviewed the Ruger 10/22 magnum which they said was discontinued, they gave it a "C" grade and was dissapointed in it's accuracy. They reviewed the Henery model H001M .22magnum, gave it a "B" grade and also said they were dissapointed in it's accuracy. Then they reviewed the Marlin 983S stainless steel .22magnum and gave it an "A-" grade, 12 shot tube fed bolt action. They said it had good accuracy, it has a nice looking laminated stock, just a good looking rifle. Here's the link on it, like I said this edition of GT magizing was 2009.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22WinMagnum/983S.asp

I have a marlin ssv ,very accurate & is my go to squirrel gun when I might have a shot at yotes or other larger than squirrel critters. 3 shots less than 1" at 100y with cci . I normally hunt with Winchester hollow points as soft points are hard to find at times. fmj bullets are not legal to hunt with. im not sure if a game warden would ck my rimfire ammo but I wont take a chance  lol