Comcast customers power cycle your modems

DaveTN

The wife said we had a message on the answering machine from Comcast that they increased speed and we needed to power cycle the modem/router to take advantage of it.
I went from 60-70 to 121 Mbps.
This has been a public service announcement. biggrin.gif

No change for me, but I'm getting the 25 Mbps I'm paying for.  I don't use Comcast equipment, but my own stuff is rated up to 175 Mbps, so if they widened the bandwidth for everybody, I should have seen it.

How do you check your speed?

http://www.speedtest.net if you want to use one not embedded into a Comcast website...outside source and all.

no change here either in fact, for grins I checked my wi-fi speed on my phone vs AT&T's data speed. The results impressed me. Wi-fi best time: 18 megabits down, 7 megabits up avgerage: 10.5 down, 4.3 up data best time: 39 down, 10 up avg: 28 down, 8 up Edited by BigK

http://www.speedtest.net if you want to use one not embedded into a Comcast website...outside source and all.

Here's my results:

speedtest.net = 21.37 down / 11.51 up

speedtest.comcast.net = 56.19 down / 12.01 up (done immediately after the first one)

I think Comcast wants me to believe that I get what I'm paying for.   :squint:  (I pay for 50mbps)

Here's my results:

speedtest.net = 21.37 down / 11.51 up

speedtest.comcast.net = 56.19 down / 12.01 up (done immediately after the first one)

I think Comcast wants me to believe that I get what I'm paying for.   :squint:  (I pay for 50mbps)

That sucks.. we use our own surfboard modem, pay for 25mb get 75mb and it peaks around 100 late at night & during the day when everyone is at work.

All kinds of conflicting info on this.

According to PC Mag, doesn't affect us at all:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461772,00.asp

Some sources say only for the "triple play" customers with the Comcast equipment, etc. Then again, my Xfinity branded Arris with the built in router crapped out, and they didn't have any more so using their Ubee with no built-in router/WIFI.

At any rate I got no notice from Comcast/Infinity myself, would seem all folks affected would? Anyone else cept Dave get actual notification?

I generally get around 35mbps, unchanged today.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Hah, that's quite the pipe you have. 30mb is usually overkill for most folks. Unless you got that free... or need that kind of speed, i'd take a look at my bill.

I’ve had to download stuff from work because it took too long there. They ask me about the speed and I told them it was so fast the numbers didn’t matter anymore.

I don’t need it, but too much speed is like too many guns; no such thing. I just thought I would pass it along.

You can check the level you are paying for on your on-line Comcast account. Mines Extreme 105.

I’ve never had a complaint with Comcast other than what I pay; wish they had some competition.

I don’t need it, but too much speed is like too many guns; no such thing. \

Well, yes and no. Download speed isn't based just on your connection, but also the pipe available from wherever you're downloading. You may find out that you're drastically under utilizing your connection. Think of it has renting a concrete mixing truck to lay down one bag of quickcrete. Sure it'll do the job... but you could probably could have done it for alot cheaper.

What kind of stuff are you downloading? I'm only saying this because you may be able to back off the speed, get the same results and save yourself a good chunk of change per month.

• Like 1

All kinds of conflicting info on this.

According to PC Mag, doesn't affect us at all:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461772,00.asp

Some sources say only for the "triple play" customers with the Comcast equipment, etc. Then again, my Xfinity branded Arris with the built in router crapped out, and they didn't have any more so using their Ubee with no built-in router/WIFI.

At any rate I got no notice from Comcast/Infinity myself, would seem all folks affected would? Anyone else cept Dave get actual notification?

I generally get around 35mbps, unchanged today.

- OS

If it is only about the speed doubling, most of Nashville has already been through that upgrade.  So if Dave had 50mb internet, 100 is the new normal... but most other people have been upgraded for months now.

http://multichannel.com/news/distribution/comcast-boosting-broadband-speeds-some-bundled-customers/260726

...Sure it'll do the job... but you could probably could have done it for alot cheaper.

Here's the deal with Comcast though: you often have to "choose" more than you need for one part of service to get what you want for another.

Example, my TV/net service had topped $200 about 4 months ago, was able to drop it down to $150 by going with the "Triple Play". And btw, this includes same "Extreme 105" internet pipe that Dave has, but I only get 30-40 Mbps. Why? Because the fine print says "connection speeds may vary and are not guaranteed".

So I'm getting same internet speed as before but theoretically could be getting his speed if everything else to me were optimal. Also got VOIP phone, which I didn't care about. Hooked up old phone to it just for the hell of it -- use it to call my cell phone once in a while when I've misplaced it. :)

Also, to thicken the plot and to show how weird the "rules" are, my Infinity branded Arris modem/router/phone box was losing synch frequently. After trouble shooting everything for a couple of weeks, finally just yesterday went in to swap it. Well, none available, guy said a shortage of them all over. So I have a Surfboard modem and Linksys router, but he said I had to have a phone capable unit to maintain the Triple Play price. Wow. So he gave me a new Ubee modem with phone input, but it's not a router. So I hooked it up to my Linksys.

Probs with the Arris seemed to have begun about the time they rolled out the individual xfinitywifi thing, too. Dunno if connected to prob or not, but of course I no longer have that with this Ubee, which btw came with no documentation, and is not even Xfinity branded. There's not even a manual for the thing available online. Had to find a forum to find out username/password just to "hack" inside it and look around.

I may still have some problem or other though, my TV OnDemand has gotten odd and the Ubee is not showing same channel connection bonding all the time, seems upstream power level may be too high, so have a feeling this saga is "to be continued".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Here's the deal with Comcast though: you often have to "choose" more than you need for one part of service to get what you want for another.

Example, my TV/net service had topped $200 about 4 months ago, was able to drop it down to $150 by going with the "Triple Play". And btw, this includes same "Extreme 105" internet pipe that Dave has, but I only get 30-40 Mbps. Why? Because the fine print says "connection speeds may vary and are not guaranteed".

So I'm getting same internet speed as before but theoretically could be getting his speed if everything else to me were optimal. Also got VOIP phone, which I didn't care about. Hooked up old phone to it just for the hell of it -- use it to call my cell phone once in a while when I've misplaced it. :)

Also, to thicken the plot and to show how weird the "rules" are, my Infinity branded Arris modem/router/phone box was losing synch frequently. After trouble shooting everything for a couple of weeks, finally just yesterday went in to swap it. Well, none available, guy said a shortage of them all over. So I have a Surfboard modem and Linksys router, but he said I had to have a phone capable unit to maintain the Triple Play price. Wow. So he gave me a new Ubee modem with phone input, but it's not a router. So I hooked it up to my Linksys.

Probs with the Arris seemed to have begun about the time they rolled out the individual xfinitywifi thing, too. Dunno if connected to prob or not, but of course I no longer have that with this Ubee, which btw came with no documentation, and is not even Xfinity branded. There's not even a manual for the thing available online. Had to find a forum to find out username/password just to "hack" inside it and look around.

I may still have some problem or other though, my TV OnDemand has gotten odd and the Ubee is not showing same channel connection bonding all the time, seems upstream power level may be too high, so have a feeling this saga is "to be continued".

- OS

Paying for Comcast is like buying airline tickets. You'll always find out the guy in the next seat paid half the cost for whatever reason or another.

That's why i never talk to the first person i get, I immediately escalate. I lead off with being pissed off, because i know i will be. :)

• Like 1

Thing is with Comcast, speeds vary by package.  I have the basic package and "blast" internet.  When I added the sports package, my speeds dropped to 6-10mbps.  i was told the only way to get sports AND high speed internet was to get the triple play package.  I dropped the sports pack.  Don't need it that bad.

FWIW, I just did a speed test on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (4G LTE) 34.6 down / 6.4 up .... almost as good as Comcast!  :stir:

Thing is with Comcast, speeds vary by package.  I have the basic package and "blast" internet.  When I added the sports package, my speeds dropped to 6-10mbps.  i was told the only way to get sports AND high speed internet was to get the triple play package.  I dropped the sports pack.  Don't need it that bad.

Yeah, I have the "Sports Entertainment Package" and don't even really know what it entails, wish I could give it to you. :)

If only we could "menu" shop. Having the movie channels is my priority and predicates what package I can "choose". 'Course, if they allowed "menu" subscribing, I'm sure they'd rig it to where you wouldn't save a dime.

Cable companies are as much committed to the minutiae of spread sheet decision making as Walmart.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot