Rock Island 1911's

tercel89

I just bought a RIA 9mm Tac from Buds about 6 weeks ago. I had a bunch of issues in the first 300 rounds with extraction. This was my first 1911. Rather than calling Armscor I bought another extractor and after comparing it to the one in the gun I could see an issue with the stock extractor. All I did was put in the new one, tune it and shoot it. I now have 600 flawless rounds down range. Not one issue. I also did a little clean up on the trigger loop and in the grove that it rides in and can tell the difference. The trigger was very nice out of the box but I just couldn't leave it alone. This is one accurate pistol. I got the tactical version to get the better sights and a made a set of grips for it. I would recommend a RIA to a friend. And since I like to tinker with it I am not in danger a messing up a $1000 gun.

• Like 1

I just bought a RIA 9mm Tac from Buds about 6 weeks ago. I had a bunch of issues in the first 300 rounds with extraction. This was my first 1911. Rather than calling Armscor I bought another extractor and after comparing it to the one in the gun I could see an issue with the stock extractor. All I did was put in the new one, tune it and shoot it. I now have 600 flawless rounds down range. Not one issue. I also did a little clean up on the trigger loop and in the grove that it rides in and can tell the difference. The trigger was very nice out of the box but I just couldn't leave it alone. This is one accurate pistol. I got the tactical version to get the better sights and a made a set of grips for it. I would recommend a RIA to a friend. And since I like to tinker with it I am not in danger a messing up a $1000 gun.

Sounds nice. Now what's that rule about pics..... ? :)

Personally, I'm a Colt man. Now that I've said let me also mention I have a full sized RIA 1911 that I really enjoy shooting.

I use it for Cowboy action shooting at it operates flawlessly. Would I recommend one to a friend? Yep!  Would I get another 

one? Yep!

I even went so far as to drop some nice snakes on it. 

Sorry for the lousy pics...

G-n-T...thanks for the info on the grips!

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/RIA1_zpsc17f096d.jpg.html]RIA1_zpsc17f096d.jpg[/URL][url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/RIA2_zpscdafe5ed.jpg.html]RIA2_zpscdafe5ed.jpg[/URL[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/ri2_zps160beed8.jpg.html][/URL]]

Here's a before pic

[URL=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/ri2_zps160beed8.jpg.html]ri2_zps160beed8.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 2

All I have shot as far as 1911's are concerned are Springfields and one Colt.  How reliable are the Rock Island's in full size ? Any problems , rust , jams ? 

I see people with them quite a bit and they are a lot cheper than the other 1911's too. I'm sure they are cast rather than machine/forged . Any information is appreciated.

you get what you pay for.. 

you get what you pay for.. 

Exactly...and you sure get a lot of gun from an RIA for little money!  Well said!  :D

Also, the Norinco is gunsmiths dream you get one for a $100 or 2 and get to hack on it any which way you want

and learn about gunsmithing. They make a great learning platform.

You can then work on your RIA to make it anything you want. Although I just kinda shoot em.

Anyone can read a lot about 1911's from the "Pros" but I always take that with a grain of salt. Most of those so called

experts talk about all the 100's of thousands of rounds you can put through one type or other and how much parts replacement

and tuning will be needed and how crappy one brand is over another. No offense to those so called pros...wait is saying that

an offense?  :) oh well....

IMHO the average US shooter is not going to run a 100K rounds through his pistol unless he shoots competition and then those guys 

are gonna listen to the other shooters to help them decide what works or what's cool. For such high rounds guns it's amazing just how

many malfunctions they seem to have on the range.

Let's say the average shooter shoots 100 rounds a month. After all life does take up a lot of time and most of us can't get to the range

every week plus prices have gone up unless your a reloader. So the average joe take a couple of boxes to range and goes bang. He checks

out different brands and finds one that works absolutely flawlessly every single time he/she goes out. He has a dependable pistol that works

every time. And.....1200 rounds a year X 10 years = 12k rounds and that's if he keeps up with every single week and that may or may not happen.

To get to 100k rounds out it would take him 80 years and change. The only gun that has gone that far and is still dependable is the Colt.

That being the case the jury is still out on other semi's so why worry about who has the better mousetrap?

Find something that works, you can afford and like and go have fun!

I carry a Colt Officers because I always have. I have some Colt's and an RIA and I'm looking at a 1911 Norinco in 9mm today for around $150 to get and have

fun working on since I like messing with 1911's but will not mess with my "good" guns that already run fine.

Ok boys n girls can we say Carry?[URL=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/c3_zps523ee7d6.jpg.html]c3_zps523ee7d6.jpg[/URL]

:D

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the good information guys/gals. I think I'll save up instead of trading for one. I'll just buy one new so I can have it from the start and go from there. By the way here is my trusty 14 year old Springfield Mil-Spec that has been carried and has never given me any trouble. I removed the ILS key lock and put in a  regular main spring housing. It's a definitley a carry gun and not a show gun but i really like it.

[URL=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/sa1_zpsc6e7ec71.jpg.html]sa1_zpsc6e7ec71.jpg[/URL]

• Like 2
Guest TheSilverFox
I bought a citadel 3.5 a couple years ago. It went bang on first trigger pull but then the trigger wouldn't pull about every other time. It did this for the first 10 rounds or so. It felt like there was a burr that was stoopping it. I was at the range where I had just bought it with the owner. I took it apart and looked at it but didn't see anything easily noticeable. When I put it back together the trigger hung again but I felt a snap and the trigger fell. He took it apart and checked and cleaned polished the interior. After that it worked every time. He offered me my money back or another weapon. I kept the Citadel. I put a couple hundred flawless rounds downrange and then traded it off. It was very accurate for the size but I grew up shooting 1911 models so I'd say I'm better than most on accuracy.

I love the looks and I love shooting them but I can't bring myself to carry them any longer. Just better options out there in my opinion. I carried a Kimber ultra carry or a pro carry for years. There's nothing like the feel of a 1911 for me... even the cheap ones in most cases.
Guest glock2723@gmail.com
Rock island 45 best I ever shot My tactical is a nail driver. I have owned Colts. Kimbers Para etc and have shot all in competition. I will buy a RIA again Edited by glock2723@gmail.com