7.62x25

A.J. Holst

Some assembly required...

Lol. Occasionally.

Sometimes the companies will do runs of some of those.  Radom makes the PPs 43 "pistol" that's 7.62x25 I'm pretty sure.  There might be a new version of one of the ones I listed coming onto the market soon, about all I can say.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

The PPS43 pistol is easily turned into a folding stock Short-Barreled Rifle with a mere filling out of an ATF Form 1, $200 one-time tax, some spare parts, and a little Dremel work.  Guaranteed to get attention at the range.  From a 10" PPS-43 barrel, surplus ammo will turn in almost 2000fps.  The S&B or PPU ammo currently available is a bit lighter load.  You will be lucky to get 1800fps from the PPS-43C.

Some folks have made AR-15s that will shoot the 7.62x25mm.  That sounds like an interesting project.  When the surplus ammo was really cheap and plentiful, I almost went that route.  Now, with the surplus pretty much gone, it would be an expensive toy.  The 7.62x25 doesn't really gain much going from a 10" to 16" barrel.    If you handload, you could probably make it really scream.

For a while, InterOrdnance sold some of the PPSh-41 semi-autos with a 16" barrel called the SR-41.  I imagine that there are some out there for sale.  If you found one at a reasonable price, it would be a fun shooter.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
Bringing this one back alive since I got the pistol.
I can somewhat justify a potential purchase, it's not like I'm adding another caliber, right?
Internet research reveals a ppsh43c pistol, about $400 with positive reviews.

1gewehr is correct, further internet confirms the 10" barrel is optimal for factory loaded ammo and worth the $200 to make it a great shooter.
I think this caliber would be a HUGE hit if it was chambered in a modern gun design. FMJ will defeat soft armed as well as helmets. Less recoil than most other pistol calibers. And with a bonded HP it would provide plenty of expansion. A SWC with a large meplat would also be very effective.

Then I would like to see a purpose built locked breech SMG/PDW chambered in it as well. With a 16" barrel this little roils gets close to 1,800 fps if my memory is correct.

I think this caliber would be a HUGE hit if it was chambered in a modern gun design. FMJ will defeat soft armed as well as helmets. Less recoil than most other pistol calibers. And with a bonded HP it would provide plenty of expansion. A SWC with a large meplat would also be very effective.

Then I would like to see a purpose built locked breech SMG/PDW chambered in it as well. With a 16" barrel this little roils gets close to 1,800 fps if my memory is correct.

I think you might be light, claims are 1400-1500 from a 4" and 1800+ from a 10". With the right powder in the right gun, my guess is 2000+

Aside from a PDW and plinker, I guess I could use it for small nuisance varmint control?

I was talking surplus ammunition. I have loaded them to a much higher velocity. I have also loaded them to a much slower velocity. My first bolt gun chambered in the caliber had a 24" barrel. I was able to load 200 grain bullets using super fast powders and the result was a gun that had 45 ACP energy levels with a sound level comparable to a 22lr without the use of a silencer. With a silencer I am sure that thing would be as close to "Hollywood quiet" as anything else.

I had a 110 grain load using the Sierra 30 caliber "varmint" bullets loaded to 1,750 fps. I also knew people who were loading them to 5.7x28 velocities using a .224" bullet loaded into a sabot. Back when the caliber was being imported a costs less than 22lr there was a lot of people working on special projects using the caliber. Since the surplus has dried up so has the enthusiasm for the caliber.

And in case anyone is unfamiliar with loading the 7.62x25 it uses .308" bullets and not .311" like most comblock 30 caliber weapons.

• Like 1