Cheap AR magazines

AFAIK, any C-product stuff is still as good as ever. They're just one of the many sources that have or have had GI contracts to make them in the past.

Seriously?  I did not know that C-Products was a gov contractor.

I've only used their 6.5 Grendel mags.  In the early days, their 20-round mags had issues (IIRC) and the 30-rounders worked fine.  

Wait a sec...  I've also used their 7.62x39 mags for case-forming.  They worked fine as well.  

Seriously?  I did not know that C-Products was a gov contractor.

I could be wrong. Think I've seen them mentioned on forums as having done it in past, but can't verify and their website doesn't say so -- might also have them mixed up with Center Industries.

Good mags regardless, certainly "USGI spec" or better.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

DSA is selling MAGPUL 2G in Foliage Green for $8.08 each. 

https://dsgarms.com/mag571-fol

Or go with a ten-pack of 2Gs in Black for $79.95.

https://dsgarms.com/dsg-arms-magazine-pack-10-magpul-non-window-mags-w-dsg-patch

I highly recommend that everybody stock up now before the November Mid-Term elections.  No matter how that voting turns out...., the mask will be removed and I predict that Barry Hussein will go full leftist radical - - - he will come after all of us!

So buy it Cheap & Stack it Deep!

• Like 4

I received a couple of D&H mags in the mail yesterday...alas, I had just returned from our range session. :down:

The mags look great, solid seams, green followers etc. But I'll have to wait until next week to give them a workout.

PSA currently has them for $6.99 each.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/dh-5-56-30rd-aluminum-mag.html

Do any of you have personal experience with these?

I'll post back my observations after next weeks range sessions.

As a sidebar, I am very concerned about the upcoming elections and potential for even further degradation of our Constitutionally Protected...well, use to be protected, Rights...

So I plan to "get 'em while I can"...

I'm comfortable with the amount of Magpuls I have and I'm just exploring options...

The only issue with the cheap mags is that they don't have the anti-tilt followers. I've had issues before because of that.

Finding Pmags for $8 is hard to beat. I would encourage everyone to stock up on those. I counted the other day and I have over 30 AR mags. I'd like to hit 50.

Good points on the Magpuls Erik and I've already "hit my goal" on those...but I am not convinced that the feedlips of the Magpuls will match the long tern storage as has been proven with metal and aluminum mags...Magpuls simply haven't existed long enough to have a great degree of certainty, even with the lip-caps or whatever they are called.

D&H from PSA...

"This is the product description from my above link:

Brand new mil-spec M16/AR15 30rd aluminum mags with black teflon finish and foliage green Magpul followers. Made by D&H (Company formerly named Labelle) for Palmetto State Armory. These are the best of the breed because they have a slick durable Teflon coat inside and out. Stamped with US military cage code Q4TQ4"

Are these followers different from what you are referring to? Thanks in advance.

Edited by prag

I need to buy a couple hundred Pmags for the next time everyone loses their mind.  I didn't sell any mags in the last craze because I didn't want to be that guy, but if people don't prepare for what's coming up they deserve to get raped on price.

• Like 2

I need to buy a couple hundred Pmags for the next time everyone loses their mind.  I didn't sell any mags in the last craze because I didn't want to be that guy, but if people don't prepare for what's coming up they deserve to get raped on price.

This is the time to make that purchase TMF. No one can fault you for investing in a future resource potential.

I just want to make sure I have enough for me, my son, and his children. If I sell a few down the road to pay my bills, that'd be between me and the buyer.

I think regular, serious shooters will take advantage of the supply and pricing currently available. I hope so.

Buy it Cheap and Stack it Deep...or don't fuss later... :2cents:

• Like 1

A couple of my shooting buddies and I made it to the range today and tried out a couple of D&H mags and a C-Products mag I found when I inventoried my AR mags.

The D&H came from 44mag.com and had green followers, but they were not the anti-tilt green followers in the D&H mags currently for sale at PSA.

The C-Products has an orange anti-tilt Magpul follower.

No scientific test or anything like that. We ran a couple of hundred rounds through 3 different AR and experienced no issues whatsoever.

I can't find fault in either of these mags thus far.

We have some of the PSA D&H with the Magpul followers coming...so we'll give them a try as well...and keep function firing the above. I'll post if we have problems, but I honestly don't anticipate any...

If they have the anti-tilt follower you should be fine. Even if they don't then you may not have any issues. I just think Magpul is the way to go because they can be found for $8-9 right now. Hell, I just posted a link that had Pmags for $6.70. That's insane. If PMags were twice the cost then I would stick with the steel/aluminum mags but they aren't. 

I saw a torture test done by a few military members a while back that was pretty neat. They tested everything from the metal mags, to Lancers, to Magpul. They dropped them in mud and ran over them with Humvees. 

The winner was the generation 2 Pmag. I will try to find the link but I believe some of the metal mags got bent.

Here is the Link. Definitely worth the read.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/612074_Our_Military_Magazine_Torture_Test.html

First soldier's rating after the tests were completed. 
1) Magpul Gen2 
2) Lancer 
3) Magpul Gen3 
4) Brownells USGI with Tan follower 
5) Troy 
6) ELander 

Second Soldier's Rating: 
1) Magpul Gen2 
2) Magpul Gen3 
3) Lancer 
4) Brownells USGI with Tan follower 
5) ELander 
6) Troy 

Third Soldier's Rating: 
1) Magpul Gen2 
2) Lancer 
3) Brownells USGI with Tan follower 
4) Magpul Gen3 
5) Troy 
6) ELander 

Final Evaluation: 

The Magpul Gen2 Magazine was the unanimous winner after all the tests were said and done. 
Collectivly the final determination was decided by these factors: 

The Magpul Gen2 had the strenth, it felt solid, it past the muddy water test with no 
need for another rinse to function, it had smooth magwell operation for seating loaded 
and unloaded, and it was easy to take apart and clean. There was no major issues concerning 
the Magpul Gen2's fuction and reliability throughout the tests. 
The only issue brought up by the soldier's was better drainage for water. 

ELander: 
All Soldier's were suprised by the ELander during the tests. At the beginning of the test all 
Soldier's were impressed by the overall quality of the ELander magazine. The strength of the 
ELander turned out to be its downfall on the final test. Once dented by the M1025 there was no 
saving the ELander. Prior to the final test the ELander was a top contender. The concern with 
the ELander is the weight. Carrying (7) Seven fully loaded ELander magazines would start to 
wear on any soldier after a while in full gear on multiple missions a day. 

Lancer AWM: 
All Solider's like the design and function of the Lancer AWM. We were a little turned off by the 
quick damage, (bent and cracked the plastic infront of the metal feed lips) After the empty 
drop test. But the crack didnt hinder the function of the magazine one bit. It held throughout 
the tests and didnt crack anymore or break off. The Soldier's would like to see the metal wrapped 
completely around the top of the magazine instead of stopping 3/4 of the way. This magazine was 
also a top contender and probably would of edged out the Magpul Gen2 but the damage to the lip 
kept it from doing so. 

Brownells USGI w/ Tan Follwer: 
You cant go wrong with the USGI magazines. They have withstood the test of time and multiple wars. 
These magazines are simply awesome for what they are, a simple, cheap and affordable tough magazine. 
All Soldier's agreed that these magazines need grip like the Lancer and Pmags. 
Once wet these magazines get slick. Overall, these magazines are very good, 

The Magpul Gen3: 
This magazine had some trouble during the muddy water test where its older brother the Gen2 passed 
with flying colors. The Gen3 had to be washed out multiple times so we could continue the testing. 
All Soldier's liked the improved grip and texture. They liked the beefiness and toughness of 
the Gen3, all Soldier's would of liked the Gen3 to stick with the longer follower the Gen2 had. 

Troy Battlemag: 
All Soldier's were pretty disappointed in this magazine. All agreed it felt cheap, like they were 
going to break it. They didnt like the fact that to quickly take apart the magazine a tool was available 
to buy extra. All other magazines disassembled quickly and easily. On the other hand we were all suprised that the Troy 
Battlemag recieved quite a large crack in the side of the magazine during the crush test and fired 
flawlessly afterwords. 

Hope you all enjoyed the tests. 
Edited by Erik88

Interesting info Erik. Thank you.

I do like my P Mags as well...and my Brownell's, esp the 20 rounders.

You mentioned a link for PMags at $6.70 each. I must have missed it, my bad.  Where did you post it? I've looked, but I reckon my Google-fu is weak. :squint:  LOL

Edited by prag

I had another person message me for that link so I'll go ahead and post it. I know they have a bad reputation but this is a really good price. 

For what it's worth, a coworker ordered the deal below and had an issue processing it via paypal(the won't allow the sale of mags over 10 rounds). He said Botach called them and was very helpful and got it resolved quickly. 

http://www.botach.com/magpul-pmag-moe-gen-2-5-56mm-30rd-magazines-13-pack/

• Like 1
Oh Shoot turned me onto these mags a couple of years ago. He was kind enough to sell me a couple at a reasonable price and I went and bought 6 more from SportsmansGuide.com for about $27.

I used them for well over a year without any issues of any kind until I gathered up enough self-respect and dignity to buy 10 Magpul Gen2s. Now that all I carry to the range...can't risk somebody I know seeing me using Thermolds. I have reliable intel that says they're made out of melted Pringles lids. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

Oh Shoot turned me onto these mags a couple of years ago. He was kind enough to sell me a couple at a reasonable price and I went and bought 6 more from SportsmansGuide.com for about $27.

I used them for well over a year without any issues of any kind until I gathered up enough self-respect and dignity to buy 10 Magpul Gen2s. Now that all I carry to the range...[b][i]can't risk somebody I know seeing me using Thermolds. I have reliable intel that says they're made out of melted Pringles lids.[/i][/b]

LOL Thremolds and Botach do have bad reps, but I honestly haven't had issues with either one.

Like I mentioned earlier, my Thermolds are the N.C. version and run well in semi-auto.

I've only ordered through Botach 4 or 5 times and was able to get some great deals. It seems like I recall that they had some sort of family issues and bad business deals several years ago...the internet never forgets...even if it can't remember what it can't forget... :squint:

Thanks for the link Erik and the info. That is a great deal. :up:

If they have the anti-tilt follower you should be fine. Even if they don't then you may not have any issues. I just think Magpul is the way to go because they can be found for $8-9 right now. Hell, I just posted a link that had Pmags for $6.70. That's insane. If PMags were twice the cost then I would stick with the steel/aluminum mags but they aren't. 

Where you seeing these for $6.70?  I've looked everywhere.  Cheapest I've seen them is 13 mags for $100, which is about $7.60.

This is the time to make that purchase TMF. No one can fault you for investing in a future resource potential.

I just want to make sure I have enough for me, my son, and his children. If I sell a few down the road to pay my bills, that'd be between me and the buyer.

I think regular, serious shooters will take advantage of the supply and pricing currently available. I hope so.

Buy it Cheap and Stack it Deep...or don't fuss later... :2cents:

Yeah, I just bit the bullet.  These can't get any lower in price no matter how much the market gets flooded.  I just got a deal negotiated with Botach for a slightly better price.  Even if the Dems don't go full guntard (which they will), I can still sell these any time and get back what I have in them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...