Budget but Quality 9mm?

Capsaicin

These Smiths intrigue me.  I've done some reading about them and have read a lot about spongy or otherwise lack-luster triggers.  Is that true?

I did also see that KelTec offers the Sub2000 that takes S&W magazines which would make a nice pairing.  Did anyone ever offer a "larger than 15 rounds" capacity and reliable magazine for them?

I still haven't had time to hit any of the stores to get my paws on more stuff (in-laws were in town... ugh).

the triggers are what they are --- which are "duty" quality triggers.   They may have a little take-up in the DA pull (most often, from use/wear).  Usually, if not worn heavily, the SA pull is very good. Most of the negative comments are snobbery above actual issues -- I have had 6 or more 60's and 70s era smiths and none had a trigger I would call "bad" or "mushy".  Some were extra stout DA, and again, one or two had a little pretravel, but all in all about what you expect from a duty gun from the era. 

the KT using oddball mags is still hit or miss, last I heard.  Check the KTOG for an update on what you can get.   

Edited by Jonnin

The 59-series Smith magazine is actually the original mag for the little Kel-Tec rifle (the P-11 pistol uses a cut-down version of it as well).  I converted mine to take Beretta mags (I have a bunch of them), but in it's original S&W magazine configuration it ran great with Smith and Mec-Gar mags. 

Sig Sauer SP2022.

It's polymer but heavy and da/sa.  I would probably own one if I wanted that type of action.

Just bought one from a member.  I have yet to shoot it, but being a Sig, I know what to expect.  It's a quality gun.

$300 for a Sig 9mm that's 15+1.  Lots of Euro police/govt agencies use them as their standard issue sidearm.

I don't think you can even get a used Glock 17 or 19 for that price.  Even a heavily used piece.

9DYwB0d.jpg

Edited by shaftbass

King's Firearms in Columbia (disclaimer:  never been there) has quite a few of the Smith 3rd gen guns listed on Gunbroker, so they presumably have some you could go check out.

The triggers are actually quite good.  Some people can't "get" the DA/SA thing, but the S&W is probably one of the best of the breed.  Very smooth and not too heavy in double action, crisp and pretty light (albeit with a bit of takeup) in single action.

Mec-Gar (who makes OEM magazines for about half the gun industry) offer 17-round flush fit and 20-round extended mags for these guns.  I've tried both and they work very well.

They are not very far from me.  I should stop by!  Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...