Portable Barn / Garage (storage bldg) - Suggestion?

R_Bert

I am looking at portable garages  - Sort of like this one -  ( example is a Timberline Barn) in 12'x16' to 12'x24'

Any suggestions for best mfg or dealer ?  Need around Knoxville / Oak Ridge area.

Thanks, B.

[URL=http://s585.photobucket.com/user/HR_TR_2009/media/Shed_zps2d14f8d7.jpg.html]Shed_zps2d14f8d7.jpg[/URL]

Make sure you get one with real floors, not osb, it warps over time.

Mine has plywood and it still warps a bit.  The shed itself is in good condition but needs to be re-leveled.  I won't recommend the guys I got mine from, if they're even still in business,  they didnt put the door on the side where I wanted it. They sent a guy to move it and he did a real bad job of it.  Now I need to replace it again, but I doubt I can find the business now.

Mine has plywood and it still warps a bit.  The shed itself is in good condition but needs to be re-leveled.  I won't recommend the guys I got mine from, if they're even still in business,  they didnt put the door on the side where I wanted it. They sent a guy to move it and he did a real bad job of it.  Now I need to replace it again, but I doubt I can find the business now.

Ouch.

Fortunately, I do have a hefty concrete pad that is level.
  • Like 1

I need a shed or container too.  I really like the container idea but I don't know how to get it where I want it.  Probably the same problem I'd have getting a pre-built shed in place.  There are ads on CL for sheds built on site as well as those built off site.  There are also ads for shipping containers.  My problem is that I have little confidence in anyone I hire for anything any more.

Ouch.

Fortunately, I do have a hefty concrete pad that is level.

That will greatly improve the situation, it will keep the shed level at least. I also recommend using this: http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterproofing-products/waterproofing-stains/advanced-tinted-wood-protector within the first year or two. I tried other products including other Thomson's water seal products, and this so far has been the best performing. Its expensive, relative to others, but its well worth it, its been about 5 years and still looks fresh.
  • Like 1

I don't think I'd do it now, but my father-in-law and I built one on our old home property several years ago.

A 12x16. Did 6x6 corner supports sunk in concrete, and leveled the cuts to have it 6 inches above ground at the lowest point. Then placed 4x4s in the appropriate positions for added support for the flooring. Yes, overkill, but I knew it was going to be heavily loaded.

Anyway, used 3/4 decking for the floors, 16'' centered stud wall, peaked roof so we could put an upper "floor" around the sides for additional storage.

When we completed the exterior, I went in and built shelving and tables to suit me.  

The idea was that we could build a better shed cheaper than we could buy one.

Let me tell you that was wrong. Totally and completely.

Yes, we built a better and stronger one. Laid out exactly like I wanted.

But cheaper??? No.

Could have bought and had placed the same size for then about 2600.

We spent closer to 3200 on it.

I don't regret it. I learned a little from him, and got to spend a lot of time bonding, which helped our relationship immensely over the  years.

But back on point here, check for the Amish/Mennonite builders. They usually will have a better product at a competitive price.

Edited by hipower

I don't think I'd do it now, but my father-in-law and I built one on our old home property several years ago.

A 12x16. Did 6x6 corner supports sunk in concrete, and leveled the cuts to have it 6 inches above ground at the lowest point. Then placed 4x4s in the appropriate positions for added support for the flooring. Yes, overkill, but I knew it was going to be heavily loaded.

Anyway, used 3/4 decking for the floors, 16'' centered stud wall, peaked roof so we could put an upper "floor" around the sides for additional storage.

When we completed the exterior, I went in and built shelving and tables to suit me.  

The idea was that we could build a better shed cheaper than we could buy one.

Let me tell you that was wrong. Totally and completely.

Yes, we built a better and stronger one. Laid out exactly like I wanted.

But cheaper??? No.

Could have bought and had placed the same size for then about 2600.

We spent closer to 3200 on it.

I don't regret it. I learned a little from him, and got to spend a lot of time bonding, which helped our relationship immensely over the  years.

But back on point here, check for the Amish/Mennonite builders. They usually will have a better product at a competitive price.

tips on identifying the Amish & Mennonite vendors is welcome.

tips on identifying the Amish & Mennonite vendors is welcome.

The vendor will tell you if they are Amish built but I've come to question that line over the years. They claim the same thing with campers when it's obvious that power tools were used Mine was alledgedly built by the Amish, and I've had it for a good 7 years now. I threw some deck stain on it to match the house when I first got it, and I haven't needed any other coats since then...yet. I recently had to put new shingles on it to match the new roof that I had to put on the house due to storm damage.

The vendor will tell you if they are Amish built but I've come to question that line over the years. They claim the same thing with campers when it's obvious that power tools were used Mine was alledgedly built by the Amish, and I've had it for a good 7 years now. I threw some deck stain on it to match the house when I first got it, and I haven't needed any other coats since then...yet. I recently had to put new shingles on it to match the new roof that I had to put on the house due to storm damage.

That was my thought as well. Apparently many vendors say they sell only Amish/Mennonite built products. I suppose, short of going directly to one their communities and check it out; that you would be required to take the word of the seller.

I got a container from these guys: https://www.mobilemini.com

All I had to provide was a level gravel pad... they delivered and placed it. 

Had it for two years now... zero leaks, works great. I use it as storage and a garage for my atv.

Mobile mini put additional security on it that means unless you've got a cutting torch, you aint getting in.

Very happy with it so far. 

• Like 2

Had it for two years now... zero leaks, works great. I use it as storage and a garage for my atv.
Mobile mini put additional security on it that means unless you've got a cutting torch, you aint getting in.

I considered one of those for out on my hunting area but so far their too expensive for what I need one for.

Yeah, it was a little pricey, but I needed the security in a remote area... I think the cost for a full sized container delivered and placed was close to 5k. It hurt to write the check, but I've been glad I did it. 

I've got a friend that built this for me.  He and his nephew build it in a few weeks and the quality is fantastic.

We went from 2 Conex containers to this barn and it'll be a tax write-off and we won't be throwing money down a hole in rent or a building that will rot away in a few years.

24x30 Hardie board with Galvalume roof.

2cy64ua.jpg

He's west of Nashville.

Edited by TerryW

Yeah, it was a little pricey, but I needed the security in a remote area... I think the cost for a full sized container delivered and placed was close to 5k. It hurt to write the check, but I've been glad I did it.

Yea, I seen the same priced containers and like the idea of them, but the lock is the weak point; Since I am not around they would have plenty of time to cut, grind or even shoot it off. Maybe one of those dug into the side of the hill to hide it from prying eyes, but that would just increase the price.

I've got a friend that built this for me.  He and his nephew build it in a few weeks and the quality is fantastic.

We went from 2 Conex containers to this barn and it'll be a tax write-off and we won't be throwing money down a hole in rent or a building that will rot away in a few years.

24x30 Hardie board with Galvalume roof.

2cy64ua.jpg

He's west of Nashville.

I wish I had one of those, it would make a heck of a man cave!

Yeah, I had the same concern, but they've added some interior steel bars that lock w/ a barrel lock.

Easiest way in would be an oxy acetylene torch straight through the side. 

Heck, if they are going to that much effort, there's not a lot I can do to stop them.

Very common for the Amish to use power tools, especially on items built for commercial sale.

just saw the cost, was thinking of the 10 or 15 footer

Edited by Dustbuster