IWB for big guys?

Guest boutwell

Guest boutwell

Any of you larger guys carry IWB? If so, what position? Any holster recommendations? I have seen a lot of posts saying that it's too uncomfortable for a big guy to carry that way. I am 6'3" ~300 lbs.

Dumb question #1 (I am sure there will be more): Do you buy larger pants/jeans to accommodate the firearm or should correctly fitting clothes fit as-is?

I was looking at carrying a full size M&P9 but am thinking of maybe going with a Shield9 after doing some reading about how tough it is to carry a full size IWB. I hate to lose the full grip as I have pretty big hands. Maybe a Shield with an extended mag and finger extension, if there is such a thing? That sure cuts down on mag capacity too.

Anyway, I am still new at all of this and thought I would get some advice from people who know.

Thanks in advance.

All depends on your style of dress. Over all, I would say that it isn't that much harder to carry a full-size iwb, but it might be harder to conceal it, depending on what you wear and how concerned you might be about printing. If I were looking at the m&p line, I might start with the 9c... I'm only 5'11" 160lbs, but if I can wear a full size under a jacket or sweater, you definitely should be able to. Edited by JReedEsq

I'm  6 feet even and 170,  Carrying a full-size pistol is easy.  In fact, have you ever considered OWB rather than IWB? 

I've carried OWB using a Raven Concealment System's Phantom since 2008.  It conceals well with just a t-shirt, and flat out disappears with a button-down or a polo-style shirt.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/smith-wesson-phantom-modular-holster/

• Like 1
Yes, it's generally necessary to increase the waist size in your pants by about 2" to accommodate IWB carry, it depends on how tight your pants and belt normally are. A good gun belt is highly recommended because it will be stiff enough to support the gun without being uncomfortably tight.

Although I'm not a guy, I feel that I am qualified to address this post. I'm 5'10" and 245 lbs and I've carried iwb for many years. One of the biggest problems when larger people try to carry iwb is the fact that our waistline is not flat like you lucky skinny folks out there. We are curvy and that can pose problems that skinny people don't even think about. When a larger person tries to wear a high riding holster (iwb or owb), it results in the butt of the gun sticking out from the body at the top (rather than laying flat against the body as it would on a normal sized person)......making it print really bad.  For bigger people, the trick to carrying iwb (or owb and concealed) is getting a holster that rides lower on the waist. When the holster is lower, the butt of the gun stays closer and tighter to the belt, making it hardly print at all under a loose shirt.

I've tried a LOT of holsters over the years, and there are only a few that I've found that really work for me:

-Crossbreed Supertuck (pros: very comfortable and lightweight, super adjustable allowing it to go very low on the waist......cons: allows perspiration to reach your gun)

-N82 (pros: rides low, very soft and comfy against the skin, completely blocks perspiration from getting to your gun......cons: only a single clip which sometimes allows it to move, especially when active)

-Leather/Kydex double clip holster from www.firearmholster.com (my personal favorite! an awesome holster that takes the best of both the Supertuck and the N82 and combines it into one great rig!)

The only other thing I would add is that no matter which holster you choose, you definitely want to get a good stiff gun belt......one that is actually made specifically for carrying a gun. I never realized how much this would help until I finally got one. I'll never buy another regular belt again!

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 1

I'm a big guy, so I'll jump in. I generally carry a G19 OWB, but use a Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB. I've tried a lot of different IWB holsters, but for me, there is nothing more comfortable and better suited. 

I get my jeans a size larger and make sure my shirts have a long enough tail for cover my weapon. The easiest way to print is to wear a shirt that's too tight. 

• Like 1

PackinMama hit the nail on the head. It's all about body shape. A spare tire that goes around to the sides will push the grip of the gun out making it nearly impossible to conceal unless it rides really low. Luckily, you can set most IWB hybrid holsters to ride just at the waistband, which allows the grip to be below your spare tire. This way it's nearly impossible to tell I'm packing.

Having that figured out, my problem lies elsewhere. I have a pancake flat backside (imagine trying to cinch a pair of pants tight enough halfway up the outside of a funnel). I can tighten a belt til I can't feel my toes, but every 15 steps I'm tugging my pants back up. I'm about to give up and start wearing suspenders.

• Like 1
I keep my Mossberg 930 under my spare tire. No one notices... not even my wife.

Just kidding! But I have an IWB from Leatherneck Tactical that a super awesome buddy gave me, and it sits nice and low. I carry either my FS M&P or Compact M&P and the grip is just under my jelly roll. Completely invisible, except for the clip which shows. I can even tuck in T-Shirts and Polos around it and maintain concealment.
  • Like 1

6'4" and 290 lbs here. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck holster for both my Ed Brown Kobra Karry (1911) and M&P 40 compact. I can carry both comfortably: however, I can also carry my M&P 40C or Shield in a pocket holster stuck into my back pocket. I do this most of the time because it's easy to put on/remove, and I tend to wear untucked shirts that cover the top of my back pockets just fine. I also wear Propper tactical pants/shorts that have an inner back pocket, (pocket in pocket design).

EDIT: Get a good gun belt regardless of the holster choice.

BigK: Suspenders are the shizzle, but kind of require a T-shirt under the covering shirt. That'd drive me nuts in the summer.

Edited by SWJewellTN

I'm 6'5" 220lbs and carry iwb sometimes and sometimes owb in the 4 o'clock position. I have had my carry permit for 12 years but only started carrying iwb a few years ago. I wear Dickies or Carhartt carpenter jeans a lot, they are cut a little bigger any way and I have lost a few lbs so they fit kind of loose but not like gangster baggy or anything. I carry my SP101 iwb in this holster from Simply Rugged; http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Silver-Dollar-Pancake%E2%84%A2-.cfm?item_id=152.

I usually wear a wife beater or regular t shirt tucked in to keep something between me and the holster and then a polo or button up shirt untucked for cover. +1 on a good belt. I have the 1.75" Real Mans Belt; http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Real-Man-s-Belt-single-layer-of-leather.cfm?item_id=171&parent=670. I have no problem concealing it under a thin polo shirt. Dark colors seem to work better for concealment in my opinion.

I bought the belt and holster about 3 years ago and I wear the belt everyday. The quality of the belt and holster are excellent. The holster is comfortable iwb and can also be carried owb. Their pricing is not too bad for custom leather, it seems to even be cheaper or about the same as similar Galco off the shelf products.

I've been checking out these holsters on amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Conceal-Mini--Right-Handed-Horse/dp/B009AKQRF8/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1412799559&sr=1-5&keywords. I have never dealt with them but they have good reviews.

My advice is make sure your pants have some room to move around and use your belt to take up the slack and the t shirt helps out with comfort. I just wear my belt a notch looser when carrying iwb. I find the 4 o'clock position works better for me when sitting at my desk or driving, iwb or owb about the same.

Hope that helps you out.

I keep my Mossberg 930 under my spare tire. No one notices... not even my wife.

Oh, that's nothing, I can conceal a Mosin 91/30 with bayonet extended.

BigK: Suspenders are the shizzle, but kind of require a T-shirt under the covering shirt. That'd drive me nuts in the summer.

amen! I'll just stick to my Kel-Tec in the summer.

Edited by BigK

Forgot to mention position. I like carrying at 1-2 o'clock. That seems to be the most comfortable and it prints less there.

I've got a N82 Tactical but carry at 10-11 o'clock.

I will give an endorsement for quality of design, construction, handgun retention and comfort.

I have worn this holster for two days of training in dead of summer and it never sweated through.

I laid hundreds of yards of carpet tiles helping out my crew, from 7 am to 3 am. Sweating, up and down, hands and knees, humping boxes and buckets of adhesive and my CZ P01 never came loose and holster never really shifted. I carried a CZ75B edc with this holster for years and it's still my go to for my heavier and or larger framed handguns.

I like the single clip, what I don't like is the large sweat shield makes it more difficult to get a nice high and deep grip when drawing.
On buying pants, concur with get a good belt! I have 2 1.5" belts and fit almost all of my business and casual belt loops. I think I read on the internet that the best way to fit for IWB is take your gun. I do and no I'm not scared to be pants down in the dressing room. If I need khaki, I grab my waist size +1 in 2 or 3 different brands. I pull them on and with no belt, slide gun and holster in to see how much clearance plus or minus I need and get properly sized pants.
Guest TheSilverFox
I am 6'4 300 pounds and carry IWB all the time. I carry either a Glock 17 or 19 in a Galco King Tuk. I buy 44 Carhartt pants and shorts... all I ever wear. My waist size is a 42. It could be different for you as I could get away with the 42 and the holster. I just like a looser pant. A good belt is a must. I wear an undershirt 90 percent of the time. I carry with a tshirt most of the time and have never been spotted that I know of. I forget its there for the most part. When this Galco wears out, I'll buy another one. I carry from time my feet hit the floor until my head hits the pillow.

I am 5' 11" and right around 285.  I cannot stand IWB carry.  Period.  Ever.  I can't even stand carrying my NAA mini revolver in an IWB holster.  I heard great things about leather/kydex hybrid IWB holsters so I made one to try them out.  I made it to fit my CZ 82 as it is a fairly compact pistol.  I made it to ride pretty low.  Hated it, too.

Everyone is different but the closest I can come to IWB carry is carrying my Kel Tec P3AT (which is nice and thin/flat) in a 'belly band' that I wear very low, around my hips, so that the grips stick up just above the waist of my pants.  I find that bearable but only use that method when I am dressing up more than usual such as to go to a wedding, etc.  If I want, I can put the band on over a t-shirt then tuck a dress shirt in over the gun.  It is a good way to carry pretty deeply concealed when wearing thin dress slacks that preclude pocket carry.  Otherwise, when I belt carry it is OWB all the way with a tucked in t-shirt under the gun and some type of cover garment over it.

I took these pics a few years (two generations of cell phones back and before I traded the Taurus for a GP100 - heck, for that matter it was before I got divorced and moved) ago to demonstrate on another board just how much a bigger guy can conceal under just a Hawaiian type shirt.  The 4-inch barreled, 6 shot Taurus .357, my keys and the mini-mag flashlight were all hanging from my belt in the pics.   I don't generally carry that much, it was just for demonstration purposes.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image5.jpg

Edited by JAB
I don't understand how any of you carry IWB or OWB at all, regardless of the gun and holster, and still keep it perfectly concealed without ever printing. Down here in the southern states it's nearly always hot and humid, making long heavy shirts very hot and uncomfortable, let alone 2 shirts. And if you just wear 1 very loose t-shirt it will still print very easily when you bend, walk, pick up things, stretch, etc. Even if you find that one magic outfit that will do the trick, you can't wear that to all places like church, office jobs, etc. In my experience nearly everyone carrying IWB or OWB will print at various times throughout the day, they just don't notice it or care. Only time I did any IWB or OWB carry was when it's cold enough to have a jacket or layered clothing, and even then I typically prefer the comforts of a galco shoulder holster.
Guest TheSilverFox

I don't understand how any of you carry IWB or OWB at all, regardless of the gun and holster, and still keep it perfectly concealed without ever printing. Down here in the southern states it's nearly always hot and humid, making long heavy shirts very hot and uncomfortable, let alone 2 shirts. And if you just wear 1 very loose t-shirt it will still print very easily when you bend, walk, pick up things, stretch, etc. Even if you find that one magic outfit that will do the trick, you can't wear that to all places like church, office jobs, etc. In my experience nearly everyone carrying IWB or OWB will print at various times throughout the day, they just don't notice it or care. Only time I did any IWB or OWB carry was when it's cold enough to have a jacket or layered clothing, and even then I typically prefer the comforts of a galco shoulder holster.

All my tshirts are Carhartt or Comfort Colors. They run a little longer than your standard tshirt. I'm sure I've printed before but I also keep my phone on that side so the majority of the people will think its a phone. I've caught my wife looking to make sure I'm carrying some places we have been... she'll ask to make sure since she can't tell for the most part. I grew up in SC... where it's really hot and always wear an undershirt. It actually seems to keep me cooler. I only own a handful of holsters. The Galco is my only IWB. I read a lot of reviews and got lucky I guess because this one seems perfect so far. Of course there are several who make the same holster. I only carry a Glock or a Ruger LCR 38 and that goes in my pocket or ankle. If I'm OWB carrying it's in a Blackhawk CQC retention holster and I'm at home or in the woods.
I am 6'2" 275 and carry OWB with a long shirt. The only time I carry IWB is wearing a suite(once or twice a year) I carry small of back with a reinforced tagua sob holster that I have found very comfortable. I have no a$$ disease so this comes in handy when it comes to the spare tire I carry everywhere else. And that is a xd40 service model. Just be careful if you sit down on a hard surface you get a noticeable clunk.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to second the N82 professional.  I carry a G21 gen4 in jeans and cargo pants/shorts.  Provided you have a decent belt, it's far and away the most comfortable IWB I've ever worn - even with a think, heavy gun.  I now own three of them.  The suede back "grips" the shirt and supports the weight of the gun, keeping it in place.  For me, about a 4 o'clock carry works best.  Your mileage may vary.  

• Like 1
Guest boutwell

You guys have given me a ton of good info. I appreciate it. Hopefully with this I can avoid the "drawer of holsters" I am reading so much about. I have never given a second thought to my belt. I just figured I would use the few that I already rotate for everyday wear. Are these reinforced ones hot/uncomfortable?

You guys have given me a ton of good info. I appreciate it. Hopefully with this I can avoid the "drawer of holsters" I am reading so much about. I have never given a second thought to my belt. I just figured I would use the few that I already rotate for everyday wear. Are these reinforced ones hot/uncomfortable?

Can't speak to the comfort of purpose-built 'gun belts' as I have never owned one.  Instead, I make sure to select good, stiff leather belts that will support a handgun/holster.  The secret is to place the thumb and forefinger or the thumb and first, two fingers on opposite sides of the belt (across the width of the belt) and try to pinch them together.  If the belt folds easily, it will sag when you use it to strap a holster to your side.  If it is thick enough and stiff enough that it doesn't fold or have much 'give' then it should work okay for carry.  You pretty much have to look at work type belts to find one thick/stiff enough and not even all work belts are thick/stiff enough.

I have been wearing a particular type of Dickie's work belt pretty much since I started carrying.  In fact, it is the type of belt that I am wearing in the pics I posted earlier.  After a couple or even a few years of wearing the belt pretty much every day, carrying or not (I can't carry at work but wear the same belt most of the time), the leather will get really 'broken in' which means it starts to get soft and lose some of the stiffness.  The belt usually isn't even 'worn out' by the time that becomes an issue.  When this happens, I go to the Dickie's outlet and buy another one.  They generally cost about $12.  I'll be really annoyed if they ever discontinue this style.  Strangely, Walmart used to stock a Dickie's belt that looked exactly like the one I use but the ones at Wally weren't nearly as rigid - which is why mine come from the Dickie's outlet.

I like fooling with leather work and am planning to eventually make myself a good, stiff belt - possibly even with strips of Kydex sandwiched between two layers of leather for extra support (I believe that is how some carry belts are made,)  Until then, though, the style of Dickie's belt I wear does a pretty good job.

Edited by JAB