Something to consider if you choose to OC

TNWNGR

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

If its your want to Open Carry as TN HCP permits keep in mind the inherent risk. By all means do as you see fit to do and the law allows just don't forget the potential cost of a bit of flash. And if anyone takes this as anything other than a personal safety reminder and takes issue I've no desire to argue the matter.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said.

The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.”

Coleman handed over the gun and the man fled on foot.

Young person, may or may not have much firearms experience, showing off a recently bought gun.  Lesson learned the hard way.  Could have been a lot worse.

The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a possibly semi-automatic, black gun, Gresham Police said.

This part cracked me up.  What else is a handgun going to be, fully automatic, bolt action?

Yep, cause there's nothing more stimulating than going up against your own Glock 23 with a pop gun :)

My first thought upon reading the article was that if I were going to make a habit of open carry then I'd make sure to carry a concealed BUG, as well.

Theoretically, the purpose of the BUG would be to make sure that you didn't end up going up against your own primary and could stop an unexpected attempt at taking the primary from you.  As in, "You like the gun I've got here on my hip?  BANG!  BANG! BANG! Well, what do you think of the one I had in my pocket?"

This part cracked me up.  What else is a handgun going to be, fully automatic, bolt action?

Well, it could have been a stainless steel revolver.  Or a TC Contender in hot pink. :)  Personally, I'm not so sure they should have mentioned that the pistol was black.  Sounds like handgun racial profiling, to me.

The description does kind of reinforce your theory that the robbery victim wasn't very experienced with guns.  I don't think I would necessarily remember the make and model of pistol used by an assailant in such a high stress situation but I hope that I could do better than that.  I can imagine the scene with an officer interviewing the victim and filling out a report, now.

Officer:  "What kind of gun did the assailant have, sir?" 

William Coleman III:  "It's a Walther P-22.  I just bought it today."

Officer:  "No, I meant what kind of gun did he have before he took yours."

William Coleman III:  "Well, it might have been a semiautomatic."

Officer:  "It might have been a semiautomatic?"

William Coleman III:  "Yeah.  I'm not sure."

Officer:  "Think hard.  Did it have a cylinder?"

William Coleman III:  "A what?

Officer:  "Ooookaaay.  Can you give us any further details?"

William Coleman III:  "Sorry, I'm afraid n...oh, wait!  I just remembered - I think it was black.  Does that help?"

Officer:  "Oh, um, yeah.  Sure.  That helps."

I personally believe that open carry should be legal without a permit in all 50 states.  Heck, concealed too, for that matter.  I know some folks make an informed and considered decision to carry openly and that is their choice.  At the same time, a person should probably take some time to build at least a little familiarity with firearms, in general, and handguns, in particular before strapping a gun on one's hip and going out into public.  Of course, having a little situational awareness and being cautious when some stranger walks up and askes for a cigarette in the middle of the night probably wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Of course, the article referred to the stolen gun as a 'Walter-brand P22."  Either they got the "Walther" name wrong or Jeff Dunham is really getting creative in his marketing and licensing ideas.  I can imagine how that would work into his act (I even did a mock-up picture but I won't post it to avoid hi-jacking the thread.)

Edited by JAB

I do know a few guys that will from time to time open carry. They also have a back up CC in case someone would try and take their OC. When they do OC the don't have the tube hot so if the bad guy tried to shoot him with his own gun he would have to take it off safety and then rack in a round and by then they have their CC pointed in the bad guys direction or they have already began popping caps in the bad guys body. I have never approved of that tactic. It always appeared to me like they were baiting some one to try and take their OC weapon just so they could shoot some one. I have told them my thoughts on it and they just smile and walk away............................................jmho

I do know a few guys that will from time to time open carry. They also have a back up CC in case someone would try and take their OC. When they do OC the don't have the tube hot so if the bad guy tried to shoot him with his own gun he would have to take it off safety and then rack in a round and by then they have their CC pointed in the bad guys direction or they have already began popping caps in the bad guys body. I have never approved of that tactic. It always appeared to me like they were baiting some one to try and take their OC weapon just so they could shoot some one. I have told them my thoughts on it and they just smile and walk away............................................jmho

That does seem a little odd.  I mean, one of the major arguments for open carry is that it is faster to get to it if needed.  Carrying with an empty chamber - especially with a safety engaged - pretty well negates that, possible advantage.  As you say, that almost sounds more like the CC gun is really their 'primary' and the OC gun is a decoy (at best) or bait (at worst.)

The important thing to learn here is don't get so caught up in the novelty of being able to legally carry a handgun that you become another victim. Furthermore it would be prudent to avoid other people who might become victims acting in much the manner the young victim in the article did.