Armslist says no to security software? That's not good is it?

Randall53

I've tried to create a sign in to Armslist, but I keep getting the following message. I can't understand why they want to make someone turn off security software or ad blocking software to be part of their site, but I'm not playing that game with them. I really don't know what I have except AVG free, but I guess I don't need Armslist after all.

"Please ensure you do not have security software or ad removal software running while browsing ARMSLIST. Software such as AdBlock may cause certain pages to fail to load correctly. If you are using Internet Explorer 6.0 please upgrade to a newer browser."

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had any problems or messages like that with ArmsList. I have no idea what your problem is.  :shrug:

Same here. I check fairly often there, but seem to always fail at buying or selling on that listing. Just harder to get together with them for some reason.

Well, when I try to contact someone, it's telling me to "type the scrambled words" but there are none. ..

Got Flash enabled for the site? That's how the numbers are generated.

Which browser?

And btw, I use AVG Free, and don't get that warning, but have the Web Browsing module disabled, maybe it's AVG telling you that? Dunno.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You don't have to login or have an account to buy or sell on there. Just browse ads then click Ad that interests you then click contact button on a specific ad if you want to contact the seller of an item. Maybe your security setting is turned up so high that it won't allow the pop-up phrase to come through, but I 'm no computer guy. Good luck!

that's what I thought, but after everything I try I get the error message failure to enter the scrambled word. I'm no computer guy either, so I guess I'll not be using it. On an up note though, there are 2 gunshows here in Chattanooga over the next 2 weekends! LOL

I tried disabling AVG and I don't see a video box. I'm using Explorer 11.  Oh well. I saw a sig mosquito I was gonna offer a trade, but can't get there from here. LOL

Both old IE 8 and latest FireFox works there for me. Possible you don't have compatible Adobe Flash plugin, might need to update it for either one to work. Or you don't have it enabled.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Is it possible a website won't allow a person because of ad blocking software? I could see websites blocking people with that software due to getting paid by advertisors. Don't know but have wondered this since I first heard about ad blockers.

Well, when I try to contact someone, it's telling me to "type the scrambled words" but there are none.  I thought maybe I needed to create a login, but it did the same thing. Oh well. thanks for the help.

I'm not a big computer guy but i'm going to say it's a setting that you have enabled in your browser settings and not related to the AVG or which version of whatever browser you're running. The "ad blocker" it's speaking of most likely blocks whatever generates the word scramble the same as it does blocking the ads. I use chrome and I don't know how your browser is setup but I have a setting that I can enable/disable under my settings that I would assume is the same blocker that is causing your problems.

Is it possible a website won't allow a person because of ad blocking software? I could see websites blocking people with that software due to getting paid by advertisors. Don't know but have wondered this since I first heard about ad blockers.

I have little doubt that this ^ is the main reason for them wanting you to disable the ad blocking function.

I usually use firefox, but it wouldn't do it, then I tried IE and it wouldn't do it, then downloaded Chrome and still no scrambled word box. I removed flash and reinstalled but still won't work. I think my wife has sabatoged my computer... :wall:  

I usually use firefox, but it wouldn't do it, then I tried IE and it wouldn't do it, then downloaded Chrome and still no scrambled word box. I removed flash and reinstalled but still won't work. I think my wife has sabatoged my computer... :wall:

Well that could be her way of controlling the potential gun buying avenues you have available!
With Chrome there will be a drop down menu in the upper right corner of the browser. I think the icon looks like 3 little horizontal lines or a little grid but I'll have to confirm when I get on mine. As a matter of fact, I will get on mind shortly and see if I can figure out exactly what setting you need to change and then report back if someone else hasn't done it first.

Try opening up Chrome and under the Red "X" at the top right there is an icon with 3 horizontal lines. Click that and then go down and click "settings". go down to "privacy" and right under that there is an option to click on content settings. The third option down will say "block sights from setting any data" and make sure that is not checked. I'm not certain but I think that could cause your problems. I'd be happy to "check" mine and try to duplicate your result but I've got some sort of malware on my computer that is keeping me from being able to stay on certain sites and Armslist is one of the affected sites. If this couldn't cause your problems then I'm sure someone will chime in.