Post Photos of Your Bedside Home Defense Weapon(s)

JohnC

I have this in a digital picture frame beside my bed, works very good.  If you watched TV in the 70s, then you know what I am talking about, otherwise you don't:

[url=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/esther_zps9df17e84.jpg.html]esther_zps9df17e84.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Runco
  • Like 4

I had a 7rnd. mag extention installed but it is a cheapo, shells would get hung in the tube. I made sure the "dimples" in the 870 Express tube were ground down, no issues there.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/DSCN2538_zpsa7c2b226.jpg.html]DSCN2538_zpsa7c2b226.jpg[/URL]

Does Glock have high-cap mags for the 45acp? I've never seen anything but 9mm in high cap.

There are Korean made 27 round mags for 45acp. My Glock likes them and feeds fine. However my Just Right Carbine won't feed from them. There are also kits to turn your 13 round mags to 30 rounders for the K riss I haven't tried them yet. The kits cost 30-40 plus a 13 round mag. Not sure if they are worth it.

This is my favorite gun, at least for now. I really like how it shoots, handles and conceals. And with the 7.62x39 caliber it is more than adequate for self defense, even out of its 7.5" barrel.

This setup is not so much just for the bedroom but this is something that gets used for our bedroom, our home as well as in our vehicle when we are away from home. In the past I have also used various shotguns, various rifles and definitely some pistols but I have settled into this being the "forever" gun used in the home and away from the home. And because it is a "handgun" I can legally carry it anywhere I can legally carry my sidearm. It will not replace my sidearm but will be used in conjunction with my sidearm when I can. At home it is not stored in the bag but laying on top of the bag.

My original bag was your typical small tactical bag that would look out of place in most places I would be so the search was on for a less obvious bag. Thae tactical bag also precluded the use of 30 round magazines. So after a few suggestions from friends, and urging from my wife, I decided to try the California Pak Ransom 18 inch available from Amazon. It is perfect, with a capital P, for this setup. It allows a 30 round magazine to be in the gun, which the previous bag did not, and has plenty of storage for other items I would need like a knife, flash light, first aid supplies and the few other items I feel are necessary for a bag I am using to get home or deal with immmediate threats. I can easily reach in the bag and either load or unload the weapon without actually removing the gun from the bag.

Here is the inconspicuous looking bag closed. 

rGEDC0013_zps0e555671.jpg

And how the inside looks with the gun, and other items, stored inside.

rGEDC0005_zps0d5246ce.jpg

And finally, the opened bag with the deployed "handgun" placed on top.

rGEDC0002_zps9a9fd724.jpg

And a picture of the gun by itself.

rIMG_0203_zps0accbb60.jpg

The AK itself is nothing more than a standard Mini Draco with a 7.5" barrel. It uses standard AK muzzle devices and other than the forearm everything else is pretty much standard AK. I had originally bought a M92 PAP but decided against it because it was too long for most bags and it was HEAVY, weighing over 9 pounds loaded with a 30 round magazine. By comparison the Mini Draco weighs less than 8.5 pounds with the Sig Brace, folding mechanism and 30 roudn magazine loaded with a mix of 123 grain and 154 grain bullets. I drilled and tapped the rear of the receiver (yes it is extremely hard) for the 10-32 screws to attach the Stormwerkz hinge, the best IMHO and definitely better than ACE hinges. On the other side of the hinge I attached a pig nose adapter to allow me to use the extended buffer tube with an original Sig Brace.

I swapped in a Hogue over molded pistol grip and added a 550 cord loop for a rear sling point. I replaced the standard 500 meter rear sight with an RPK style rear sight that has adjustments for wind. I did this so I can center the front sight because I believe that the front sight ears also help to get on target faster so when the front sight post is not in the center of the sings I think it can affect sight picture under stress.

I replaced the factory single point trigger with a double hook trigger. The second hook was modified to turn it into an over travel stop. This significantly reduces the over travel of the factory AK trigger which is probably the single worst part of the AK platform. I also replaced the factory twisted hammer/trigger spring with a Damage Industries spring not because the factory unit is bad but because I wanted something of known quality.

I replaced the factory birdcage flash hider with standard slant brake that I shortened. It looks like a thread protector but because it still has the internal bump in place it works like an unmodified slant brake but is 1/2" shorter.

The forearm is from a Saiga rifle, not a shotgun, that I chopped down to fit the Mini Draco. This one is the third version. I tried it with a rail and Magpul AFG but I felt it just added weight and complexity that it does not need. I took a 10-32 screw and sharpened it, then screwed it into the hole the forearm screw goes into with the point out. I then installed the rear of the forearm then pressed the front of the forearm onto the sharpened screw. This gave me the exact place to drill the clearance hole for the 10-32 sling swivel. After sanding the front I used a Sharpie to match the rest of the forearm.

• Like 3

This is my favorite gun, at least for now. I really like how it shoots, handles and conceals. And with the 7.62x39 caliber it is more than adequate for self defense, even out of its 7.5" barrel.

This setup is not so much just for the bedroom but this is something that gets used for our bedroom, our home as well as in our vehicle when we are away from home. In the past I have also used various shotguns, various rifles and definitely some pistols but I have settled into this being the "forever" gun used in the home and away from the home. And because it is a "handgun" I can legally carry it anywhere I can legally carry my sidearm. It will not replace my sidearm but will be used in conjunction with my sidearm when I can. At home it is not stored in the bag but laying on top of the bag.

My original bag was your typical small tactical bag that would look out of place in most places I would be so the search was on for a less obvious bag. Thae tactical bag also precluded the use of 30 round magazines. So after a few suggestions from friends, and urging from my wife, I decided to try the California Pak Ransom 18 inch available from Amazon. It is perfect, with a capital P, for this setup. It allows a 30 round magazine to be in the gun, which the previous bag did not, and has plenty of storage for other items I would need like a knife, flash light, first aid supplies and the few other items I feel are necessary for a bag I am using to get home or deal with immmediate threats. I can easily reach in the bag and either load or unload the weapon without actually removing the gun from the bag.

Here is the inconspicuous looking bag closed. 
rGEDC0013_zps0e555671.jpg

And how the inside looks with the gun, and other items, stored inside.
rGEDC0005_zps0d5246ce.jpg

And finally, the opened bag with the deployed "handgun" placed on top.
rGEDC0002_zps9a9fd724.jpg

And a picture of the gun by itself.
rIMG_0203_zps0accbb60.jpg

The AK itself is nothing more than a standard Mini Draco with a 7.5" barrel. It uses standard AK muzzle devices and other than the forearm everything else is pretty much standard AK. I had originally bought a M92 PAP but decided against it because it was too long for most bags and it was HEAVY, weighing over 9 pounds loaded with a 30 round magazine. By comparison the Mini Draco weighs less than 8.5 pounds with the Sig Brace, folding mechanism and 30 roudn magazine loaded with a mix of 123 grain and 154 grain bullets. I drilled and tapped the rear of the receiver (yes it is extremely hard) for the 10-32 screws to attach the Stormwerkz hinge, the best IMHO and definitely better than ACE hinges. On the other side of the hinge I attached a pig nose adapter to allow me to use the extended buffer tube with an original Sig Brace.

I swapped in a Hogue over molded pistol grip and added a 550 cord loop for a rear sling point. I replaced the standard 500 meter rear sight with an RPK style rear sight that has adjustments for wind. I did this so I can center the front sight because I believe that the front sight ears also help to get on target faster so when the front sight post is not in the center of the sings I think it can affect sight picture under stress.

I replaced the factory single point trigger with a double hook trigger. The second hook was modified to turn it into an over travel stop. This significantly reduces the over travel of the factory AK trigger which is probably the single worst part of the AK platform. I also replaced the factory twisted hammer/trigger spring with a Damage Industries spring not because the factory unit is bad but because I wanted something of known quality.

I replaced the factory birdcage flash hider with standard slant brake that I shortened. It looks like a thread protector but because it still has the internal bump in place it works like an unmodified slant brake but is 1/2" shorter.

The forearm is from a Saiga rifle, not a shotgun, that I chopped down to fit the Mini Draco. This one is the third version. I tried it with a rail and Magpul AFG but I felt it just added weight and complexity that it does not need. I took a 10-32 screw and sharpened it, then screwed it into the hole the forearm screw goes into with the point out. I then installed the rear of the forearm then pressed the front of the forearm onto the sharpened screw. This gave me the exact place to drill the clearance hole for the 10-32 sling swivel. After sanding the front I used a Sharpie to match the rest of the forearm.

That's super nice! :up: