Kindle and other readers

hipower

Me too, book lover since early childhood.. I find though that I now prefer reading on my kindle mostly due to the dictionary/web search feature. Instead of just reading over words I'm not familiar with I now get a definition. I get info on places I'm not familiar with, and I can check historical accuracy of facts, all things I can't do in a print book. I get a lot more involved in my reading.
Dont get me wrong - still love printed books. Kids books, illustrated books, collectible books, field guides, etc all still have space on my bookshelf.

Another quick note for anyone thinking that e-books are not good for the book business: E-books enable authors who previously wouldn't have been able to get their books past gatekeepers at publishing companies to get their books into the hands of readers. Authors, publishers, editors, salespeople, and now even distribution companies all receive their cut for an e-book. The only people losing out are the printing companies, most of which are off-shore facilities.

You make some good points. Along with yours, the current climate in the publishing world, at least with those like Amazon, and B&N, are allowing more and more of the beginners and lesser known writes access to market.

And many of them are going straight to ebook.

One of my current personal favorites, Evan Currie, has about half of his work available only as an ebook.

I think I managed to find a cheaper deal on Ebay. Base price was the same but there was tax due on the Amazon purchase. If you are happy going used, ebay will be your better bet anyway, probably. Also give Craigslist a quick look.

Thanks, with Black Friday approaching, I'm sure there will be some great sales. I heard last evening that Best Buy was going to offer some half price kindle products online then.

Nashville library system also uses Overdrive app for e-book checkout. It's all done from home. Amazon actually has good instructions on getting library books to and from the Kindle so that shouldn't be hard to use.

If you're using a smartphone you could think about downloading the kindle app to that. You could at least try the Kindle service out before making the bigger purchase (app is free, download a free book to try, etc.). Also if you do buy a Kindle, you can still use the phone app to read from if you're ever without your Kindle. You can sync the libraries so they are the same, and it will keep up with your last read page.

As far as where to buy from, I'd go wherever you find a good deal. I'm sure Amazon will have specials in the coming weeks. They also have certified refurbished ones you can look at also (from Amazon). I'd just keep an eye on several retailers and eBah and grab when I found the cheapest. No rush, especially if you think about giving the app a trial anyway.

I love my Kindle Fire HDX, but there are some things I don't like.  It's basically a stripped down android tablet, running a custom interface, and as such they have disabled some features that as low level techie I would like.   I also have side loaded a few apps that are not available from the kindle store, so I can run B&N Nook on my kindle.  I think Chrome was another one I side loaded.

What reader you use really depends on what you want it for.  My daughter had a Kindle HD (shes 10) and uses it for some of her school work, reading books and playing.  

Since I have a prime account I've loaded some movies we've purchased (the one with "free digital copy") and both kids watch movies on road trips using my kindle. No more changing DVD's, no more scratched DVD's no more lost DVD's.

I had a B&N Nook, but don't really care for it.

Nashville library system also uses Overdrive app for e-book checkout. It's all done from home. Amazon actually has good instructions on getting library books to and from the Kindle so that shouldn't be hard to use.

If you're using a smartphone you could think about downloading the kindle app to that. You could at least try the Kindle service out before making the bigger purchase (app is free, download a free book to try, etc.). Also if you do buy a Kindle, you can still use the phone app to read from if you're ever without your Kindle. You can sync the libraries so they are the same, and it will keep up with your last read page.

As far as where to buy from, I'd go wherever you find a good deal. I'm sure Amazon will have specials in the coming weeks. They also have certified refurbished ones you can look at also (from Amazon). I'd just keep an eye on several retailers and eBah and grab when I found the cheapest. No rush, especially if you think about giving the app a trial anyway.

Good point about the phone app. I'll try it.

The only drawback I see is the screen size and my old eyes. That is one of the reservations I have about a reader. I read Adrian's Undead Diary here on the pc, and I did have a few issues with reading so long at a time on my monitor(21").

Good point about the phone app. I'll try it.

The only drawback I see is the screen size and my old eyes. That is one of the reservations I have about a reader. I read Adrian's Undead Diary here on the pc, and I did have a few issues with reading so long at a time on my monitor(21").

Just loaded my app and checked. You can increase the size of the font on your device. You can do this on the app and on the Kindle. It gets bigger than this, but here's a pic of one of the bigger fonts on the phone.

97A2A574-6ED5-48D3-9CD1-2548E556151F_zps

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the comments and help you have given me. You have proven once again that TGO is a place to go for help and fun, as well as gun related stuff.

As of right now, I am sort of leaning towards the Kindle Voyage, at least on the basis of the screen and image clarity. Also think I may go with the wifi/3G format.

Any comments from you on this combination?

I got one of these free with a new computer, but at $249 they are pretty cool. It’s a full Windows 8 OS and even comes with full MS Office.
It’s not as simple as a reader, but has almost all the ability of a laptop. Just another option...
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?oc=FNDNV8P01H&ST=pla&dgc=ST&cid=262076&lid=4742362&acd=1230980731501410 Edited by DaveTN

...  I'm a constant reader and I like paper.

So am I. However, I'm finding that more and more things are beginning to be e-reader format only. I won't stop buying "real books", just will have the capability to get some of the newer material and authors, as well as replace some older books that I lost in 2010 floods.

The Voyage is a new one on me. It's e-ink so I'm sure it will be more than adequate. I just don't rate reading on an LCD screen for any amount of time (though I have certainly gone through a few books that way)

You are totally correct about books. I have met several people who say "I gots to have my books" but I explain to them that a Kindle does not preclude you from having real books as well and when they try it, they're caught. Hundreds of books able to be carried with you anywhere, instant purchase of new books when you want them, wherever you want them, Project Gutenberg and Baen Free library (amongst others) providing thousands of free e-books... Then there are people who could do with their books in a slightly larger font. Definitely one of those "Don't knock it until you've tried it" kinda things.

Edited by tnguy

I use the Kindle app and an app called Cool Reader on my Nexus 7 for reading these days.  I love how Cool Reader lets me change the background, font, font size, and color.

I still read real books as well, but having more outlets to read is never a bad thing, especially for kids who have no memory of a life without the tech we've seen emerge.

As of right now, I am sort of leaning towards the Kindle Voyage, at least on the basis of the screen and image clarity. Also think I may go with the wifi/3G format.

Any comments from you on this combination?

I handled a co-worker's Voyage today and I'm not sure if I would pay the additional $80 over the Paperwhite but that's just me.   (Be sure to handle both.)  Regarding the wifi/3G format, unless you are prone to get a wild hair to download books away from a wifi connection, I wouldn't pay the additional $70 to get the 3G.

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 1

I handled a co-worker's Voyage today and I'm not sure if I would pay the additional $80 over the Paperwhite but that's just me.   (Be sure to handle both.)  Regarding the wifi/3G format, unless you are prone to get a wild hair to download books away from a wifi connection, I wouldn't pay the additional $70 to get the 3G.

I tend to agree re: the 3G ... but I'm cheap and do most of my library management at home, where there's WiFi.  

Looks like the Voyage brings back the physical buttons. Good, they were a lot better than the touchscreen operation, especially since the UI got a little laggy in a recent update. Also lighter, better resolution and contrast. A few ergonomic improvements...

Hmm. Not real physical buttons so it remains to be seen if it's better than tapping the page. Sounds like it might work well though. I liked being able to turn the page with a twitch of my thumb on the Mk1.

Another new addition is a set of pressure-sensitive page-turn buttons on either side of the bezel. You keep your thumb resting on the button and then press lightly to make the page turn forward or back, depending on whether you touch the top or bottom button. You also get a some haptic feedback -- a slight buzz on your finger -- with each page turn. Amazon calls the new feature PagePress and it works well.

It's probably a while until they drop the price (they do it at the same time each year) so probably a case of get it if you want it.

WRT Wifi, you should see if a neighbor has an open hotspot. Though you don't actually need it to operate the Kindle, it's just a nice-to-have. Everything can be done over USB (though you won't get the OS updates, you probably won't notice the difference).

(Edit: I think the initial setup must be done with a network connection to register the Kindle to your Amazon account if you want to use their service) Edited by tnguy

no one seems to have mentioned the Nook. I got one of them for my wife either two or three years ago and I think it's now permanently grown to her. She is never without it and reads all the time. It's time to get her a new one, one that she can read at night. I originally opted for the Nook over the Kindle because of the compatibility of getting books from the library. She has never purchased a book for the reader and doubt she ever will. It still says the Kindle will not work with Epub, but I'm not sure if that's your typical format for library books or not? I think there is probably a better selection of Kindle cases/accessories than the Nook and she does like to browse the internet and maybe the Kindle is better for that. Mainly though it's for reading and checking out library books.

Not sure if I should go back with a Nook, the glow version, or switch over to a Kindle. She has to download her books by connecting it to her laptop currently. Does anyone know if you can connect directly to library services with either of them rather than having to tether to a computer?

You can convert epub for the kindle. Calibre is the software I use but not sure if it's available for Windows.

I don't believe the Kindle can download e-books directly from the browser. However, you can set up an email address on the amazon site that you can email documents to and they will show up on your kindle wirelessly. This can actually be a cute way to send notes, poetry, whatever to your SO.

Edited by tnguy

You can convert epub for the kindle. Calibre is the software I use but not sure if it's available for Windows.

I don't believe the Kindle can download e-books directly from the browser. However, you can set up an email address on the amazon site that you can email documents to and they will show up on your kindle wirelessly. This can actually be a cute way to send notes, poetry, whatever to your SO.

Kindle Fire directly downloads from Amazon. 

• Moderators

Kindle Fire directly downloads from Amazon. 

Right. But you also have the capability of downloading/creating whatever you want and "sideloading" it via USB. Something file formats are not compatible but can be converted via Calibre. If it has DRM on it that isn't Amazon's, it is typically a no go.

What you can do is setup an email address in Calibre that is your "Add to Kindle" address.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

Setup email based sharing of books: Allows sharing of books and news feeds by email. After setting up email addresses for this option, calibre will send news updates and book updates to the entered email addresses. You can configure how calibre sends email by setting preferences at Preferences->Sharing->Sharing books by email. Once you have set up one or more email addresses, this menu entry will be replaced by menu entries to send books to the configured email addresses.

All of this is probably a level or two above the standard "buy books from Amazon's Kindle Store". I'm not saying any of it is difficult, but for someone that isn't familiar with .epub/.mobi and then your run of the mill .txt, .pdf, etc and then on top of that USB and email server settings, it can be a bit confusing at first.

Setup email based sharing of books: Allows sharing of books and news feeds by email. After setting up email addresses for this option, calibre will send news updates and book updates to the entered email addresses. You can configure how calibre sends email by setting preferences at Preferences->Sharing->Sharing books by email. Once you have set up one or more email addresses, this menu entry will be replaced by menu entries to send books to the configured email addresses.

I wasn't aware of that functionality in Calibre. Mostly I've just used it for converting file-types and occasionally stripping the DRM from Amazon e-books. I'll have to look into that.
  • Moderators

I wasn't aware of that functionality in Calibre. Mostly I've just used it for converting file-types and occasionally stripping the DRM from Amazon e-books. I'll have to look into that.

I nearly always use TN Reads for "rentals" now (free).

http://reads.lib.overdrive.com/4FCDF64E-76E8-40CE-8769-3BCB298C0F98/10/50/en/Default.htm

But, when I dealt more with free archives and the like, Calibre and it's "send" feature was nice:)