Colt 1991O, Opinions

runco

I have 14 1911 pistols. I bought all of them new. I have Springfields, Rugers and Smith &Wessons. I had 16 but sold the two Colts. I did not care for the cheap looking triggers, plastic mainspring housings, or plain looking aspects of the Colts. I have two of the cheapest Springfields ( Mil Specs ) which I would consider the equal of the Colt. They cost $550 each and have metal mainspring housings. I do not think todays Colt is the Colt we all remember so fondly.

• Like 1

I have 14 1911 pistols. I bought all of them new. I have Springfields, Rugers and Smith &Wessons. I had 16 but sold the two Colts. I did not care for the cheap looking triggers, plastic mainspring housings, or plain looking aspects of the Colts. I have two of the cheapest Springfields ( Mil Specs ) which I would consider the equal of the Colt. They cost $550 each and have metal mainspring housings. I do not think todays Colt is the Colt we all remember so fondly.

Thank you.  Is there a "plastic" mainspring housing in this specific Colt?  Tell me more!

Several years ago, when Taurus first came out with their 1911, I went to a gun show to buy a Taurus. I found a new Taurus 1911 with all the "features" you would expect on a much more expensive pistol. (How does drilling holes in a trigger make it better?)  I picked up the Taurus and noticed that the bluing was flawed. Right next to Taurus was a Government model SS Colt 1991 series 80. I looked at the Colt, then the Taurus. It was a no brainer. I paid the extra money and got the Colt. I know people talk trash about the series 80 because when they first came out they had problems with the firing pin. Those problems were fixed quickly. My 1991A is 100% reliable after all these years and is as accurate as any pistol I own. It is a pleasure to shoot and easy to carry. There are a lot of 1911 clones out there but only one that has a pony on the slide. I had a guy shoot my Colt 1991 and then sell his Kimber so he could buy a Colt. Yes I believe my Colt does have a plastic main spring housing, I have heard that complaint before, but after all these years it has not affected the guns performance at all. I am no expert on 1911s but 100% reliability and excellent accuracy speaks for itself.

Edited by Will Carry

BTW, my $475 Metro Arms shoots better than any Colt I have owned.

Qualify this statement, I would like to know more.  Tell me about the side by side comparison, and ultimately what made the Metro Arms better.  Was it the barrel, trigger, sights, what?

Thank you.  Is there a "plastic" mainspring housing in this specific Colt?  Tell me more!

I believe it is. That being said,there is nothing wrong with plastic in a gun. Glock has done it very sucessfully for years. But Glock sells their guns for about $300 less than Colt. I am just a traditionalist as want 1911's to be all steel. You can buy an aftermarket steel housing for abour $35 and swap it out in about 5 minutes. I tried to buy a steel one from Colt to swap mine out but was told Colt no longer offers a steel one.

Edited by Eray

Qualify this statement, I would like to know more. Tell me about the side by side comparison, and ultimately what made the Metro Arms better. Was it the barrel, trigger, sights, what?

Shooting them both side by side several times over the coarse of several days the Metro routinely had smaller groups regardless of the ammo used. This was before I started reloading so this was all with factory loaded ammo. Yes the sights on the Metro were better than the Colt and the triggers were comparable. And this was before I went through my Metro and replaced parts.

I will say that the Colt was used according to the person selling it but not much. Looked brand new internally with some minor cosmetic flaws externally.

And one more thing. The frame to slide fit was MUCH tighter on the Metro than on the Colt.

In the end I sold the Colt because I would feel guilty for using, and abusing, it like I do some of my guns. And because the Metro did shoot better I did not mind keeping it.

Yes, the Colt 1991 will have a plastic mainspring housing. I've never heard of any problems with them, but do admit I don't care for the idea of it. 

However, I prefer an arched mainspring housing so I would have changed it out anyway. No big deal to me.

Runco, I seems to me that you've just about let these guys talk you out of buying the Colt. I happen to like Colts and own quite a few. I have Pre-70 Series, 70 Series and 80 series Colt 1911s. never had a problem with any of them. Frankly, I keep wondering where all these troublesome Colts come from. I've never had one.  :shrug:

Being the 1911 lover that I am, I also own several other brands as well. So If you've decided against the Colt, I'll make a couple of recommendations. 

If you're just looking for an entry level gun to get your feet wet, I've heard nothing but good things about Rock Island Armory. Don't own one myself, but I have seen and shot them. They seem to be quite good for the money.

I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory pistols and own four of them. They have several models in the under $700 price range that would serve you well. I might add that they have the best customer service in the business. 

Right now I really think the best bang for your buck is the Remington 1911R1. I bought one when they first came out and have been excedingly happy with it. Admitedly the finish is a bit on the plain side, but they're great shootwers and have the absolute best out-of-the-box trigger I've ever felt on a factory gun. 

Yeah, I know. I'm still fairly new around here and some of you might be thinking I'm just full of it. I claim no expertise on any guns whatsoever. However, I am a big fan of the 1911 and feel that I can at least offer an informed opinion. 

100_0911.jpg

btw: This is an old picture. I've added a few more since then.  ;)

• Like 1

And one more thing I must say. All guns are different and individually their accuracy will vary significantly, even with the same model. I could have owned the worst Colt 1911 they ever made and my Metro could have been the best they ever made. Or it could have been that the Metro loved all the ammo I tried and the Colt did not. I did not shoot a lot of different kinds of ammo but I probably shot 4 different kinds from several different makers.

Don't let me talk you out of buying a Colt. Colts are pieces of history and nothing can replace that but for me performance is more important than history. And even so that is a great price on a Colt and I am sure it is just as good as any other 1911 in that price range.

If it were me and I had ~$700 to spend I would probably buy a Ruger but if I bought that Colt I know I would be able to sell it later and probably at least get my money back.

Yes, the Colt 1991 will have a plastic mainspring housing. I've never heard of any problems with them, but do admit I don't care for the idea of it. 

However, I prefer an arched mainspring housing so I would have changed it out anyway. No big deal to me.

Runco, I seems to me that you've just about let these guys talk you out of buying the Colt. I happen to like Colts and own quite a few. I have Pre-70 Series, 70 Series and 80 series Colt 1911s. never had a problem with any of them. Frankly, I keep wondering where all these troublesome Colts come from. I've never had one.  :shrug:

Being the 1911 lover that I am, I also own several other brands as well. So If you've decided against the Colt, I'll make a couple of recommendations. 

If you're just looking for an entry level gun to get your feet wet, I've heard nothing but good things about Rock Island Armory. Don't own one myself, but I have seen and shot them. They seem to be quite good for the money.

I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory pistols and own four of them. They have several models in the under $700 price range that would serve you well. I might add that they have the best customer service in the business. 

Right now I really think the best bang for your buck is the Remington 1911R1. I bought one when they first came out and have been excedingly happy with it. Admitedly the finish is a bit on the plain side, but they're great shootwers and have the absolute best out-of-the-box trigger I've ever felt on a factory gun. 

Yeah, I know. I'm still fairly new around here and some of you might be thinking I'm just full of it. I claim no expertise on any guns whatsoever. However, I am a big fan of the 1911 and feel that I can at least offer an informed opinion. 

100_0911.jpg

btw: This is an old picture. I've added a few more since then.  ;)

Grayfox54, thanks for the input, really.  No I am not talked out of it.  My mind was actually made up before posting.  The intent of the thread was multifaceted:  1.) To solicit any bad experience from local folk with this plane jane model, 2.)  I did want to pass along the deal that I found in hopes someone would find a better deal, and 3.) To instigate a little because I know there are some Colt lovers out there too, along with Colt bashers :stir: . 

I do hang out on the 1911 forums as a lurker, because I am intrigued by the 1911, so I have done lots of homework.  Plus, I am a mix of a nutty gun collector and a shooter.  Just to share, looking back over my gun collecting lifetime, my interests move, I have gone through phases of guns from my childhood (22LR, 410, etc.), hand me downs from family, high end 22LR bolt action rifles, old sxs shotguns, sporting clays o/u, lever actions, old country boy 22LR bolt actions, Defense Shotguns, Sig P series pistols, Glock Gen2 series pistols, and just finished up with a very strong AR craze, add in a strong mix of wanting to leave a legacy collection to my 4 sons, then you get the picture of what I have.  Reflecting, what I realized is missing is that I don't have any 1911.  With my attention turning to something new, yes Colt would be on the list, it was either going to be #1 or #2, and for the past 1-2 years off/on research, and the Dan Wesson 1911 was going to be first, then followed by a Colt or two, then venture into the Springfields, or maybe a very high end brand too.  So out of nowhere about 2 weeks ago, I changed my mind from the Dan Wesson, and decided to go with the basic plain Colt first, to set the minimum benchmark to compare to for all future purchase too, basically to cut my teeth on.  I have already handled this Colt multiple times, and again did it yesterday while at Buds in Sevierville and SMKW, it sure is plain, and there are sure far prettier ones, but this is going to be it, first.  Both places had their prices for the same gun about $200 more than what I can buy in my OP before the rebate. 

So I am not talked out of it, I just wanted conversation to affirm or create a little doubt, and if someone knows a better price ( :crazy: ).  My judgment, no shroud of doubt has been created, but much affirmation to the Colt.  So if this thread has a evolution, I do need input on the best deal.  BTW, my obsession of guns, is met with a stronger zeal of going to the ends of the earth to find the lowest lowest price, its an obsessive, mind numbing, centric, weird DNA code passed on to me by my father.  :screwy:   I have this craziness with everything, and it is getting worse I think!

Edited by Runco

I think many of the bad opions of some 1911s are actually the fault of the magazines. I befuddles me how some makers build really good pistols and then cheap out on the mags that go with them. I like Springfield 1911s, but the mags they supply are just so-so. Some work just fine, others not so much. And while my Remington R1 is a great pistol, the magazines that came with it are pure junk. 

So if your new 1911 doesn't want to work quite right, try some better mags before condeming it. 

For .45acps I highly recommend the Wilson Combat magazines. Yes, they are expensive, but they are the best. These are the only magazines I use for competition or carry.

If your 1911 is in 9mm or 38 Super, Metalform is the way to go. Metalform also makes Colt's factory mags. 

The magazine is the heart of a semi-auto pistol. Buy the best.

• Like 2

I think many of the bad opions of some 1911s are actually the fault of the magazines. I befuddles me how some makers build really good pistols and then cheap out on the mags that go with them. I like Springfield 1911s, but the mags they supply are just so-so. Some work just fine, others not so much. And while my Remington R1 is a great pistol, the magazines that came with it are pure junk.
So if your new 1911 doesn't want to work quite right, try some better mags before condeming it.
For .45acps I highly recommend the Wilson Combat magazines. Yes, they are expensive, but they are the best. These are the only magazines I use for competition or carry.
If your 1911 is in 9mm or 38 Super, Metalform is the way to go. Metalform also makes Colt's factory mags.
The magazine is the heart of a semi-auto pistol. Buy the best.

I've only owned one 1911. Turns out they just aren't for me, nothing bad to say about them though. However, while I owned it, I noticed one thing when comparing it to others. The Ruger SR1911 shipped with 2 freaking awesome mags. I played with all kinds of weird loads to see what I liked and/or shot best. During that experimentation, those 2 factory mags were always 100%. I can't say enough good things about them. Edited by BigK

I've heard good and bad opinions of Kimber, Colt, Springfield and other 1911 pistols.  My Rock Island doesn't have the quality of finish as that of my Wilson Combat or SA PRO, but it has been accurate and never failed to fire. 

• Like 1

I've heard good and bad opinions of Kimber, Colt, Springfield and other 1911 pistols.  My Rock Island doesn't have the quality of finish as that of my Wilson Combat or SA PRO, but it has been accurate and never failed to fire. 

That's what I'm talkin' bout! :up: Reliable accurate.

Grayfox54, thanks for the input, really.  No I am not talked out of it.  My mind was actually made up before posting.  The intent of the thread was multifaceted:  1.) To solicit any bad experience from local folk with this plane jane model, 2.)  I did want to pass along the deal that I found in hopes someone would find a better deal, and 3.) To instigate a little because I know there are some Colt lovers out there too, along with Colt bashers :stir: . 

I do hang out on the 1911 forums as a lurker, because I am intrigued by the 1911, so I have done lots of homework.  Plus, I am a mix of a nutty gun collector and a shooter.  Just to share, looking back over my gun collecting lifetime, my interests move, I have gone through phases of guns from my childhood (22LR, 410, etc.), hand me downs from family, high end 22LR bolt action rifles, old sxs shotguns, sporting clays o/u, lever actions, old country boy 22LR bolt actions, Defense Shotguns, Sig P series pistols, Glock Gen2 series pistols, and just finished up with a very strong AR craze, add in a strong mix of wanting to leave a legacy collection to my 4 sons, then you get the picture of what I have.  Reflecting, what I realized is missing is that I don't have any 1911.  With my attention turning to something new, yes Colt would be on the list, it was either going to be #1 or #2, and for the past 1-2 years off/on research, and the Dan Wesson 1911 was going to be first, then followed by a Colt or two, then venture into the Springfields, or maybe a very high end brand too.  So out of nowhere about 2 weeks ago, I changed my mind from the Dan Wesson, and decided to go with the basic plain Colt first, to set the minimum benchmark to compare to for all future purchase too, basically to cut my teeth on.  I have already handled this Colt multiple times, and again did it yesterday while at Buds in Sevierville and SMKW, it sure is plain, and there are sure far prettier ones, but this is going to be it, first.  Both places had their prices for the same gun about $200 more than what I can buy in my OP before the rebate. 

So I am not talked out of it, I just wanted conversation to affirm or create a little doubt, and if someone knows a better price ( :crazy: ).  My judgment, no shroud of doubt has been created, but much affirmation to the Colt.  So if this thread has a evolution, I do need input on the best deal.  BTW, my obsession of guns, is met with a stronger zeal of going to the ends of the earth to find the lowest lowest price, its an obsessive, mind numbing, centric, weird DNA code passed on to me by my father.  :screwy:   I have this craziness with everything, and it is getting worse I think!

I do not consider myself a Colt basher. I do consider my self a person who is always looking for the best performance for my buck. So what appears to be bashing is actually a person who HAS figured out that Colt is not the best bang for the buck for MY performance. Does that mean Colts suck? Hardly but for me there are plenty of other brands that surpass Colt when it comes to my reasons for owning a 1911.