Pastor charged with felony for spanking son

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

Pastor charged with felony for spanking son

Teacher calls social services on father after he paddles child for lying

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: October 25, 2008

1:00 am Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A Wisconsin pastor has been charged with felony physical abuse of a child after he spanked his 12-year-old son for lying and a teacher notified social services.

Barry W. Barnett Jr., 43, of Poynette, Wis., is free on a $10,000 bond, but he could face up to three years in prison and fines for disciplining his son, the local Portage Daily Register reported.

At the pastor's hearing, Barnett's son said his father was right to spank him .

"He gave me a chance to tell him the truth, and I just kept lying to him," the boy said.

The boy said his father gave him two "swats" that "hurt a little" on his rear end in June. He told authorities both he and his dad cried while he was disciplined.

The 12-year-old said he was warned he might receive a spanking if he continued to act up and that he understands what he did was wrong.

"You should not lie to your parents and you should not go to places (where you are not allowed)," he said.

One of his siblings mentioned the spanking to a teacher, who called social services, according to the report.

A June 7 report from the Divine Savior Healthcare emergency department indicated that the boy had slight bruising on his buttocks, but it said there was no swelling and he was not experiencing pain. The medical paperwork said the boy told physicians he didn't think he was abused and he loves his father.

The documents show the boy's doctor does not believe he was abused, and he called the event a "social services fiasco."

Barnett is a pastor at Lighthouse Family Ministries in Poynette, Wis. A father of nine children, he founded Guardian Christian Academy.

A judge ruled Thursday that the case will head to trial. Now jurors at the Columbia County Courthouse will decide whether the spanking constituted "reasonable discipline" permitted under state law. The pastor's 21-year-old daughter, Amber, stood outside with a sign that read, "Thank you for spanking me dad" as a showing of support for her father.

District Attorney Jane Kohlwey told the Portage Daily Register the spanking was not reasonable, because it left bruising, though Barnett's attorney claims photographs only reveal red marks.

"We feel that he went beyond reasonable discipline and that it's a pattern," Kohlwey said.

Barnett has been forbidden from spanking any child as part of his bond.

More evidence that the society we live in is completely and totally ****ed. :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ghostrider
Teacher should be brought up on charges for being an idiot...

To me, that's one of the major problems with out system. You can rat anyone for anything, or nothing, and if you can make them defend themselves legally, you can pretty much bankrupt a regular working guy, while the dorkbreath that started it, like this teacher, is free of any possibility of punishment (so long as it's not an out an out lie)...

I hate hearing stories like this.

I would venture a guess that most of the people on this board were raised with corporal punishment. Dad would use ping pong paddles to spank us. The worst part was he would make us go to the basement and pick out the paddle. Ya know, I hate ping pong to this day...:)

Guest canynracer

I was spanked, and if they deserve it, I do spank my kids...

People are whacked....My oldest and I screw with people in the grocery store...she will start nagging me, I will turn to her and say "KNOCK IT OFF OR I WILL BEAT YOU BLOODY!!!!!!"

she acts all scared and says "SOrry daddy, please dont" then we look at the reactions and break out laughing histerically...

I know I know, I shouldnt...but people need to mind their effing business...unless she is being beaten

I was spanked, and if they deserve it, I do spank my kids...

People are whacked....My oldest and I screw with people in the grocery store...she will start nagging me, I will turn to her and say "KNOCK IT OFF OR I WILL BEAT YOU BLOODY!!!!!!"

she acts all scared and says "SOrry daddy, please dont" then we look at the reactions and break out laughing histerically...

I know I know, I shouldnt...but people need to mind their effing business...unless she is being beaten

That reminds of seeing Bindy Irwin (Late Crocodile Hunter's daughter) and her mom Terry on TV one day. They were asking her about getting in trouble and Bindy hunches away and goes "Please no don't use the whip!" Then her and Terry started cracking up. I thought it was funny, no doubt some social services nut was appalled.:)

who took the picture of the 12 year olds butt, who asked if they could see the 12 year olds butt. THat's who needs to be charged!

I have gone and gotten a switch for my grandmother to use.

The teacher, the prosecutor, the social services person, the judge all need to have the stupid slapped out of them.

I was back handed and caught the business end of a belt several times, hell I am 32 now and my parents would probably still take a swat at me if I disrespected them. Then and now if I angered them to the point of getting hit....I probably deserved it.

I hope the guy is cleared and the DA made to pay the tax payers back out of her own pocket for BS charges.

Guest Verbal Kint
The teacher is a moron. The prosecutor is a moron. The police are morons. The judge is a moron.

What a fuster cluck we are livin' in.

And, that, is the bottom line. As I've said before... I love my country, or I wouldn't have voluntarily joined the military, but I truly hate what society has made of her. :lol:

Guest Boomhower
Once again, people go making other people's business their own . . .

Let the man raise his son the way he wishes!

:lol:.....forbidden words you speak, Lucky.

Such a naughty boy 1004.gif

51TvchCz1BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

hehehehe

I remember one time...my mother was looking after a grand child.

it was nap time and he wouldn't go to sleep. he kept yelling "Graaaanndmaaaaa"..and she ignored him..until he made the fatal mistake...

he yelled "Graaaaandmaaaaa!!! ARE YOU DEAF?!?!?!?!?"

she walked in with the flyswatter and tore his butt up..then replied "does it sound like I'm deaf?? lay there and take a nap!"

she was always like that with all her children...she said what she meant and brooked no argument. and not even a lawyer could make her lie.

trust me..one tried.

I think she bruised his poor ego...that child is ruined to this day. he's never been in trouble, moved out of the house at 18, kept a job and a/b grades all through school, Joined the Army Reserves and as far as I know, he's as honest as the day is long.

yep..she destroyed that poor boy by abusing him.