.44 SBH opinions/advice

ncomarc

I've read, gotten advice from members here and also just talked to people I've met who like revolvers. I'm looking at all the different barrel lengths the Ruger BH comes in and was wondering why there is a 3.5 to 10.5 inch - even found a stated 13.5inch for sale.
Much like the 7mm rem/mag I bought in case I ever pull an elk hunt permit, this handgun will pretty much have few uses.
1. If an opportunity comes up for hog/bear hunting, I think this would work as primary or sidearm if I have a rifle.
2. Maybe deer, but since I hunt the local WMA, I'm pretty much stuck with a muzzleloader.
I plan on putting a scope on it and want to be competent on the handgun before the opportunity rises. Putting this question out there to get insight on things I may have missed and learn from y'all's real world experience. I've gotten to the point that I hopefully buy once and have my tool readily available. My only experience with revolvers are the couple of .38 I use with my HCP so any insight will be appreciated.

For me, if the primary purpose is hunting, I would go with a minimum of a 6" barrel, and would recommend an 8".  I think 10" is getting a bit unwieldy to carry around, but for the right price, I would certainly consider it.  The need for length is of course extra bullet speed.  For a backup gun only, 4" or 6" would be ok.  I think a scope also goes better on an 8", but that is just me.  I may be a little biased.  Not a SBH, but it is an 8 3/8 barrel with scope.

IMAG0055.jpg

• Like 3

SBH, 6.75" barrel, Simons 2x scope, great shooter, loves a 300 gr HP boolit.

I cast and reload, have a few diff molds for 44.

I am not the best shot but am getting better.

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/pistols/SuperBlackHawk44Mag_zpsd0e3a7c0.jpg.html]SuperBlackHawk44Mag_zpsd0e3a7c0.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

Get as long a barrel as you don't mind carrying. They aren't more accurate per se, but will give higher velocities, and the longer sight radius is an aid to better aiming, which will help the shooter attain better accuracy if using factory sights, Mine is a 4-5/8", but it gets carried more than shot.

Bottom line: shorter barrel=easier carrying, longer barrel=more feet per second and a longer sight radius.

• Like 1
When iwuz younger and not gimped; if i went into the woods, i carried either a 357, 41 mag, or 44 mag Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel in some kind of shoulder or "sportsman's holster"...  I grew up shootin and reloading them and kept them stoked with the appropriate amount of hardcast lead swcs loaded ahead of a good charge of 2400...  They are the best "walkin around" (...as the great John Taffin says...) handgun there is... The 4 5/8 is relatively light (...the ones with the aluminum gripframes...) and easy to handle... They are hell for stout and more accurate than 95%+ of us shooters are...

You are well armed and a thoroughly dangerous if you master the Ruger Blackhawk for the woods and hunting... I learned to shoot these hard kickers with the sights that are on them... The add on stuff like the long eye relief scopes just make 'em more bulky...

If i wuz goin ta do a scoped pistol; it would be a Thompson Contender in a 44 mag or bigger; but that's just me... The contender is flat and can be carried on a sling almost like a rifle... They are inherently accurate and lend themselves to long range shooting...

leroy

Edited by leroy

For me, if the primary purpose is hunting, I would go with a minimum of a 6" barrel, and would recommend an 8".  I think 10" is getting a bit unwieldy to carry around, but for the right price, I would certainly consider it.  The need for length is of course extra bullet speed.  For a backup gun only, 4" or 6" would be ok.  I think a scope also goes better on an 8", but that is just me.  I may be a little biased.  Not a SBH, but it is an 8 3/8 barrel with scope.

IMAG0055.jpg

That's a purdy weapon there, Hozzie.

Those are great looking guns. I'll check out the T/C Contender just so I can get the feel and see if it might call to me better than the SBH. I've handled some at stores, but I know it won't be obvious to me what I "want" till I've had it while so thanks for giving insight on how/why you choose what you have.

If you are going to use it as a primary, then by all means get a long barrel (6 to 8 inch) and scope it, but if it is going to be a backup, then the scope is going to slow you down.  I am assuming that as a backup, you would want something you could get into battery, fast and accurate.  A long barrel and scope are not what you are looking for. I think the 3.3/4 inch or the 4 5/8 inch is what you want.

Really, I think you are looking at 2 different pistols.  But if you must split hairs, I would go with a 5.5 inch barrel and no scope and get use to shooting accurately with the iron sights.

I have a blued SBH 44 Mag with hogue grips for sale with 7.5" barrel. Gun is very accurate. I also have SS SBH 44 Mag with 7.5" barrel with a fiber optic front sight, this one I'm keeping. I don't like a scoped handgun myself, just iron sights.

I reload, so I use a Hornady XTP 180g bullet behind 21.6g of Accurate #9, which gives muzzle velocity of 1425fps and calulated energy of 811 ft-lbs. Trajectory is about .3" high at 25yds, 2" high at 50 yds and zero at 100 yds. Good luck with your choice.

Edited by lshel

I have a blued SBH 44 Mag with hogue grips for sale with 7.5" barrel. Gun is very accurate. I also have SS SBH 44 Mag with 7.5" barrel with a fiber optic front sight, this one I'm keeping. I don't like a scoped handgun myself, just iron sights.

I reload, so I use a Hornady XTP 180g bullet behind 21.6g of Accurate #9, which gives muzzle velocity of 1425fps and calulated energy of 811 ft-lbs. Trajectory is about .3" high at 25yds, 2" high at 50 yds and zero at 100 yds. Good luck with your choice.

I saw that but I'm also looking for a SS that I can scope, more for confidence if I take a shot hunting.
I'll check that website out rockman6.

Back before we could hunt with center fire rifles in Weakley county we could hunt with pistols, so I bought  a sbh in 44 mag 7.5 in barrel. Used it when I would walk and stalk deer, open sights, have shot them from 15 ft to 75 yrds with it. Shot at five bucks and killed four with it. Easy to carry in my right hand. If was on the ground in hog country this is what I would use. Wouldn't be afraid to hunt anything on North America contient with it. This is my experience with it. The one I missed was one of the closets shots I took with it.

Edited by owejia
Guest lilfishbigpond
I was looking for a SBH for deer hunting and ended up buying a Super Redhawk instead since I found it first. Since I had very limited experience with a pistol thought not having a safety on the SRH would be a downside but in practice have had 0 issues or potential issues with no safety. It's fun at the range to have the ability to shoot without cocking the hammer first, though it kills my accuracy and I use like a single shot while hunting. Mine is 9" barrel and scoped and I love hunting deer with it. Wouldn't hesitate to hunt any big game out to 50 yards with it. The pistol is accurate further but I'm not... :-)