1911 low down

none

I am starting to learn that buying these new calibers/guns is going to be fun! I can't tell ya how much that I've learned from interacting with y'all.

I sincerely hope you've learned patience and fiscal responsibility...those two things are severely in short supply around here.

Especially for me. Edited by hipower
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Doubletap2
I have always loved1911s. Always owned them. When I was with the PD back in the day had to carry what they issued. Now I'm back to 1911 only. Very satisfied with my Kimber .45 Ultra Carry ii. Also very pleased with my lil 380 Sig 238. Now with that said, I traded my Sig 9mm 938 for a new Colt Defender 9mm 3" lightweight. So far Im pleased. With only a 100 rounds through it I can tell as with most it needs breaking in. Had 2 stove pipes within the 100 rounds.... thats 2 too many! But its new...

I think the trigger reset is less than what I expected from Colt, but thats just me. Been looking around at reviews on the defender, mostly good. I hope at the end of 500 rounds or so I can give the same positive review. I wont carry it until its broken in. Hopefully it will function as well as my Kimber and other Colt 1911s I've owned in the past. If anyone's had any extractor, or ejector problems I'd like to hear about it. Thanks

There is no "right" answer to "what 1911 should I get".  Set a budget and stick with it.  If you've never owned one....get a Rock Island, take the $200 you saved, buy a bunch of ammo and shoot the hell out of it.  If you like it and want something prettier, because that's all the extra money will get you, then save your money and move on up.

That is exactly what I did a few weeks ago. I got a Rock Island Armory and it runs like a well oiled machine. Plus I got a bunch of money left over for ammo ! 

Here read this , it's my thread I made about it and a picture of it. Plus it's a 70-series with no safety crap inside . 

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/84996-got-a-all-metal-gun-that-ill-keep/

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

I dunno why there is so much bad news about Para's .. I got a GI Expert in stainless for a swap  and $ boot @ a local pawn shop a few years ago .. I have had zero problems w/ it & will cordially allow any TGO member to meet me @ Gunnie's

on Knoxville/Maryville Pike on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to convince me I should have kept the alloy framed P1 I swapped for it. PM me so we can make arrangements. 

• Like 1

I dunno why there is so much bad news about Para's .. I got a GI Expert in stainless for a swap  and $ boot @ a local pawn shop a few years ago .. I have had zero problems w/ it & will cordially allow any TGO member to meet me @ Gunnie's

on Knoxville/Maryville Pike on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to convince me I should have kept the alloy framed P1 I swapped for it. PM me so we can make arrangements. 

they have made enough guns with enough problems to earn the rep.  Yours and mine work.  Ive seen others that can't go thru a mag without problems, and a couple that work 90% or so then jam now and then, etc.   Mine works after new mags -- the ones that came with it were causing nonstop jams.  My extractor broke first thing, but they got me another mailed in 2 or 3 days.    Its a crapshoot if you buy a random used para, or if you do a little research, some years of production were better than others, they had a bad couple of years a while back, seems to be straightened out now (?). 

Guest tangojuliet

so you bought a rock well if you're like any 1911 owner out there you're gonna look at  and say the sights are alright but i want night sights  then you're gonna be like i like the grip safety but i want a beaver tail but because you want a beaver you are gonna have to change out the hammer .. its a disease i tell you a disease !!!

I think Para's issues have mainly been with their doublestacks...singlestacks seem to enjoy a better reputation.  They were bought up by Remington a couple of years ago and are currently in the process of moving from Charlotte to the new monster Remington plant in Hunstville, AL.  Speculation is rampant about whether their product line will survive, be folded under the Remington name or anything in between.

I'm anxious to see what the OP ended up getting after a month of chewing on the info... The DW fits all the criteria set but the new Springfields have some nice lines.  Still believe if a fella is patient a score on a used Baer Premiere II is the best deal out there.  Last year I found several for 1500. I think this year LB bumped their prices a lot tho.  So much for a best value on high enders.

Took two seconds to search GunJoker and found this right here in TN!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465732817

Edited by SmokyBaer

so you bought a rock well if you're like any 1911 owner out there you're gonna look at  and say the sights are alright but i want night sights  then you're gonna be like i like the grip safety but i want a beaver tail but because you want a beaver you are gonna have to change out the hammer .. its a disease i tell you a disease !!!

I'm one of the few that like them plain and simple. No long beaver tails , no extended safety levers , no full length guide rods. Just plain jane. I just took the wood off and put on some military surplus black plastic grips.

[quote name="SmokyBaer" post="1235994" timestamp="1422493035"]I'm anxious to see what the OP ended up getting after a month of chewing on the info... The DW fits all the criteria set but the new Springfields have some nice lines.  Still believe if a fella is patient a score on a used Baer Premiere II is the best deal out there.  Last year I found several for 1500. I think this year LB bumped their prices a lot tho.  So much for a best value on high ender

Still chewing lol. However I have had several trips to the range with the professional very well balanced seems to perform as advertised. But for personal carry I prefer the commander length on government size frame. The officer size just does not fit my hands. So no decisions made yet.

I have narrowed it down to three.

Dan Wesson guardian. Has everything I want but pricey.

Stir Ranger II. Discontinued but still available. Contender but about $1275 and would want to change out front sight which puts it. at. more than the Dan Wesson.

Ruger Night Watchman well balanced has nitride finish night sights alreadt there. Grips would need to be changed out not a big deal not too costly Ruger sells the exact ones I like. Seems to be a good value for the money. But I wonder about the durability of the finish on the stainless.

So realistically its between Ruger and Dan Wesson.

Purely personal recommendation from me...I prefer the Ruger.

Yup Ruger won. Ended up getting the lightweight yesterday. Very impressed with it. Fit finish is excellent. For a production gun its all that. Very smooth out of the box it hitting at point of aim. Cleaned it before use no surprises. Accuracy was spot on. Issued ammo fed with out a single hicup. Sent about 250 rounds downrange seems to be very reliable recoil very manageable. Very nice good value for the money only change that will be done is the sight swap. Factory ones are nice just my personal preference. Is for night sights.

I used to have a an all original '68 IH Scout. It worked, rode rough, horrible gas mileage, high maintenance.  Reminds me of a 1911 compared to newer designs. 

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :bowrofl:  :bowrofl:  :bowrofl:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I love that!!!!!!!  Awesome [and accurate] analogy.  

• Like 1