1911 low down

none

You failed to mention budget, which leaves the field wide open.

You say you want best bang for the buck, and to me, there is only one answer...... Dan Wesson.

I have been carrying a 1911 for many years, and have gone through numerous brands. For quite some time, that brand was Kimber. Problem is that my Kimber was one of the first Ultra CDP produced, and while I still have and still love my Kimber, I would not take a current model if you gave me one.

I currently own Wilson's and DW, Springfield also. When I say that Dan Wesson absolutely destroys any other mid range 1911 produced today, I truly believe that. There is a night and day difference between DW vs Colt, Ruger, S&W, etc. DW is also made in the USA

You say you don't want a Springfield, but it is a fine weapon and made in the USA.

Comes down to two choices at different price points in my opinion......... Low end is easily Springfield (Range Officer) and mid range is Dan Wesson.

Budget is about $750 to $1500. Here is my beef against buying a Springfield I want a US made 1911 and having lived near the Peoples Republic of Chicago I really do not want to support that state by virtue of giving them one dime in revenue. As I narrow it down I have really decided the wish list should include 4 inch barrel night sights and I must say if I could look at it from the stand point of supporting a hard working member of society I would really look into one of the TRP or Range officer Compact. Realistically what difference will a inch of barrel length make? I am over 6ft and about 180 lbs

Thoughts Edited by wcd

The Ruger CMD has a 4-1/4" barrel and is available for about $700.  The differences in barrel length of the commander and full length 1911 are not small for practical purposes.  I prefer to carry the shorter barrel but a good belt and holster are necessary with either model.

With your budget, a Dan Wesson would be an excellent choice.  Their internals are all milled steel.  I was giving them serious thought, but I prefer a blue 1911.  I picked up my Colt from Guns and Leather for under $1K OTD.  I have been reading the 1911 forums for a couple of years.  I really do like the TRP too.

Guest mechanically

I am no 1911 expert. I'm decidedly a DA/SA guy for my carry and range guns. 

That said, any Dan Wesson gives me a bad case of the wants. I REALLY want one.

I've handled several, and shot one. Nothing bad to say. The owner who permitted me to shoot his Dan Wesson said he'd given up carrying a Wilson Combat and a Nighthawk for it. And he's been carrying a 1911 for over 40 years. I trust that a lot. 

Budget is about $750 to $1500. Here is my beef against buying a Springfield I want a US made 1911 and having lived near the Peoples Republic of Chicago I really do not want to support that state by virtue of giving them one dime in revenue. As I narrow it down I have really decided the wish list should include 4 inch barrel night sights and I must say if I could look at it from the stand point of supporting a hard working member of society I would really look into one of the TRP or Range officer Compact. Realistically what difference will a inch of barrel length make? I am over 6ft and about 180 lbs

Thoughts

OK, so taking away Springfield, taking your budget, your want of a Commander size 1911, and made in the USA, the choice very easily goes to Dan Wesson. Either CCO which is a 4.25" barrel and an officer size frame (I have one and it is a superb carry weapon) or a Guardian, which is the 4.25" barrel on a full size frame with a bobtail cut for carrying.

The basic difference is does your hand fit a full size or officer size grip better?

DW uses no MIM parts (all other brands you mentioned do) and all parts are built on site. All the other brands also use foreign parts.

DW customer service is absolutely spot on too. Heck, the companies VP hangs out on the 1911 forums and is truly out to please his customers. I had sent Keith a PM with a question I had. I instantly got a PM back asking for my phone number, and as soon as I sent it, my phone rang and we had a lengthy conversation. Ya' think Colt or Ruger's VP would do that?

Finally, as there seems to always be someone who say's "brand A is better built than DW" , ask them if they have ever compared both side by side, and fired both, side by side. There is no one here or on any forum that can tell me they are the same or brand A is better, as the facts simply don't support it.

Didn't look to see where you are located, but if you are in SW TN, you are more than welcome to handle and shoot my DW.

eta: forgot to address your question of will the 4.25 vs 5" barrel be an issue. Absolutely will NOT in a self defense situation. Out to 25 yards, you likely will notice zero difference. Personally, I shoot a commander sized  1911 way better than a full size as I have thousands of rounds downrange using that platform.

Edited by jh225

Thoughts

for the 45 acp, 1 inch of barrel means about ... well, read yourself:  http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html

it is insignificant IMHO for the large guns.  The shorter the barrel, though, the MORE one inch matters; its exponential not linear.  The diff in a 1 inch vs 2 is significant.  The difference in 5 vs 6 is small.  10 vs 11 is near zero...

your height and weight matter not.   Your hand size matters, and finger length ... they are large guns with a large grip and super small hands can struggle with them.  Average is fine.  Your strength matters... its a heavy platform to hold up for extended periods of slow-fire aimed shots, and extra challenging one-handed competition style.  The recoil is low for the amount of momentum/physics produced.  Its slower than the jerk of a 9mm, and the heavy gun inertia soaks some of it, so the net result is a mild push over a longer period of time, making it feel fairly gentle.   It still has recoil, mind you, but on a scale of .22 to 500 mag, its in the lower 25%.

for the 45 acp, 1 inch of barrel means about ... well, read yourself:  http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html
it is insignificant IMHO for the large guns.  The shorter the barrel, though, the MORE one inch matters; its exponential not linear.  The diff in a 1 inch vs 2 is significant.  The difference in 5 vs 6 is small.  10 vs 11 is near zero...

your height and weight matter not.   Your hand size matters, and finger length ... they are large guns with a large grip and super small hands can struggle with them.  Average is fine.  Your strength matters... its a heavy platform to hold up for extended periods of slow-fire aimed shots, and extra challenging one-handed competition style.  The recoil is low for the amount of momentum/physics produced.  Its slower than the jerk of a 9mm, and the heavy gun inertia soaks some of it, so the net result is a mild push over a longer period of time, making it feel fairly gentle.   It still has recoil, mind you, but on a scale of .22 to 500 mag, its in the lower 25%.

Thanks I don't have small hands and a 92G fits just fine. The 1911 fits very well for me. The weight is a non issue for me I have never had occasion to discharge more than 4 rounds so I don't see capacity or weight being an issue. The main imperative is that i need to have complete confidence in it right out of the box.

Thanks

I bought the Ruger. Why? I guess familiarity of the name, and knowing that if anything happened that they'd make it right. Did I need one? No... but there was something about it that told me that I did. First, it's an American original. You gotta love John Browning. Secondly, the .45acp ball was made specially to be fired from this gun, which is all that it will ever see. I didn't buy mine to be a carry gun, a range toy, competition gun, nor a show piece. I bought a 1911 mere because of it being an American thing. (Plus I LOVE the .45acp round) When I want to carry a .45, I carry one of my Glocks! Ie

Guess my point here is... I wasn't going to pay a premium to say that I own a 1911. I wanted something affordable and reliable. So far, the Ruger hasn't let me down. It plays as nicely as anything else I own when I take it to the range... and was priced just right.

Ok so at this point it looks like it is going to be narrowed down to the TRP or the Operator. Right now I am leaning towards the operator.

Thoughts

Which operator? The champion with alloy frame or the MC operator? Either way, the TRP is the better gun. I've had an MC and sold it for a profit to fund a Dan Wesson Valor, zero regrets there. The front strap checkering on the TRP is well worth the cost difference over the MC. Only question really is do you need to mount a light or not?

Which operator? The champion with alloy frame or the MC operator? Either way, the TRP is the better gun. I've had an MC and sold it for a profit to fund a Dan Wesson Valor, zero regrets there. The front strap checkering on the TRP is well worth the cost difference over the MC. Only question really is do you need to mount a light or not?

MC operator. No the light is not a requirement. Edited by wcd

Ok so at this point it looks like it is going to be narrowed down to the TRP or the Operator. Right now I am leaning towards the operator.

Thoughts

Wait. You specifically said you won't buy a Springfield, yet you are buying a Springfield. Did I miss something?

Wait. You specifically said you won't buy a Springfield, yet you are buying a Springfield. Did I miss something?

Trying to look at it from a different perspective of supporting someone who works hard for a living versus looking at it as providing tax revenue to the state of IL. I had not ruled them out but it was not initially my first choice. But based on several factors it looks like its going to be the best choice. Based on research both on line and conversations with co-workers it appears their customer service is first rate. I don't think I am caving my principles but rather being open minded to the fact that sometimes you have to look at things as a whole and make your decision on a combination of things.

I buy from Walmart, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Apple, Best Buy, and on and on, so you see who I support financially!  :(

Heck for that matter, my 401K mutual funds support many biz that I don't approve directly :(

Interstate commerce its a bummer, I wished all things I want was made locally in my town :screwy:

PS facetious alert!

Facetious alert? Would that be purple then? (One of the other boards I check in on every once in a while puts every thing meant to be sarcastic in purple font)

Besides if I indirectly contribute to their tax base they will waste the small amount so fast it would not matter.

From what I am hearing the Professionals are very nice. Still think I want as close as I can get to it for off hours so I leaning hard towards the operator
I am wanting a 1911 as well. Honestly, im not sure what has taken me so long to start wanting one. Ive shot them, love em! I came close to buying a Para last week as a Christmas present to me. It was the expert in OD green. It included a $100 rebate. Wich would have put the gun in the $450 range. Being my first one I decided not to purchase until I researched them more. But I have subd this thread to look at all the options y'all are throwing out there. Edited by TacoBubba

I am wanting a 1911 as well. Honestly, im not sure what has taken me so long to start wanting one. Ive shot them, love em! I came close to buying a Para last week as a Christmas present to me. It was the expert in OD green. It included a $100 rebate. Wich would have put the gun in the $450 range. Being my first one I decided not to purchase until I researched them more. But I have subd this thread to look at all the options y'all are throwing out there.

Good luck on that I am having to make the switch because of work. I never figured it would be this involved to decide on the right one. At least I am learning quite a bit. Coworkers have indicated they have had zero issues with some of the Springfield 4 inch models. Which has really made me take a look at the Range officer as well just not real keen on the front sight on it would really prefer night sights but I guess that an easy fix.

Good luck on that I am having to make the switch because of work. I never figured it would be this involved to decide on the right one. At least I am learning quite a bit. Coworkers have indicated they have had zero issues with some of the Springfield 4 inch models. Which has really made me take a look at the Range officer as well just not real keen on the front sight on it would really prefer night sights but I guess that an easy fix.

Honestly im open to anything. Just as long as it goes bang. For me, it would also be an investment in a new caliber. No biggie as far as that goes. Hopefully this thread will continue.

There is no "right" answer to "what 1911 should I get".  Set a budget and stick with it.  If you've never owned one....get a Rock Island, take the $200 you saved, buy a bunch of ammo and shoot the hell out of it.  If you like it and want something prettier, because that's all the extra money will get you, then save your money and move on up.

• Like 3

There is no "right" answer to "what 1911 should I get". Set a budget and stick with it. If you've never owned one....get a Rock Island, take the $200 you saved, buy a bunch of ammo and shoot the hell out of it. If you like it and want something prettier, because that's all the extra money will get you, then save your money and move on up.

I like your way of thinking[emoji106]