***UPDATE*** Decided to build. .Ak guy entering the AR world looking for buy once cry once advise

turkeydad

Hello fellow TGO folks. . after messing with Ak's almost exclusively i am making plans to enter the AR world. . .looking for advise on a  dependable bang for your buck AR  from the experts on here. . I remember reading once an article about the smith and wesson mp sport I believe it was Dolomite that made it sound like a no brainer and was thinking about one of those but I understand they arent the same anymore (care to chime in Dolomite). . also I'm considering the spikes tactical mid length offering that Aim has for $799 and I'm also considering waiting a little longer and getting the Colt LE 6940 any ups or downs with these ideas or alternative notions would be graciously welcomed. . . thanks

Edited by turkeydad

I think the S&W M&P Sport is shipping without the 5R barrels but they are still a good bargain and a very good first AR (first because if you are like most, it won't be your last).

The more you research and ask about brands, the more opinions you'll get.  

• Like 1

You might not wanna go back to AKs after messing with ar's. Sure ak's are AWESOME, but being able to drop a new upper and fire .50 in a few seconds is something an AK just cant do..... And you can make ar's bad ass. Or ugly. or BOTH!!!

The difference with the M&P Sport then and now is that they no longer ship with the 5R barrel. That barrel is what made it such a steal. It's still a great entry point though and comes with the S&W lifetime warranty. I've seen them lately for as low as $514 shipped (plus TICS and Transfer).

The Sport does not have a forward assist or an ejection port dust cover. All other M&P-15 models do. Unless you plan to roll around in the dirt, you will never need a dust cover. The FA is likewise useless for most people. If a round doesn't seat properly when the bolt closes, do you really want to force it in there or would you rather eject that round and check to see what went wrong?

If you go for a Sport, make sure you get model# 811036. There are also 2 Commifornia and Friends compliant Sports that comes with either the bullet button or a fixed stock. What you're getting is not always clear in online listings, so check the model #. Models 811037 and 811038 are the ones you DON'T want.

I have an M&P-15 (not the Sport) and love it. One of the things I like about the M&P-15 line is that their uppers and lowers are both coated and match each other very well. It looks like a nice melonite coating. I just built a PSA lower yesterday and it has a much flatter finish that I don't like. S&W says it's a hard coat black anodized finish on theirs, but the PSA lowers said the same thing. I know my M&P-15 looks a LOT better than the PSA one. The PSA lower will be getting cerakoted once I pick out an upper. I should have done it prior to assembly, but I didn't realize just how different it looks until I finished it and put it next to my M&P.

The biggest downside to the M&P line is that you'll get the standard integrated front-sight-post/gas-block on all but the most expensive models. That means you can't put handguards on that extend over the gas block, limiting what you can do with the look of it unless you want to change out the gas block. If you like the front sight post, that becomes a non-issue.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
Colt 6920. Going for about $850, tough to beat if buying a factory built gun. The pony on the side counts for a lot more down the road if you ever have/want to sell it. Doesn't hurt that it is a quality rifle either. You can easily change it to what you need/want as money allows.

I have an older M&P sport with the 1/8" twist 5r barrel, it's a good gun but I'd pick my basic colt 6920 over it any day.
  • Like 1

Gather the parts you desire and build your own to your specifications.

You'll end up with what you want and an education of how the rifle functions.

Seeing as how I just finished my first build, I would have to 2nd that comment...
  • Like 1

You might not wanna go back to AKs after messing with ar's. Sure ak's are AWESOME, but being able to drop a new upper and fire .50 in a few seconds is something an AK just cant do..... And you can make ar's bad ass. Or ugly. or BOTH!!!

Because it doesn't need to ;)

My 15yr old sons go to gun is a LE6940, I use LE6943/45 uppers on my M16, they are awesome guns.
I'd suggest buying a LE901 its a 308 as it sits but with a magwell adapter you can add 556 uppers, the major plus for this gun is if your a NFA guy and you SBR it, its a muliti caliber/ low shelf lower, nothing like shooting a SBR in 7.62mm and 556..lol

LE901, I have one, mine is used as a medium range semi precision rifle, it can be converted back in seconds to a battle rifle.
http://www.slickguns.com/product/colt-m4-carbine-308-le-901-16in-matte-black-20rd-rifle-216999-free-shipping
or
LE901 MARC for a little less, just released.
http://www.slickguns.com/product/new-colt-le901-16se-car-308-161-20r-mt-186200-shipped
or
AR901,lot less, just released.
http://www.slickguns.com/product/new-colt-ar901-16s-car-308-161-20r-mt-139200-shipped Edited by Johnny Rotten

I'm thinking that Colt CSR-1516 at CDNN may be my winner. . .

NO! That is not a colt. It is made by a 3rd party and sold under permission of colt. By no means is it a "deal". Low quality barrel and substandard parts. Steer clear...

NO! That is not a colt. It is made by a 3rd party and sold under permission of colt. By no means is it a "deal". Low quality barrel and substandard parts. Steer clear...

Not sure how you get all that. The parts are sourced from Colt and made under license from Colt. It is essentially the Colt version of the M&P Sport. I've read nothing negative about them as guns. Only negative seems to be the Colt purist who have no experience with it.

I knew it was assembled by bold idea. . . and I knew it was the bottom tier of Colts . . .I like the idea of the 1 in 8 twist barrel. . .but I really do want Mil-spec parts. . .and with no way of knowing whats in that 1516  I believe the Spikes Tactical Mid length ST-15 has got my name on it

IMHO go to some shops look at what they got find what you like the best make a list and start shopping around bild what you want and like then when you get tired of that do it all over again if you are looking for a mil spec m4 psa has a complete kit minus the lower receiver for $449.99 plus shipping could bild one for less than $550

Not sure how you get all that. The parts are sourced from Colt and made under license from Colt. It is essentially the Colt version of the M&P Sport. I've read nothing negative about them as guns. Only negative seems to be the Colt purist who have no experience with it.

Very simply put, it's not a Colt. 4140 barrel, unknown make-up of internals. Those are the negatives. No experience personally because I'd never buy one. I'm far from a colt purist, I have one Colt and one S&W, I've built all the rest.
  • 1 month later...

Bought a MOE complete lower from PSA. . its a blem but for $169.99. . I can live with the blemish at that price. . .now to talk about uppers is a free floating set up that more accurate?

Simple answer, yes. Also adds a solid rest without affecting the barrel, which comes in very handy for shooting from cover, barriers, etc...
Apply that to hunting or personal defense/offense. And you have repeatable results. PSA does have a couple good deals on their CHF(cold hammer forged) railed free float uppers.
yeah I saw that mess...I'm thinking the mid length with 15" midwest industries slim rail and the 416r stainless 16" barrel currently for $399 is what I'm leaning towards or the chf barreled one at $449...but I think I really want mid length and that one is carbine length... Edited by turkeydad