Another Ammo Crisis Looms!

Not to start any kind of panic buying or hoarding, but has anyone noticed the shortage of .25 acp? I scrounged for weeks finding the parts to put an old 1950's Bernadelli VP back into shooting shape, just to find there is nothing to shoot in the wee darlin'!  I can't believe we've shot up the entire inventory of .25 auto, so if anyone in the mid-Tn./Cumberland Plateau area sees any, I would be obliged to hear of it.

I think a lot of places just don't carry it anymore. Your best bet will be large gun stores or online at places like AIM Surplus or CTD.

AIM gets it in fairly regularly, but you better buy it quick because their price is much lower than most places that they sell out pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of places just don't carry it anymore. Your best bet will be large gun stores or online at places like AIM Surplus or CTD.

AIM gets it in fairly regularly, but you better buy it quick because their price is much lower than most places that they sell out pretty quickly.

I'm on everybodies notify list, so if they get it, I'm on it.  As for their pricing; shipping eats up any potential savings. Midway's got some Hornady self defense hollow-point super tactical FBI loads for about a buck and a quarter a pop.  I'll just keep poking around, some's bound to turn up.

Shipping is costly, but you have to buy enough ammo at one time to minimize the shipping impact. I usually buy a few boxes of several things I don't need at the moment but that I know I will use in the long run.

• Like 1

Shipping is costly, but you have to buy enough ammo at one time to minimize the shipping impact. I usually buy a few boxes of several things I don't need at the moment but that I know I will use in the long run.

That's my plan. But I found that the biggest savings were to be had in the case lots, at least on the calibers I shoot. But that's mostly in range ammo, not in the SD styles.

Lately though, I only gotten a few bulk buys, the "slight" increases in ammo prices have taken their toll. My old favorite, Ammoman, has gotten so high that I've just given up on them.

SG, FreedomMunitions(for reman range use), and several others have been the lowest cost, even with shipping.

I generally shoot off 25ACP cartridges on July 4th, as they're safer than sparklers and less lethal than firecrackers. :taunt:

Just kidding... and perpetuating the 25ACP bad rap myth. I definitely wouldn't volunteer to take fire from one.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

FWIW,  the story I have gotten is that .25acp is one of those loads that ammo companies generally only run for a short time once or twice a year.  Supposedly, there aren't usually dedicated lines to run .25 so they have to switch another line over to run it.  Once that run of ammo is gone for the year it is pretty much gone.  I have noticed in at least some Walmart locations that the .25 spot on the shelf will suddenly fill up, stacked deep but as it dwindles away it is not replaced.

• Like 1

That's my plan. But I found that the biggest savings were to be had in the case lots, at least on the calibers I shoot. But that's mostly in range ammo, not in the SD styles.

Lately though, I only gotten a few bulk buys, the "slight" increases in ammo prices have taken their toll. My old favorite, Ammoman, has gotten so high that I've just given up on them.

SG, FreedomMunitions(for reman range use), and several others have been the lowest cost, even with shipping.

A bulk buy of .25 for me would be a 50 round box. That should see me to the end of my days, and leave a little for the kids to shoot.  I just need enough to function check this little rebuilt Bernadelli, and refill the magazine when I'm done. Some will show up, I'm supporting a .30-40 krag and a .300 savage, so keeping an eye out for ammo is second nature.

A bulk buy of .25 for me would be a 50 round box. That should see me to the end of my days, and leave a little for the kids to shoot. I just need enough to function check this little rebuilt Bernadelli, and refill the magazine when I'm done. Some will show up, I'm supporting a .30-40 krag and a .300 savage, so keeping an eye out for ammo is second nature.

Obviously, shipping will eat you up on that "bulk" order...if you didn't live on the other side of the state, I could help you out with a box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see .25&.32 at our local Nashville WalMarts quite often at a good price. Was seeing 100 pack of .380 all the time but that is hard to find again. I also found that some of

the WM'S have .22 in stock and keep it under counter and all you have to do is ask.

I cast and reload for the 2 little pistols I have.

I reload for 9mm, .38 spec., .44 mag, .22-250, .223. .45 acp, 7mm x 57, .300 sav., .308, .30-06,and even an 8mm-06, but I'm not ready to buy dies shell-holders brass bullets etc for my one lone orphan .25. Although 1 lb of bullseye and a pound of lead would go quite a ways.

I reload for 9mm, .38 spec., .44 mag, .22-250, .223. .45 acp, 7mm x 57, .300 sav., .308, .30-06,and even an 8mm-06, but I'm not ready to buy dies shell-holders brass bullets etc for my one lone orphan .25. Although 1 lb of bullseye and a pound of lead would go quite a ways.

The obvious solution is that you need a couple more .25s!  I only have one, myself, right now.  Mine is just a little Titan but I really like shooting it.  It is pretty much exactly like the very first handgun I ever owned (which was apparently 'lifted' from my mom's house at some point.)  For such little pistols, mine have proven both surprisingly accurate and reliable.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1