another trip to Nashville next month

vontar

As many of you know, I don't venture outside of East TN often with the exception of when my wife has a business trip for training which is normally Middle TN.

Well looks like I get to drive her again to Nashville.

Besides my usually run down time for expensive domestic beer, I believe I am going to take a Tour of the Capital. 

While I am at the capital, anything I should take special note to see?  I do plan to take the guided tour.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/about/capitolvisit.html

I am going to attempt to make some actual plans this time other then just wondering around Broadway, even though I really like going there even though it is expensive.

Not including an exact date yet, don't want them to close down the city before I show up.  :D

Edited by vontar

After the Capitol tour, go across the street to Legislative Plaza. The entrance to the TN State War Museum is in the SW corner. It's small, but well done and has some nice pieces including a few MoH medals. It's free, as is the TN State Museum in the same building as TPAC across 6th Ave from Legislative Plaza. On the SW corner of 6th and Union is The Hermitage Hotel. When you enter, take the stairs down to the right. Go down the hallway and hang a left to the men's room. It's the coolest men's room I've ever seen. Al Capone used to hide out in there when the feds came looking for him. There's an alcove behind the mirror to the left of the shoe shine stand. The mirror used to move, but they attached it permanently during the big remodel a few years ago.

You could go through the Arcade on your way down the hill to Broadway. Entrances are on 4th and 5th between Union and Church. The one on 5th is next to the Walgreen's. Not a whole lot in there these days, but the Peanut Shop is worth stopping at and getting a big bag of peanuts to take home. Their old fashioned candy is great too including malted milk balls the size of pool balls.

A backstage tour at the Ryman, maybe?

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

There's a POTUS buried on the Capital grounds,... and that's not something you see every day.  :)   The food in the Bi-Centennial Mall Shed building is fantastic... from BBQ to pizza to greek to SLOCO sandwich shop (owner/chef won "chopped").  You are also right beside Germantown.  There are good eats in Germantown (Monell's... family style... go hungry... and go easy on the first few courses!  .... Red Bycycle has great coffee and crepes).

• Like 1

As monkeylizard said, the State Museum in the basement of the James K. Polk building is free, and well worth seeing. You won't be too far from the Parthenon. It's worth seeing as well. I've not been in the war museum in a long while, but I remember it being interesting as well. I assume Fort Nashboro down by the river survived the flood? If so, you might wander down there and look around.

The Country Music Hall of Fame is awesome. I always love looking around and drooling at Gruhen Guitars. It's a business, but more like a museum or shrine if you like vintage guitars.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

u may wanna visit deja vu, Grumpy's bail bonds, law offices of bart durham, channel 5 studio, tn dept of small business enterprise development, or just hit broadway and bar shop! enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, Hell yeah it ate my spelling!!! again!!

And in exactly that order, with the slight revision of course. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Besides my usually run down time for expensive domestic beer, I believe I am going to take a Tour of the Capital. 

While I am at the capital, anything I should take special note to see?  I do plan to take the guided tour.

See if the guide is smart enough to show you the exact spot where they put "bracelets" on Ray Blanton. :eek:

And James K. Polk (& wife) are not the only folks buried there... be sure to ask about THIS story.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1
I would stay away from the peanut shop at the arcade. Pretty sure the milk balls and chocolate covered peanuts are injected with meth or some other highly addictive substance. That's really the only explanation I've come up with...

Mark
  • Like 2