NRA License Plate - new requirement?

So I got one of the very first NRA license plates for my truck, several years ago back when they were first available for issue. At the time I was on a waiting list of sponsors which was solicited by the NRA, and we were all eventually sent our registration forms in the mail once the plates were ready, so I just went to my local county clerk office to pay the fee and pick it up.

I have renewed it annually several times since then, and only had to pay the usual fee, and I got the new sticker as normal.

But then today I went to the same clerk to renew it, and this time the lady said that her system prompted her that "documentation was required" before I could renew the plate. When I inquired about what was needed, she asked a coworker to confirm, and they both said that I needed to produce an NRA membership card in order to renew the plate.

I don't usually carry my NRA membership card because I have the number memorized and they are never really used for anything, but I did have my NRA Instructor license on me, which I showed her. She proceeded to photocopy it and keep that page for their files, then I was allowed to renew my plate as before.

So my questions are:

Is this some new requirement by the NRA or TN state?

Has anyone else run into this?

What are they going to do with the copy of my NRA credentials?

What if I refused to show credentials, or was unable to at that time? Would I have been turned down for renewal or forced to revert back to a standard plate?

Probably a little due diligence on the States part.  When I applied for my military plates, I had to show proof I qualified, they took a copy and put it in their records.  I figure if you could/would not show proof they would issue you a standard plate.

That stinks. Do you have to show a teachers union card to get an "education" plate? Or a Liberal card to get a Friends of Radnor Lake? Drive a tractor in to get one of the Agriculture plates?

Bureaucratic hoopla. With overtones of "record keeping" of NRA guys.

• Like 1

Probably a little due diligence on the States part. When I applied for my military plates, I had to show proof I qualified, they took a copy and put it in their records. I figure if you could/would not show proof they would issue you a standard plate.

My understanding of vanity plates was that anyone could buy one, regardless of their affiliations, just to support the cause or organization which sponsored the plate. So the pro-life plates, wildlife plates, farming plates, etc never had any burden of proof.

This was reinforced when I was able to get and renew my NRA plate for multiple years without any "documentation required", thus I'm wondering why the change.

If there are restrictions which impose a burden of membership or proof, I would like to know if that's required by the NRA or the state, and even if this is the case I'd like to know why it was never enforced until now, and what they will do with my credentials on file...

That stinks. Do you have to show a teachers union card to get an "education" plate? Or a Liberal card to get a Friends of Radnor Lake? Drive a tractor in to get one of the Agriculture plates?

Bureaucratic hoopla. With overtones of "record keeping" of NRA guys.

Yes, this is what I am worried about.

In the same transaction, the clerk asked me for a phone number so they could place it on file with my registration, which I declined. Sounds to me like they are growing a database...

Yes, this is what I am worried about.

In the same transaction, the clerk asked me for a phone number so they could place it on file with my registration, which I declined. Sounds to me like they are growing a database...

Your Doctor called them and told them you said you don’t have any guns; so they were just double checking.
  • Like 3

You were always suppose to be a member of NRA to get that tag. Just like some of the other club/organization tags you show proof of membership. I would say if you were to refuse showing membership then they would just issue you the generic TN tag. It's no different if I were to get PBA or FOP tags I would have to show membership also. As far as the phone number there has been a box on your registration form for years for a phone number and it has come in handy several times when I found a vehicle and the listed owner isn't in the phone book. I wouldn't get too worked up I doubt your county clerk's office is looking at sending you to a detention camp.

Just found a state web page which states that SOME of the vanity plates for "clubs" do require membership:

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/vehicle/licenseplates/clubsorgs/clubsorgs.shtml

So I guess all these years they weren't doing their job to enforce it, but now they are for some strange reason. I am glad to be an NRA Lifetime Benefactor member, and happy to provide proof, but I don't like the state having my credentials or phone number in any database.

I will verify this with the NRA just to be sure. I did find it interesting that the funds don't go to the NRA, they go to local trap shoots. That's cool.

I have a Sons of Confederate Veterans tag and you are not required to be a member to get one. I have had to correct one of the workers when I went to get one for a second vehicle. Not sure of its different for other organizational tags or not. Would seem pretty dumb if so. The purpose is to raise money not identify members.

Just found a state web page which states that SOME of the vanity plates for "clubs" do require membership:

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/vehicle/licenseplates/clubsorgs/clubsorgs.shtml

So I guess all these years they weren't doing their job to enforce it, but now they are for some strange reason. I am glad to be an NRA Lifetime Benefactor member, and happy to provide proof, but I don't like the state having my credentials or phone number in any database.

I will verify this with the NRA just to be sure. I did find it interesting that the funds don't go to the NRA, they go to local trap shoots. That's cool.

Probably the NRA tags were listed as one of the fund raising type, when correctly listed it triggered the check.  The reason they probably keep records is for if/when they get audited they can show they have been checking and have not let one of their friends get one with no proof.  I don't see any nefarious reason why they asked for the info, you always have the option to get the regular plate.  With the government being able to hack any system (FBI/NSA) I am sure they can get a list from the NRA directly or just have the post office record every address the NRA sends mail to.

Probably a little due diligence on the States part.  When I applied for my military plates, I had to show proof I qualified, they took a copy and put it in their records.  I figure if you could/would not show proof they would issue you a standard plate.

Same here. When I applied for my military plate, I had to show my DD214. Made a copy, paid, and away I went.

I would think the NRA would not want folks wearing the plate unless they were a member. Whose idea it was, I have no idea.