Single Action 9mm

zybysco

Why don't you go over to the Browning Hi Power section of the 1911 Forums and ask about prices. They deal with Hi Powers and all their variations every day and can help a lot.  http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 Look up a guy named Burgs.

You'll also get some expert information in the Hi Power forum of http://www.handgunsandammunition.com/hi-power-forum/  This is Stephen A. Camp's old site and there are some really experienced Hi Power guys over there, including some former military BHP armorers.

One bit of advice I would give is since this is your first BHP, stay away from any surplus guns and go with a LNIB used one or a new one unless you know someone who can help you work on them.. GunBroker is literally loaded with them. They are not cheap but they are one of the all time classic pistols. You'll never lose a dime on one and the pride in ownership is hard to beat.

EssOne

Edited by EssOne

About 12-13 years ago, when there was that initial influx of Israeli FN HiPowers, I bought one pretty cheap.

Typical cop gun...looked like hell, but the internals were great (carried a lot / shot little).

Anyway, I sent it to Jim Garthwaite ( www.garthwaite.com ) for a trigger job w/ mag safety disable, "commander hammer," extended thumb safety, refinish, and new sight install.

What returned was a different gun.  It was beautiful.

I was a dumbass for selling it...

Aim Surplus has been getting in a number recently, actually still have some last I checked.

Aim Surplus has been getting in a number recently, actually still have some last I checked.

Yep, I saw that.  In fact, I think that's where I bought mine all those years ago.

Some might look rough, but mine functioned 100% right "out of the box" (with all sorts of crap I put through it). 

EDIT:  Looks like they're already out of them.

Edited by TN-popo

Thread drift and why I'll always have an affinity for the HiPower...

Starting when I was about 15, I kept my dad's Browning HiPower loaded (cocked and locked) under my bed.  My dad was aware of this and trusted me not to be an idiot (at least when it came to guns...girls were a different matter).

In that same bedroom, I had one of those glass-faced gun cabinets with my hunting shotguns and rifles, with ammo, since I was about 12.

Different times.  Can you imagine that today and what the media / LE would say?  Especially post-Columbine?

Before that, when I was a little boy, my dad had a rule.  I could touch / play with any of his guns, anytime, as long as I asked him first.

I never violated that rule.  I violated a lot of other rules, but the gun-thing / gun trust was important to me.  It was like a window to adulthood not to be messed with.

My dad has been dead for almost two years now, and we didn't always get along later in life, but he was a Vietnam Infantry Vet (regular infantry...not SF or ninja type) who instilled a lot of good things in me.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1
That's awesome. Yea, I wish there was that much common sense around these days. :/

My parents were not gun people (not anti, just didn't have them.) but we had BB guns and I was in the backyard shooting lizards and soda cans almost every day from 10-16yrs old. Dad got a big "STOP" sign out of a junk pile somewhere and hung it on the back fence of our property. I'd sit on the back porch and shoot it... needed quite a lot of holdover to hit it!

Since I've become a gun nut my parents now strongly believe in gun rights, whereas before they were kind of indifferent. My Dad got his M&P40 before I did! Hahaha!

...but we had BB guns and I was in the backyard shooting lizards and soda cans almost every day from 10-16yrs old. Dad got a big "STOP" sign out of a junk pile somewhere and hung it on the back fence of our property. I'd sit on the back porch and shoot it... needed quite a lot of holdover to hit it!

It's this kind of stuff that produces very good marksmen (which, I can attest, you are).

You can go to all the classes (hell, I teach them), but there is something about spending days in a field or backyard "plinking."

Anyway, sorry for the drift.  Back to 9mm S/As!

Edited by TN-popo

Yep, I saw that.  In fact, I think that's where I bought mine.

Some might look rough, but mine functioned 100% right "out of the box" (with all sorts of crap I put through it). 

I picked up one from AIM a couple of months ago, just for the purpose of having in customized by Novak.  They have some more in now, and I am thinking of picking up another one for a minor rework to keep it more of a stock pistol.  I had a BHP back in the 90s, it was the factory hard chrome version.  Great pistol, and I loved shooting it.  Like a dumbass, I traded it away, and have regretted that ever since.

• Like 1

I don't have a measured way to answer this, so... uh... here ya go.
Witness Elite Match 10MM Trigger Pull and Reset: http://youtu.be/zfxnHxdkbFQ

Also, it's nice to see how bad I am at keeping my trigger finger tight and close on the reset, I let the trigger move way too far forward than it needed to be. Also, I'm sorry I didn't take more time on showing the takeup. Anyways, I hope that helps answer your question! :-)

I've shot this gun.

Also, I admit, I'm kinda OCD about trigger reset.  To some folks it's not a big deal.  To me, it's a big deal (and one of the only negatives against the HiPower).

Anyway, this pistol has a wonderful "out-of-the-box" trigger and reset that is much better than the HiPower.

Edited by TN-popo
  • 3 weeks later...
This came home with me today from the gun show. It is the DA/SA with a safety. The SA isn't nearly as good as the Match Elite but it isn't bad. I've heard there are a few things one can do to make it better.

Well, I know I'm late to the party on this one... but I am fairly amazed at the CANIK TP9sa. Grip feels similar to a CZ, Commander size, 18+1, excellent sight picture... and at $349 (Academy), it's an extremely impressive product. Worth a look.

I would consider it if it had aftermarket support and a positive track record. I haven't got to pull the trigger on one though. I may consider looking at one when they get rid of that weird decocking device.

I would consider it if it had aftermarket support and a positive track record. I haven't got to pull the trigger on one though. I may consider looking at one when they get rid of that weird decocking device.

The "weird decocking device" is a total non-issue. It's not gonna be engaged accidentally, and for idiots that don't check their chamber before field stripping, it's a much better option than pulling a trigger. And we all know such idiots exist.

The "weird decocking device" is a total non-issue. It's not gonna be engaged accidentally, and for idiots that don't check their chamber before field stripping, it's a much better option than pulling a trigger. And we all know such idiots exist.

I did hear it would most likely never be depressed accidentally. However, I do view it as one more thing that could fail. Unless, by its design, it could be guaranteed not to fail in such a way to prevent firing. I doubt that though. When they remove it, then it will be even cheaper.

Check out http://cajungunworks.com/  .  I have a 75b converted to SA only filled with this guys stuff. I own a couple 1911's one Kimber and one Remington and this CZ shoots and feels on par with any hi quality 1911's. 

Here is a video of after install. Only other thing I added were a set of VZ frag Grips.

https://youtu.be/nTinfkvoYJo

Edited by plinker4life

What sort of "aftermarket support?" They are a Century Arms product. Are there issues with their support that I don't know about?

"Pull the trigger." Man, you need to try it. Closest thing I've felt is a PPQ. It is EXCELLENT. Accuracy is superb; it outshoots the Glocks I don't own any more. It's one of the most accurate 9mm's I've ever shot. It's really balanced well, too. For me, it's a natural pointer.

Check out http://cajungunworks.com/ . I have a 75b converted to SA only filled with this guys stuff. I own a couple 1911's one Kimber and one Remington and this CZ shoots and feels on par with any hi quality 1911's.

Here is a video of after install. Only other thing I added were a set of VZ frag Grips.

https://youtu.be/nTinfkvoYJo

Is that your video? I just really want to remove most of the pretravel on the SA. My eaa match trigger might be better than that one in the video with a fpb as far as reset goes. That one could be lighter though. I may invest in some Cajun gun works stuff. They have very positive reviews. Edited by zybysco

What sort of "aftermarket support?" They are a Century Arms product. Are there issues with their support that I don't know about?

They've had issues in the past. Parts aren't readily available as most manufacturers. What parts are likely to break on it? I would hate to buy a gun that had Caracel issues.

"Pull the trigger." Man, you need to try it. Closest thing I've felt is a PPQ. It is EXCELLENT. Accuracy is superb; it outshoots the Glocks I don't own any more. It's one of the most accurate 9mm's I've ever shot. It's really balanced well, too. For me, it's a natural pointer.

All your Glocks are gone now? I remember you being a big fan. I know you are a huge PPQ fan now. I wish I could pull the trigger on one. I only know of Academy carrying them and no dry firing allowed there.