Single Action 9mm

zybysco

I just bought two of the Israeli trade-ins.  Here is my experience.

The first one was $400.   It's and FNH Browning Hi Power.  This one will need some work for me to really enjoy it.  It has the little military sights which I can't see.  The trigger will need work to be enjoyable.  The magazine release really hampers the trigger, though in this litigious society, I don't want to disable it.  I'll say one thing though, nothing feels as good in my hand as a Browning Hi Power.

I'm hoping the gunsmith charges for polishing and installing sights will be reasonable.   The gun has definitely been used, though it is very solid.

The second one was $200 and was advertised as a fake FEG Hi Power.  The slide in and FNH.  I suppose the frame is an FEG, though I don't know for sure. The serial numbers on the slide and frame don't match, though at $200 for a Hi Power you can't expect perfection. 

This gun might become my automobile self defense weapon - cheap enough so that I won't get bent out of shape if it is stolen.  That was my thinking when I bought it.  As it is, it won't cycle a clip of jacketed ammo without 2-3 jams.  The throat looks pretty rough.  I'll put a little money into it for throating and polishing to see what that does for it.  

If that works, I'll get sights. 

One final point.  A previous post referred to the FN model as a Browning Hi Power variant, which I believe to be incorrect.  My understanding is that John Browning died before completing the Hi Power.   Dieudonné Saive completed the design at the FN factory in Belgium.

I believe they have always been the only manufacturer of the true Browning Hi Power.  I've tried to confirm this from Browning's website, though haven't found it.  A Browning Hi Power purchased from Browning says that it's made in Belgium, I'll bet that is at the FN factory.

Edited by Pete123
Most of the Hi Powers sold since the 90's are stamped made in Belgium assembled in Portugal. Those are the Browning marked ones. There are some late modeled FN marked ones still floating around that state made in Belgium.

The recent crop of Israeli imports over the recent years have been known to be parts guns (Known to be rebuilt a number of times with many different parts other than OEM) Edited by R1100R
Browning the company never made them. They only imported the FN's I believe.

I just won an auction for a 66 T series. It doesn't look mint at all, but I got it cheap enough that I may get it refinished. It hasn't arrived yet.

I've heard on the assembled in Portugal ones are actually stronger metal wise.

I was at Buds in Sevierville 2 weeks ago and they had a new Browning Hipower. It was priced at $1049.00 plus tax etc.

I paid $1200.00 for one in Mint condition 3 years ago, it was too nice to shoot that is why I sold it for a profit, I wish I would have kept it though they are great pistols

I paid $1200.00 for one in Mint condition 3 years ago, it was too nice to shoot that is why I sold it for a profit, I wish I would have kept it though they are great pistols

Dang, I wonder what my Belgium Hi-Power is worth then...will never know.

I really like our EAA.    It is accurate and reliable.  Trigger is so-so, but it was like $450,  not a pro target model.   They make a fine single action model but its pricy.

I also like the cz rami.  Good size for both range and carry.   I had it converted to SA but it has a ton of take-up.  There is only so much you can do without a total overhaul.

range only, the RIA 1911 9mm is hard to beat for price and fun.

• Like 1
I enjoy my p938 too, but it is a little small for range fun.

I thought about A 1911 as well, but double the capacity would definitely be nice. A double stack 1911 would have been nice, but I haven't heard of many reliable ones. I wish the 9mm 1911s were designed for that round.
  • 1 month later...
I have shot both and really enjoyed both. They both point very well. I just wish the safety was a little more firm flipping on and off. They are both extremely fun as well. I haven't picked a favorite yet.
Great! Glad you are enjoying them. Yea, I know what you mean about that safety. No "click" at all really. I won't ever carry it, so for me it isn't really a big deal. But yea, it's definitely one of those "I wish this was different" type of things.
It hurts the gun cause I would carry it at work if I felt better about it. That would lead to more Witness sales. I may ask a gunsmith what he can do about it. I tried finding info on the net with no luck.

I really like our EAA.    It is accurate and reliable.  Trigger is so-so, but it was like $450,  not a pro target model.   They make a fine single action model but its pricy.

I also like the cz rami.  Good size for both range and carry.   I had it converted to SA but it has a ton of take-up.  There is only so much you can do without a total overhaul.

range only, the RIA 1911 9mm is hard to beat for price and fun.

I haven't shot my Rami in ages. Should I sell it? lol

As far as the RIA 9...they really are a blast. Had a trigger job and Hi-Viz sights put on mine. Helped me see and shoot better.

Thinking about getting another RIA later this year. There's just sooo many of them to pick from.
Sweet! I got my 10 from Bud's. It wasn't a steal, but a fair price. The best part was I saw it go down almost $40 the next week, and noticed that little price guarantee icon on their site... looked into it and less than a week later I had the difference credited to my debit card! I was a happy feller!

About 12-13 years ago, when there was that initial influx of Israeli FN HiPowers, I bought one pretty cheap.

Typical cop gun...looked like hell, but the internals were great (carried a lot / shot little).

Anyway, I sent it to Jim Garthwaite ( www.garthwaite.com ) for a trigger job w/ mag safety disable, "commander hammer," extended thumb safety, refinish, and new sight install.

What returned was a different gun.  It was beautiful.

I was a dumbass for selling it...

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

Hmmm... listings show my Officers Model to be 34 oz. That sure seems heavy. I haven't shot it in a while though, but it doesn't feel heavier to me.

My officer is very heavy with that steel frame. I may sell mine and pick one up.

Springfield EMP9 9 rounds, 27 oz. My EMP40 is 33 oz but feels good in my hand and is easy to carry.

I've never held one, but I heard they were really heavy. I wish those were lighter.