Tell us how you stay safe

What precautions do you take when reloading?

I try to keep my bench clean and stay focused when reloading. But not until I broke my ankle a couple weeks ago did I worry about static electricity. The thought of loading a few rounds entered my mind yesterday but wondered how would I move or get away from powder that might ignite. I couldn't. What do you guys do (if anything) to reduce the chance of igniting powder?

my first rule is not to be naked  when either cooking bacon or reloading :rofl:  but seriously , I try and wait until the kids have left for school and my wife is at work. That way i have NO INTERUPTIONS. That is my biggest thing. I use a regular powder measure and charge each cartridge individually. Last week I got interupted by my little girl then my wife . I came back to my table and accidently loaded a brass case that already had a charge in it. I always load 50 cases at a time then go back and look inside before I put in my bullets so this is what saved my rear-end . So for me it's no interuptions. I haven't noticed any large static build-up while reloading but I am sure it is still there. I always kinda worry about installing primers on my hand primer so I face it away from me towards a wall and I always wear glasses.

I've never experienced a static electric shock while reloading. I do it in the basement, and in a garage before that. Neither were heated and cooled, so there wasn't a problem with dry air. I also never had carpet in either. I've found dry air and carpet to be two contributing factors to static electric shocks.

Have you ever lit a pile of smokeless powder? Try it outside. I think you'll be quite disappointed. It's more a slow fizzle than a kaboom.

Edited by gregintenn
I never charge a case with powder until the previous case has a bullet seated. That keeps distractions or memory issues from causing problems. I can walk away for days and I will never have to wonder where I am in the process and it is no slower.

Step 1. Grab an empty, primed, case and drop the powder then seat the bullet.

Step 2. See step 1
  • Like 2

I never charge a case with powder until the previous case has a bullet seated. That keeps distractions or memory issues from causing problems. I can walk away for days and I will never have to wonder where I am in the process and it is no slower.

Step 1. Grab an empty, primed, case and drop the powder then seat the bullet.

Step 2. See step 1

Same here. I only have ONE can of powder on the bench, never leave powder in the powder measure, and charge and seat one case at a time.

• Like 1

Everyone has good tips. I never have a radio, tv, computer etc on when reloading. It is something that requires your utmost attention. I only use a few powders, but only open 1 can, I also mark with a sticky label what is in the powder measure in case I leave it in there as I sometimes do. Keep a good record of what load data is in a particular batch as a few days or weeks or years clouds your memory. Organize your bench for your comfort and ease. When I first started I was sharing our laundry room and my wife asked several times if what I was doing was safe and my reply was/is " this is safer than cutting your grass". I never have a conversation with anyone while loading, if you call or come by I will finish the round I am loading and then we will talk. If you want instruction or tips I will show you. Be careful, have fun. This hobby is probably the most addictive and rewarding of all my hobbies. As I grow older I am even more conscious of labeling batch with all load data so that anyone can duplicate it if they choose.

The reloading area is quiet unless the vacuum is running on the dillon motor.
I wear eye protection, and work on a rubber anti fatigue mat to reduce static discharge issues..
Some of this may be over kill to some but I can focus on loading and not worry about injuries.