PC tech help

I need to send about 200 emails to my attorney. She asked that I add them to dropbox and then share with her. Can anyone tell me how?

Or can anyone tell me another way to do it without forwarding each individual email? I don't mind doing that if I have to, but she didn't want to receive them that way.

What sort of email?  Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook?  Outlook makes it easy to download your emails IIRC, to download your gmail you have to go to myaccount.gmail.com and select download data.  From there you can select your mail and you can download it in a zip format.  Yahoo sucks and doesn't let you export your email easily.

How to download outlook emails (this lady is unnecessarily wordy, shows you how around 3min) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8y6IlD-qE

How to use dropbox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybe_YlpAe4

export them, compress them, and email them....  most email clients allow you to save them as a document (often just a .txt or .html with images).  And you can usually do that in bulk.   Compressed to a single file, 200 should not be very large if its "just email".   If its documents, files, images, and other big junk, you may need to dump the compressed file to the drop box or similar approach.   If its under 2 MB, just email it.

• Like 1

I use Pegasus stand alone email client with all emails on my puter itself, so easy to just tag them all and forward. Have options for simple forward with each as separate email, or better, start a new email with all of them as attachments, or do as one email in MIME digest form.

I don't use DropBox, but seems that would be a pretty clunky way of doing it. Guess you'd have to save each one as a text file or something, or copy/paste them all into a doc. But then you'd lose all the extended headers, which might be important if they are needed as proof of something or other showing the actual routing.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Unless they have large attachments, I would just forward them to the attorney several at a time as attachments. From Outlook, just highlight the first message, then hold shift and click the last message to highlight all of them, Then right-click any of the highlighted messages and select "Forward". All of the highlighted messages will become attachments to a new email. Maybe do them in batches of 50 or so.

If you have a few non-related messages mixed within the bunch, after you do the shift-click to select all of them, hold down control, and click on the individual messages you don't want to have selected for forwarding. Although, I would probably just create a separate folder to organize all of the pertinent emails into so they aren't mingled in with other email.

Here's an idea.  If you are using an email client that allows you to select and print multiple messages at a time you could simply print them in bulk to a .pdf file using a free pdf printer.  I use Bullzip PDF at home.

That way you end up with a single file that you can send and have a copy of exactly what you sent.

• Like 1

Here's an idea. If you are using an email client that allows you to select and print multiple messages at a time you could simply print them in bulk to a .pdf file using a free pdf printer. I use Bullzip PDF at home.

That way you end up with a single file that you can send and have a copy of exactly what you sent.

I'll try this tonight.
Thanks

I wouldn't share a Dropbox account with anyone outside my immediate family.  Email or snailmail them.

If that's not good enough, I'd set up a one-use account on a public FTP server like DriveHQ, upload the files, give the account info to the attorrney, confirm the download and then delete the account.

That's going to be difficult in GMail. They don't really offer a way to export email. There is an app I found while Googling this question, but I don't think that will help either. It is designed to export email from one account to another, and will be in a format that the lawyer probably can't open up, so it will be worthless data.

There are ways to use a dedicated email app, like Outlook, to open GMail, but any other program that offers a way to save the emails to disk, you will have a similar problem. If you are using Thunderbird and they are using Outlook, they won't be able to open your files. You have to be using the exact same email application. And, at least with Outlook, I think you have to save each email to disk one at a time.

I like the idea of printing each email to a .PDF file, but GMail does not offer a way to select multiple emails and print them all. You have to open each email and select print. That will take a long time. I did find this web site that describes an app you can install to Chrome (if you use that browser) and print multiple pages. Not sure of your techiness level, but the page is here: http://www.thegooru.com/how-to-print-emails-in-bulk-in-gmail/ . Looks like it saves it right to a pdf format too.

I'm old fashioned.  Burn them to a CD and send/take it to her.

That ain't old fashioned, old fashioned would be to print them all and hand deliver the stack to her ...

and ancient would be to copy them out by hand, in cursive, then send them by carrier pigeon ...

Don't you need Outlook or a special app on the other end to read it?

- OS

Yeah, but I'd assume any law office would have MS Outlook on their systems even if they use web access for email. It comes with most Office packs. If not, they're a pretty low rent firm.

Yeah, but I'd assume any law office would have MS Outlook on their systems even if they use web access for email. It comes with most Office packs. If not, they're a pretty low rent firm.

I know a business owner who lives in a 3 story lake home and drives a Shelby Cobra.. his office uses AOL mail.... money does not make one tech savvy :D