CC at NRA show in Nashville?

From what I can tell, in TN parks, etc. you have to be familiar the ordinances in the individual areas.

State Parks are OK. In Nashville that's going to be the Bicentennial Mall and Radnor Lake.

Metro-Nashville parks are all off limits, for now. Watch this space for an update. A bill has passed the house and senate to change that. Now they need to reconcile a variation in their bills (then probably override a veto). It would make carry in all state and local parks legal as long as a school event isn't occuring there. It could go into effect before the NRA convention. Federal land (TVA, Corps of Engineers, etc.) have their own rules.

We know for sure that the circle-slash "gunbuster" has the force of law to ban carry wherever it's posted, and any sign with some specific verbage that cites TCA-39-17-1359 also have the force of law. The law doesn't say if a non-conforming sign (one that just says "No guns allowed" for example) has the force of law or not, and there's no case law, so we truly don't know about those.

The only places off-limits without having to post are penal institutions, schools, and a room with an active judicial proceeding. Since this is a thread on visiting for the NRA convention, I suspect those are irrelevant, plus they sometimes have their own odd nuances regarding permit holders and/or what is and isn't a weapon.

Edited by monkeylizard

Also, for out-of-towners, keep in mind that if you do visit a state park, chances are that you WILL see a "no firearms" sign which does not distinguish between permit holders and non-permit holders ... this is a holdover from a few years back when the law was changed, and the signs are very slowly being replaced as maintenance requires (and not before).

However, keep in mind that the signs in state parks apply only to non-permit holders, regardless of whether they contain the old or new wording. In other words, regardless of the signage, if you have a valid permit which is recognized in Tennessee, you are good to go in TN state parks no matter what the sign reads. Just be discreet so as to avoid questions or raise eyebrows of the un-informed.

Edited by tartanphantom

Also, for out-of-towners, keep in mind that if you do visit a state park, chances are that you WILL see a "no firearms" sign which does not distinguish between permit holders and non-permit holders ... this is a holdover from a few years back when the law was changed, and the signs are very slowly being replaced as maintenance requires (and not before).

+1 to this.

This only applies to STATE parks. The signs were left up because to force the park service to change them would have required a fiscal note to be attached to the bill. That tends to be a poison pill for gun bills. To get the law changed to allow carry in state parks, the backers of the bill had to avoid a fiscal note. Basically the old signs stay up until they need to be replaced, then the new signs will omit the "no firearms" langauge. The existing signs have no force of law.

I have a tangentially related question.  My wife wants to do other stuff in Nashville while we are there, so we are staying Saturday night (with our 9-year old son).  Any suggestions for things to do, preferably at places that aren't posted?  DaveTN said most tourist places are posted, but I'm not even sure what those places are.  Honestly, the only things in that vein that I even know about in Nashville are the Grand Ole Opry and The Hermitage.

We won't be going to bars/nightclubs/etc, and I plan on mainly being at the convention.

Are many of the bars, restaurants, music places, etc. in the downtown area posted?  Just trying to decide if I should carry or not.  Don't want to have to keep going back and forth to the car to disarm.

Edited by Buff1968

So back on topic here, the NRA is saying Bridgestone prohibits carry (note that they don't say posted) but Music City hall is okay. What is being held in Bridgestone? I can't find anything that's taking place in there, it all seems to be in Music City.

OK it appears that it is OK to carry at  the NRA convention at the Music City Center.  For those of you familiar with Nashville, is carry allowed in most of the places (stores, bars, restaurants, music venues, etc.) in the downtown area?  Or is it a situation where you might as well not even bring your EDC because so many places are posted?

OK it appears that it is OK to carry at  the NRA convention at the Music City Center.  For those of you familiar with Nashville, is carry allowed in most of the places (stores, bars, restaurants, music venues, etc.) in the downtown area?  Or is it a situation where you might as well not even bring your EDC because so many places are posted?

Just a note for the bars and restuarants. Can't drink at all in a place open to public while carrying, whether "intoxicated" or not.

- OS

I'm wondering if some currently posted places will suddenly become unposted for the event because I have a feeling the potential lost of revenue will make some businesses become two faced.

I doubt it.  Downtown Nashville has no problem attracting tourist dollars.

I'm wondering if some currently posted places will suddenly become unposted for the event because I have a feeling the potential lost of revenue will make some businesses become two faced.

Sadly, I'm wondering if the reverse scenario may be more prevalent... chickenSh!t places downtown that may be suddenly "posted" after years of not posting at all... I guess they'll be the ones missing out on the economic boost, so their loss, I guess.

I highly suspect "Concealed is concealed" will be an unofficial approach by many this week.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

IMO the best way to go... no need in showing your ass... or your sidearm.

The last thing I want to see is a certain resident Tennessee pot-stirrer OC'ing an uncased AR15 on Broadway (cough cough L. Embody... cough cough) "just because he can".

Even so, I'm slightly more apprehensive about out-of-staters coming to town packing heat without checking the state laws first for some of the more nuanced provisions. I mean, most of the laws & regs have been discussed here ad nauseum, but much of what seems like old hat to most of us may be surprising to the uninformed...

Edited by tartanphantom

I'm slightly more apprehensive about out-of-staters coming to town packing heat without checking the state laws first for some of the more nuanced provisions. I mean, most of the laws & regs have been discussed here ad nauseum, but much of what seems like old hat to most of us may be surprising to the uninformed...

I'm not too concerned about that. Most of the goofy stuff for us has to do with places that visitors aren't likely to come across. Basically all they need to know for a good visit is open vs. concealed makes no legal difference and signage has the force of law. We don't have the goofy laws about churches, or public venues with seating capacity above X, or if Y% of revenue is derived from alcohol, etc.

In my own personal case, I have decided to carry to Nashville but not while in Nashville.  Seems there are just too many places that are posted to not make it worth the hassle of arming/disarming for every other place of business.  Maybe that is their whole idea.  Anyway, I am surprised to find this out.  I had thought that TN would be a pretty carry friendly state.  Maybe it is outside of the larger cities.  Kinda like Chicago I guess.  I want to thank everyone for their input.  At least I know now what to expect.