Canik TP9sa at the NRA SHOW

jgradyc

A friend of mine in South Carolina bought one recently and left this report on another forum:

"I recently purchased a Canik TP9SA. I knew nothing about it but saw something on the web so I started to do a little research on it. The more I saw / read the more I liked, especially the price point at $340 and all the other goodies it comes with. As you can see in the attachment it come with two holster options: paddle or belt loop. Ironically I carry a very similar rig on duty. It comes with two 18 round magazines as well as two different backstraps to fit your hand and the cleaning bore and brush. I chose the Desert Tan just to be a little different.

I have to say that it is one of the smoothest shooting pistols I have ever fired. If you like Glocks then you will recognize the trigger pull. I am just guessing but would put it around 5lbs. Very clean and real nice crisp reset... better that a Glock.
With two 18 round mags you can have a lot of fun on the range without having to stop to reload. We shot 124 gr FMJ with a very very pleasent recoil. It was very accurate right out of the box even though you can adjust for windage.
I have to admit I could not tell too much difference with the two different backstraps but I have largeish hands.

I only wiped it down a little from the box then took it straight to the range. It breaks down real easy for cleaning and I have to admit that with the weapon being Desert tan made it easy to tell where you needed to clean better!
The few bad remarks from folks on you tube all centered around this being used as a CCW. With the ambi decocker on the top of the slide like it is I can see the point however I did not buy this gun as a CCW but as a fun, inexpensive range toy. I will say one thing... you only have to pull the slide about 1/4 inch to re-engage the striker pin. At only $340 bucks I have absolutly no complaints."

Hope it helps.

Quoted from www.handgunsandammunition.com.

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 1

I have handled one. I can tell you it feels great, almost CZ-ish in the grip, and points excellently. I like the sight picture; not just the standard three dot, but the little line at the bottom of the rear sight that causes a lollipop effect with the front sight. Something about that combination seemed real easy to acquire to me.

The decock buttons are really quite stiff to push in, so I don't understand what the issue with carry would be. You have to really WANT to decock the gun; it's not gonna happen accidentally. The trigger on the one I pulled rivaled my PPQ. It was really an excellent trigger.

I'm hoping to be able to shoot one in the next few days...

• Administrator

I got to handle the one at the NRAAM show this past weekend.  Like others have said, it points very naturally and balances well.  The TP9sa does feel better in the hand than the original TP9 did.  Also, the fit and finish is actually quite good, but they might have brought a ringer to the show.  I'd want to see what they look like in gun stores when the manufacturer reps didn't get to cherry-pick what was on display. 

Price is where this thing is going to excel.  There really aren't any great alternatives in the price range the Canik plays within (IMO) if you don't want to shop used, so I can see it having a good run at the market.

What bothers me, though, is the de-cocking system on a striker fired handgun.  With a DA/SA firearm having an exposed hammer, it makes more sense because in order to re-cock the gun you either pull the trigger all the way through the heavy DA cycle, or you thumb the hammer back and enjoy the lighter SA cycle.  With a striker fired weapon, the only way to re-cock is to rack the slide again, in which case you have ejected and wasted a round of ammunition.  The whole thing seems like an answer in search of a question that should have remained hypothetical.

Interesting pistol and I like the aforementioned price but the things still junk yard dog ugly. I'm unmoved by the decocker on a striker fired pistol though and wonder at the reasoning involved therein. Still it's a pistol I'll look at when I see one in a LGS and if I like it one might find its way into a range bag.

What bothers me, though, is the de-cocking system on a striker fired handgun.  With a DA/SA firearm having an exposed hammer, it makes more sense because in order to re-cock the gun you either pull the trigger all the way through the heavy DA cycle, or you thumb the hammer back and enjoy the lighter SA cycle.  With a striker fired weapon, the only way to re-cock is to rack the slide again, in which case you have ejected and wasted a round of ammunition.  The whole thing seems like an answer in search of a question that should have remained hypothetical.

I'm waiting for the TP9SF to be imported, I was talking with the rep at the booth and he said mid summer for them to hit our shores. The SF will be strictly a striker fired gun with no decocker at all. Basically a Turkish Glock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTA00JS-F0

Edited by xjsnake
  • Like 1

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder. I thought this was a nice looking gun when I actually held it in my hand. It comes in black, if the tan color is the problem. 

Edited by jgradyc
Exellent point. I think he may have identified the reason why the decocker is being removed. A decocker is traditionally incorporated into conventional DA/SA trigger systems, not strictly SA pistols. I wouldn't want a pistol set up this way for defense, although it's OK for a range popper, as stated in the user quote I posted in response #2.
I agree a decocker on a striker fired gun is a waste and could cost someone their life. A decocker on a da/sa you can pull the trigger and the gun should fire. Even on a sa gun with an exposed hammer you can cock the hammer and fire ( still not a great idea).

Having to rack the slide cause a possible jam you may just not have one in the chamber at least then at minimum you don't waste a cartridge. Also, IMHO money isn't the reason the choose a self defense gun functionality is.

There is a difference in unnecessary and dangerous. The decocker is unnecessary. Simply don't use it. It's not like it's easy to engage, and could be engaged during presentation. Unlike the "NADS" guy, I can at least envision a scenario where it might be useful... might.

Say it's your nightstand/range gun, not a carry weapon. You leave every day to go to work, you have small children at home with your wife. Rather than unload the gun, decock it so the kids can't fire it if they happen upon it. When you return, you get it ready to go again.

Now, THIS is dangerous. AND stupid. Period. http://www.safetybullet.com/home.html

I concur on the comment regarding the decocker on a striker fired pistol being unnecessary but not dangerous. The Walter decocker safety commonly seen on the M-9/92FS and other pistols was commonly maligned as unsafe. Why? Some folks thought all of the actions involved in using the darn things in a reverse order to the Colt 1911 safety would get the user into trouble. In the end it was simply a matter of training.

For what it's worth, here's a way to deactivate the decocker. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_36/157293_.html&page=1

However, I'd have to say that the risk of the decocker being accidentally depressed would be nearly zero, at least how I would carry it. It took maybe 10 pounds of pressure and the decocker is not in a place that is likely to get pressed once it's holstered. 

• Like 2
It seems really odd to add a decocker. It is one more thing that can be mess up the action, and it really doesn't serve a purpose. If someone thinks that will keep kids safe messing with a loaded gun, then that is just sad. For a range gun, the decocker doesn't bother me. For a self defense gun, I would look elsewhere. If they came out with one without it, then I would consider it if it gets a positive long term reviews. Right now it is just a flash in the pan.

I have a little more faith in Hickok45 than a guy that wears a "NADS" t-shirt while talking about guns... just sayin'.

Hickock never in years has ever panned any gun,he just shoots and says

life is good..I enjoys his point of view but he is never critical ..

The Decocker is plain stupid on this gun ,,,

Edited by SonnyCrockett
  • Like 1