Great service alert: On Target in Murfreesboro

Hey guys. This feels a bit awkward for me to write, but I just have to give props to the guys at On Target.

First, the background info. I used to be a member at On Target 7-8 years ago and felt like I was taken care of as a range member, but not much else. When money got tight, I didn't renew my membership and due to a lot of other circumstances I pretty much quit the gun hobby for a few years. About 3.5 years ago I slowly started shooting/buying again. There were a few familiar faces at On Target, one of them a good friend who continued to be awesome, but everyone else was new. Um... dunno how to say this but I was very unimpressed and almost felt unwelcome. I still stopped in every few months anyway and soon even my one last hold-out good guy left/quit/gotfired/idunnoineverfoundout/healwayssaidhewantedtomovetoalaska/guessmaybehedid was no longer there. At that point I kind of gave up on the shop.

Fast forward again to last August. For a short time I worked at Nissan and took advantage of a screamin' deal on an annual membership that was offered to Nissan employees which I heard about through a co-worker. I figured I would just use the range and nothing else... just a cheap place to shoot while protected from the elements.

This was great at first, but a lot of things had changed since I had shot there before. I used to be able to shoot whatever kind of rifle or shotgun I wanted without a second thought or extra cost penalty. When I first brought an AR for wifey to shoot, the told me I could not shoot my steel cased bi-metal stuff. Ixnay on the ootingshay for that day as that was all I brought. :/ Next time I brought brass 223 so she could shoot that, and they had just started another new rule that you had to buy THEIR rifle ammo to shoot. (Note: only affects rifles, not handguns) :-( Due to me being a terrible cheapskate, I now simply view OT as a pistol only range. The rifle lanes are currently down due to needing repair anyway, but I understand they should be back up soon.

Doesn't sound like a glowing review so far, does it? As of six months ago, I was still pretty sour on the place, but I did have that membership to take advantage of. I don't know exactly when it happened, but in my time away the staff changed completely, and I believe my previous history with OT and my idea of what it WAS conflicted with how the places operates now (much better, imho) caused me to take a dim view of what were some necessary changes there. In the months I have been going I have gotten to know some of the guys, and have received some great help.

Also, one of my really good friends started working there recently. When he started I told him how frustrated I was with OT when I started going back, and how I disliked some of the changes. Honestly, because of my respect for him I started to give the shop another chance at earning my favor... not just being a place to shoot, but a place to shop, bring friends, and get help with my various projects.

I wanted to share this with my other Mid TN folks who maybe have felt a little turned off by OT in the past. I really do believe the place is a much friendlier and helpful store than it was a few years ago. It took me some time to come around, and of course the fact that my friend works there to really give them another chance. No, I have not gotten a single discount on anything because I am friends with anyone there, and this post is completely unsolicited. I just wanted to share my experience.

What really made me do this was the help I got yesterday. I'm not going to get too detailed but suffice it to say two guys there went WAY above and beyond yesterday helping me with some items I didn't even purchase there. (NRAAM show deal.) The guy that really stepped up huge doesn't even know me. He just knew how to help, so he did. I'm seriously grateful. I just feel I had to share this.

I'm just asking that if there are any of you guys out there that have felt like I did in the past about OT... if you swore them off a few years ago... please just give them another shot (pun intended) to help you again. I know that in the past I had spoken of some of my dissatisfaction with OT, so I feel it's only fair that I also share how I feel now.

No, they're not going to win on price very often at first glance, but at least give them a look. I haven't bought any guns recently, but when I wanted some Magpul parts for my 500, they were within $2 of any other supplier, and I got to check the stuff out before buying.

Thanks everyone for your time. If you're in the area and haven't stopped by OT in awhile, go say "Hi" to Josh, Kevin, or Tyler. They've won me back, and I hope they can help you, too. Edited by musicman
  • Like 2
Guest sargekw

On one of my trips to On Target I noticed the rifle lanes were closed and asked the guys what was going on.  Apparently, some folks can't follow rules or snuck some steel ammo in and shot holes through the steel traps at the back of the lanes, and the steel is thicker for the rifle lanes.  They said the lanes would be closed for at least a couple months till they can get them repaired.  

It might not be fancy, but the guys are there to help and are willing to help as much as they can and answer whatever questions people have.

They're always nice. The drawback that I have is or was the guy behind the counter that always grabbed the firearms off the wall with his finger on the triigger and handing them to the customers without clearing them. Having to wade through the picnic area to look at guns was also irritating. Nothing like having seven or eight people gathered around a table for four and blocking the gun cases.
  • Administrator

Honestly until a conversation I was in yesterday brought them back to mind, I had sort of forgotten that they were over there.  After one of my favorite local gun-shop staffers left On-Target a while back, the overall customer experience seemed to go downhill for me and others I had spoken with at the time.

I'm glad to hear that they are turning things around.  We need more gun shops; not fewer.

• Like 1

Glad that the OP's  experience has improved.

Now, if they would only bother to clean and service their rental firearms every now and then... "dirty" is an understatement for the ones I have handled there... almost to the point of being hazardous on a couple of the 1911's I attempted to use.

Edited by tartanphantom
My one experience there involved stopping by one afternoon last year on the way back from one of the Murfreesboro gun shows. I had found a pink Tennessee Arms Co. AR lower receiver and had decided it would be fun to build my daughter a pink AR. I stopped in at On Target to see if they had any pink Magpul AR parts. An arrogant short guy behind the counter informed me contemptuously that Magpul had never made any pink products. I assured him that they had, and he asked, "So, what's the catalog number?" Yeah, sure, I memorize the catalog numbers of every gun or gun part that interests me. So, while I was at the store I decided to look around, and over on a rack of Magpul accessories I discovered some Magpul iPhone cases in -- you guessed it -- pink. (No pink AR parts, though.) I thought about pointing it out to the little prick behind the counter but decided it was not worth my time. Haven't been back. And I bought the pink Magpul parts I needed online.

Maybe I will give them another try.

Cheers,
Whisper
Guest Toothpick!
I'm looking for a good range close to home. As a new shooter I definitely do not need the arrogance or just bad attitudes towards customers.

From what I read though it sounds like they have changed. Edited by Toothpick!

It has changed but I still prefer to shoot outside.

Yea, I generally like shooting outside, especially adding in the fact that I can blow stuff up with shotguns or shoot rifles at 100yds+. Then there are the days where it's pouring rain or either freezing or over 100 degrees... then I suddenly love the idea of an indoor range! ;-)

I'm glad to hear many folks have experienced the same turnaround in service and customer care that I have at OT, and even more glad to see that some other folks may give them another chance. I think I may go shooting there after work tomorrow. Maybe I'll see another TGOer there! :-D

I'm glad to hear many folks have experienced the same turnaround in service and customer care that I have at OT, and even more glad to see that some other folks may give them another chance. I think I may go shooting there after work tomorrow. Maybe I'll see another TGOer there! :-D

My wife holds her "Well-Armed Woman" chapter meetings at On Target on the 3rd Tues. evening of each month. Since the group is ladies-only, I'm usually not there, but she has had me in a couple of meetings to speak on various topics such as firearm maintenance and longarms discussions, so ya never know...

Edited by tartanphantom
Sounds like a lot of us have had similar experiences there in the past. Last couple of times I was in there as a paying customer the attitude I got (from guys no longer there apparently) was like they couldn't care less if I was there spending it. Mind you I wasn't singlehandedly paying for an entire remodel, but still. Next time I'm in the 'hood I'll give 'em another shot. (Again, pun intended).

Well, over the last year there has been an on-again/off-again rumor about Outpost Armory opening their own range, including both indoor and outdoor lanes. Don't know the status of it right now, but if it ever gets up & running there could be problems for other local ranges if they fail to adapt. (there is only ONE in Murfreesboro right now).

Well, over the last year there has been an on-again/off-again rumor about Outpost Armory opening their own range, including both indoor and outdoor lanes. Don't know the status of it right now, but if it ever gets up & running there could be problems for other local ranges if they fail to adapt. (there is only ONE in Murfreesboro right now).

I guarantee you one thing, if the Outpost opens one it will be both state of the art and outrageously expensive if their other pricing is any indicator. Probably on par with Nashville Armory but more expensive.
  • Like 2
I've only been to On Target a few times, but have never had any reason to complain about the staff. One time, they even helped me with adjusting a flash hider on an AR barrel for free. A simple turn of a wrench, sure...but since I don't have a garage or the tools, that small thing was a welcome help. I also like how late they stay open. I took my ex-girlfriend there to shoot for the first time in her life once on a date night. I'm romantic like that. I've never felt like an unwelcome customer in their business.

Their fees for shooting are the only reason I don't frequent their establishment with regularity, and that's a shame. The costs are so prohibitive that I'll drive 30 minutes out to Woodbury and shoot at OK Coral after planning it out instead of a quick 10 minute trip to their lanes spur of the moment. I really think that if they lowered their prices, and used an online reservation system, they could fill enough time blocks with people on their days off, lunch breaks, and so forth to be profitable. Personally, I have two days a week this semester with five hour blocks in between classes where if I didn't have schoolwork to do, I would have considered popping down there to shoot a box of ammo. But, their doors are still open, so they're doing fine without my advice. Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2
I understand the cost concern. However, I don't know of any acceptable indoor range in or near Rutherford county that costs less... or even exists. :-( I visit OKC a few times a year, but living in Smyrna that's roughly 45 minutes each way. I have to plan my whole day around that on event, so I make it count and bring lots of toys, spending time in the shotgun pit, pistol bays, and rifle lanes to get the most out of my trip. Hobson Pike is where I go to fiddle with my rifles for $5.50. I know many folks don't like the place, but I don't mind it.

I think the annual membership at OT is $275 right now. If someone goes once a month, I think that's the break-even point. What's great is that you are also given a number (I don't remember how many... like 4 or 6) guest passes where you can bring a friend at no additional charge. I've done this a couple times already. It's great for removing the cost factor as a hurdle to getting a person to try shooting a gun for the first time. Also, everyone in your household shoots free. The membership at OT allows me to shoot all year, regardless of the weather. Now that I'm back in the hobby full-bore, I'll most likely renew my membership this fall, even though I will not be getting a discounted rate.

Just food for thought :-)

And I just packed my range bag for tomorrow. I'll be there around 5ish, the fatty with the tan S&W backpack. I'll have the 10MM and a 44mag with me if anyone wants to shoot.

Heck, here's an open invite: if anyone else wants to shoot, I'll let the first person to claim it by posting in this thread use one of my remaining guest passes.
  • Like 1
I'd have to agree with the above. We are, as a group, always complaining about the cost of certain indoor ranges, but I have yet to find the clean, big, modern, safe and CHEAP ranges everyone seems to be waiting for.

I always liked On Target. It used to me my go to indoor range before I bought a membership at Everything Weapons....5 min from my house. Totally worth it to me since I shoot 2-3 times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just walked out of there and will Never Return. I won't listen to a sannctamonious little piss pot rant about what is considered proper ID for me to use with a purchase. I was a FFL when he was still pissing in his panties.

They havn't changed. Im done with them.