Clarksville area home security options?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your local police or sheriffs office should have a crime prevention officer who can come by and help with recommendations. But FWIW I'd be looking closely at any repair persons, carpet cleaners or delivery persons who've recently been inside your house. Next would be an overly chatty friend or family member.

But some of the simplest fixes are good strong doors with dead bolt locks and a strong storm door with an exterior key lock. Next clear brush or anything obstructing line of sight from the roadway. Plant decorative thorn buses outside of all windows and make certain the window locks work and are used.  

Your electric utility company can place a security light on an available pole or put another pole in place for such a light. As for alarm companies others will have to help you there. If your set up for high speed internet and use and I-Phone you can use older I-Phones as a security camera you access remotely using an app.  

Edited by TNWNGR

Cameras and alarm systems only help AFTER they break in. Start with physically securing the property better to fend them off before they get in. After our break in at our prior home I went to simple mechanical window locks and much better deadbolts, and beefed up the screws both into the jam securing the deadbolt's cup and in the hinges of all the exterior doors.

Deadbolts-

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Protec2-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt.html

For doors with windows within arms reach-

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Protec2-Single-Cylinder-w-Lockable-Thumbturn-Deadbolt.html

Window locks-

http://amzn.com/B008RIHS2A

I'm not impressed with home alarm monitoring services. It takes too long for a response in my area.  My suggestions are:

1. A home security alarm mounted inside/outside with monitors on the doors and windows. Those things are outrageously loud indoors and one mounted in the attic will alert neighbors.  You can get one that send an alert to your mobile phone. 
  2. Signs mounted front and back of home saying you have a security system
  3. Signs that you have video surveillance.
  4. Depending on your lot, a locking gate to prevent vehicles from approaching your house.
Alarms are fine but make sure there is an audible alarm that goes off when it is tripped. I tell you one thing I have seen many people overlook that is locking the door from the garage to the house. I've seen a few burglaries where entry was made that way. Most are back doors forced open. If you have a door that isn't able to be seen from the road reinforce it.
Thanks for the tips. I bought the physical security improvements today at Lowes. Included are new locks, door barricades as well as window barricades.

Mirrored window films seem like a great dual use product, has anyone here used them?

The garage is my prime concern right now. What are the best ways to secure a garage door, while still having a functional door on it? Right now both garage doors are unplugged, and bolted shut.

I am still interested in a home monitoring system similar to what ya'll have mentioned. Window and door sensors, motion sensors and loud alarms with a unit that will notify atleast three different phone numbers would be great. Adding CCTV and cellular video networks is also something I am looking into.

So far ADT is getting the highest recommendation in my area. Any more comments are gladly appriciated.

My garage door is held closed by slide locks on each side with a padlock through them. From outside it may as well be a wall. From inside I can have it unlocked and open in around 30-60 seconds. If you want it to open and close automatically from outside there are shaft drive openers with electronic locking bolts that are much more secure than a typical belt/chain driven type opener that I have used in the past.

If you want to get somewhat fancy with your current opener and not have to get on and off a ladder to open/close it. . . 

one of these-

http://amzn.com/B007UZH7B8

and one of these-

http://amzn.com/B00FWYESVQ

Then you can set up rules for when the opener has power. IE- only if your cell phone is connected to the home wifi. Not to mention you once you have the hub you are set up to add automation to other parts of the home such as lights.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
Your home got burglarized and they were gone before you got home; that is the good news! It is extremely dangerous to unknowingly interrupt a burglary in progress. Everything in my home can be replaced with the exception of my family. You need an alarm if for no other reason to let you know it is safe to enter your home. Deterring them or sending them fleeing after the initial alarm sound is just an added benefit. Yeah, dogs deter criminals too but they don't call police, are often hurt, shot, or pushed out the door.

Don't forget to have your street address clearly visible for police and first responders. Criminals case-out houses that the police will not so easily be able to find. I even know of one cop who had criminals try and convince him he was at the wrong address.

I've heard good things about Simply Safe. They are also the most affordable. 

I have Lifeshield and I've not been overly impressed. I will go with a different company next time.

Simplisafe is a pile of shit.  We put it on our apartment in Brentwood and we moved out about 30 days before the lease was up, but left the system installed to make sure no one came in and vandalized the place before the lease ended and we turned it back over.

Come to find out, the base station had stopped reporting to their control center for 7 DAYS  again SEVEN DAYS before I got an alert saying that there was no communication link between it and the so called 24x7 monitoring they provide.  Then, we found out the maintenance workers had went through our place because they seen us moving out, and the alarm never went off during that time.  We had door sensors on every door, + 3 motion sensors in a small 2 bedroom apartment and nothing was ever triggered when they came in. 

We had ACE Alarms install a system on the new house and couldn't be any happier.  Completely wireless, keypads instead of key locks on the doors, a plethora of other sensors throughout and the control panel pings the monitoring center every 15 minutes even when it's not armed so you know if it's working or not.

BTW in case I didn't mention it before, do not spend a penny on that simplisafe garbage.