Glock Shooters, Help Me Out.

As some of you have probably noticed, I got a Glock 19 a couple weeks back.  I'm new to the Glock pistols and have only put a magazine at most through a sub compact one a while back, so my experience is limited.

Couple of questions that come to mind about the 19 in regards to shooting it and feeding it.

1) What have you found that yours likes.  I tried two brands, WWB and Perfecta.  Was not pleased with the accuracy in the slightest. In the sense of you would have a hard time hitting a torso at 25 yards.  To make sure it wasn't my shooting (could well be still) I loaded some in my other pistols including my beat up, trade in CZ 75 and the ammo shot very well.

2) It seems like my first shot is always left of where I'm aiming.  I understand that this could be an issue with my trigger control since I'm not used to this style trigger.  What do I need to work on for the Glock?

3)What am I missing that could be improved upon?

Any comments are appreciated, this is a new system for me and I would very much like to improve upon my shooting of it.

As some of you have probably noticed, I got a Glock 19 a couple weeks back.  I'm new to the Glock pistols and have only put a magazine at most through a sub compact one a while back, so my experience is limited.

Couple of questions that come to mind about the 19 in regards to shooting it and feeding it.

1) What have you found that yours likes.  I tried two brands, WWB and Perfecta.  Was not pleased with the accuracy in the slightest. In the sense of you would have a hard time hitting a torso at 25 yards.  To make sure it wasn't my shooting (could well be still) I loaded some in my other pistols including my beat up, trade in CZ 75 and the ammo shot very well.

2) It seems like my first shot is always left of where I'm aiming.  I understand that this could be an issue with my trigger control since I'm not used to this style trigger.  What do I need to work on for the Glock?

Any comments are appreciated, this is a new system for me and I would very much like to improve upon my shooting of it.

I have feed my Glock 19 some of the crappiest ammo you can ever imagine and I still get pretty tight groupings.  I would say it is by far the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.  I would double check and make sure there isn't any problems with the gun itself but outside of that it sounds like it might just be a trigger issue for you and you might need more practice.

Thanks

Robert

Glocks do take some getting used to. The trigger feel is different fro a 1911 or an XD for example and with the G19, it is easy to put too much finger on the trigger. Range time and another observer will help....it took me awhile to get used to the G21 I had as I came from a 1911. Just my  .o2 cents worth.....

Thanks for the chart.  I guess what's throwing me is the trigger safety.  I've never shot anther pistol like that so that might be issue one to correct.

Glocks do take some getting used to. The trigger feel is different fro a 1911 or an XD for example and with the G19, it is easy to put too much finger on the trigger. Range time and another observer will help....it took me awhile to get used to the G21 I had as I came from a 1911. Just my  .o2 cents worth.....

Glocks have a long, mushy and very light trigger pull.  If you memorize it you can jockey the short reset but the default full release or first pull is like that.  If you are used to long heavy triggers or short instant triggers,  you may be doing various things like compensating for the sideways pull done when a heavy trigger is pulled or pulling the gun because the "goes bang" moment is not what you are used to (that is, you expected it to go bang earlier or later than it did and fired when slightly out of position) or jerking it hard thinking to pull a heavy spring that isn't there etc.

My advice is to dry-fire /snap-cap fire it while aiming at a target and observe what happens to the sight picture as you pull the trigger.   This will show you exactly what sort of compensation/flinch/whatever you are doing.  

On TOP of this the bore axis on glocks is "slightly off" the normal angle that the vast majority of other guns use.  This can mess with people at first.

You aren't first to this rodeo.  Loosen up that strong hand grip and pull the trigger straight back.  When paper punching there are pistols I shoot better but when it comes to saving my bacon I go Glock.  As an aging fella I figure minute of bad guy fast is best, versus minute of vest button at slow fire bullseye pace.  

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-422812.html

You aren't first to this rodeo.  Loosen up that strong hand grip and pull the trigger straight back.  When paper punching there are pistols I shoot better but when it comes to saving my bacon I go Glock.  As an aging fella I figure minute of bad guy fast is best, versus minute of vest button at slow fire bullseye pace.  

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-422812.html

Thanks, that gave some good pointers.

If you've essentially spent your shooting life to date with SA, SA/DA pistols and revolvers then shooting a Glock pistol is frustrating as you have to learn an entirely new shooting technique. Then whenever you spend a significant period of time with another pistol you have to reacquaint yourself with the Glock.

What's really bad is you can take someone who's never fired a pistol, teach them on a Glock and they'll be outshooting you in no time. So don't feel bad its just one of those pistols you've got to shoot enough to switch off and go auto pilot with to really do well with it. Get away from paper targets and go with reactive ones, empty plastic bottles, cans, ping pong balls and balloons. Then go back to paper targets to evaluate the group pattern.

What you'll find is you've forgotten how spongy the trigger is because your only releasing to the reset point and then re-stroking the trigger again. People spend lots of money on trigger kits trying to shortcut the learning curve by means of a crisper trigger. I just put good sights on the gun and shoot it.

• Like 1
You're having an allergic reaction to the glock polymers. You need to sell it to me and go back to your surplus steel. slso, Glock triggers are really hard to use after shooting anything else.

Sent from the backwoods

There are some parts you can very easily polish at home in a few minutes to get a better trigger feel.  Plenty of YouTube videos on the 10 cent trigger job.  This might help you out.    

I also tend to shoot low and left with my Glock 19 if I don't practice frequently with iron sights.  I try to think about applying pressure inwards with my hands as opposed to the push pull method in addition to a straight trigger pull.  There really is no wrong way to shoot as long as you are getting the hits you need in the time you want. 

A 6-8" group in the high center mass area while firing in bursts of 5ish rounds very quickly is my goal.   That should hit vitals and give me a 3-4 inch buffer for less than ideal positions.  

Good luck with your new gun. 

If you try shooting a torso at 25 YARDS, a lawyer will have a field day with you. Beyond 21 FEET will give you enough scrutiny. See it for the tool it is; don't try to make it a tight 1911 with a 1 1/2 lb trigger.

See, I think differently. I like the idea of shooting a torso at 250 yards. That will really make a lawyer's balls drop off.

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1

I need to go shoot some targets myself, I could use some improvment. Here's a good video about Glock trigger control, about 15 minutes but he shoots a G34, G19, and a G26 with all the same technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x-UbatREbo

I have the factory sights, I saw a video where this guy advised to put a thin black line on the white dot of the front site, it helps in focusing on the front site. I put a thin line with a fine tip Sharpie, just sighting it around the house it seems to help a little in focusing. Now I need to see if it helps at the range.

I also have a cheapo laser, don't keep it installed but I thought about installing it just to dry fire at a target to see how much the laser dot moves when I squeeze the trigger and try to get where it doesn't move. I remember in Basic we had to balance a big metal washer on the barell of our M-16s, dry fire them without the washer falling off. All about trigger control.

Edited by K191145
I am not a Glock owner, but I have found all striker fired pistols seem to have a lot longer trigger pull than hammer pistols. I have XD pistols and constantly have to mentally slow down with my first mag to shoot it well. Just keep practicing and slow down your trigger pull.
I have about 3k rounds through my G19...I picked it up when I was relatively new to shooting so I am fairly accurate with it. The grip geometry is noticeably different compared to other guns since I can't shoot a 1911 worth hell...I've run everything from various carry ammo to tulammo steel case with no hiccups...just keep shooting it, practice makes perfect...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk Edited by jacob
  • Like 1