Shooting on Private Property

Who has or has access to private property that they can shoot on?

TN born and raised, but under my circumstances, the first time I shot anything bigger than a BB gun was 2010. I've always had the desire to shoot and would often frequent firearm related videos online. I'm 24, and I've only been a gun owner for over a year now and am just starting to meet shooters through friends/family or on ranges.
By now I've built 4 ARs, and have shot a variety of common firearms. I'm learning a lot and I'm loving it! An Asian kid who loves God, 'Merica, and Guns haha. I also love shooting tannerite or anything that goes boom. Responsibly of course.

I've also been able to spark an interest and excitement about shooting with my friends, even the ones who don't know a lot about firearms and were nearly anti-gun before I expressed how fun it was and how practical it was for safety. And having a place that's not intimidating to show them (like Nashville Armory with that old RSO that makes you nervous) would be great and ideal. Quite frankly I'd also like to be able to work on long distance and every now and then blow something up. Because, you know, America. That would also make this upcoming 4th of July even better.

A lot of people I see that shoot in TN (or anywhere) have access to a lot of open land. I'm not one of them. The closest family I have with land is in GA.

So I wanted to post this thread to see who shoots on open land and if anyone was willing to provide some connections [update: or info on good open places to shoot]. I live in Nashville by the way.

1521329_10206748157208396_54226940191799

Edited by tomtomtheninja
Might I suggest a membership to Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill?
It's the nearest thing you'll get to a private range.
Target berms out to 1250yds, no RSOs to pester you, clubhouse, beautifully set up, covered shooting benches, pistol/tactical rifle bays, tv monitored long range targets & golf buggies for target changing are provided. All that + 24/7 access for $150 a year
No tannerite allowed though, however a quick, dirty $10 trip to Terry Walden's in Manchester will scratch that itch ;)
  • Like 2

See this thread on tannerite

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/85742-got-tannerite-dont-mix-it/

+1 to robtattoo's post.

Other options around Nashville are:

• CHMR ( http://www.chmr.us/ ) for $90/year. It only goes to 100 yards though and I doubt he'd allow tannerite but I don't know for sure.
  • Gallatin Gun Club ( http://www.gallatingun.com/ ) for $50 year. It goes to 300 yards. No tannerite and a waiting list, plus Saturdays in warm months are usually blacked out for competitions.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately we live in a time where there is just too much liability with letting complete strangers come shoot on your property. If I ever have land where I'm able to shoot it will only be for close friends and family whom I trust won't sue me if they accidentally blow their toe off.

• Like 3

First post and you're asking someone to let you use their land?  Then again you mention it in a the New Member Introductions forum. Any lunch and beverage requests to go along with that as well?

Mayhaps get to know a few members via interaction here, meet up if we ever get a lunch or dinner scheduled...then try to shimmy your way onto someones land for a free shoot. 

• Like 2

Might I suggest a membership to Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill?
It's the nearest thing you'll get to a private range.
Target berms out to 1250yds, no RSOs to pester you, clubhouse, beautifully set up, covered shooting benches, pistol/tactical rifle bays, tv monitored long range targets & golf buggies for target changing are provided. All that + 24/7 access for $150 a year
No tannerite allowed though, however a quick, dirty $10 trip to Terry Walden's in Manchester will scratch that itch ;)

See this thread on tannerite

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/85742-got-tannerite-dont-mix-it/

+1 to robtattoo's post.

Other options around Nashville are:

• CHMR ( http://www.chmr.us/ ) for $90/year. It only goes to 100 yards though and I doubt he'd allow tannerite but I don't know for sure.
  • Gallatin Gun Club ( http://www.gallatingun.com/ ) for $50 year. It goes to 300 yards. No tannerite and a waiting list, plus Saturdays in warm months are usually blacked out for competitions.

Thanks for the recommendation guys! $150/year for all of that!? Heck yeah! Also, Terry Walden just updated with a new set of rules. No more tannerite.

Edited by tomtomtheninja

Unfortunately we live in a time where there is just too much liability with letting complete strangers come shoot on your property. If I ever have land where I'm able to shoot it will only be for close friends and family whom I trust won't sue me if they accidentally blow their toe off.

First post and you're asking someone to let you use their land?  Then again you mention it in a the New Member Introductions forum. Any lunch and beverage requests to go along with that as well?

Mayhaps get to know a few members via interaction here, meet up if we ever get a lunch or dinner scheduled...then try to shimmy your way onto someones land for a free shoot. 

Yes guys. Of course, I know there is good reason for people to be cautious about inviting strangers, and I wouldn't impose on anyone to risk their safety in any way. It IS unfortunate that we have to be that way in these crazy times.

I wouldn't mind introducing myself beforehand.

That being said, I'm a humble (try my best to be), honest, Christian young man. This was a friendly call out for any leads I can get, because I'm unlucky in the "knowing people with land" department.

Also, this is the start of an interaction btq96r  :up:

Edited by tomtomtheninja

That being said, I'm a humble (try my best to be), honest, Christian young man. This was a friendly call out for any leads I can get, because I'm unlucky in the "knowing people with land" department.

Also, this is the start of an interaction btq96r  :up:

I've been here for a year and some change and have near daily interactions with members on the forum here.  I've sought opinions, advice, and what could be called leads for personal and professional reasons.  I've also met members, gone shooting with members, and had members in my own home.  But I would never presume to cold ask someone if they would let me onto their land to shoot even with that level of familiarity.  Accepting an offer would be one thing, seeking it out just seems bad form to me.

• Like 1

I've been here for a year and some change and have near daily interactions with members on the forum here. I've sought opinions, advice, and what could be called leads for personal and professional reasons. I've also met members, gone shooting with members, and had members in my own home. But I would never presume to cold ask someone if they would let me onto their land to shoot even with that level of familiarity. Accepting an offer would be one thing, seeking it out just seems bad form to me.

I'm very new, so I apologize if this post rubbed you the wrong way. I was just being honest. I appreciate your input and will consider taking down this thread. God bless. Edited by tomtomtheninja

I don't recommend taking the thread down, you've fished for information insight and learned a bit, sit back and watch to learn more. I took your initial post more as asking for information and potential points of contact, not a direct request for a member to invite you over to shoot. For now just go to ranges and take some instructional courses. If you want to shoot on farmland or such you need to pay it forward and meet farmers or property owners. A few weekends spent brush bucking or on property maintenance goes a long way towards developing trust. If you want to meet people with rural property ask around your church and develop community relationships.

• Like 1

But I would never presume to cold ask someone if they would let me onto their land to shoot even with that level of familiarity.  Accepting an offer would be one thing, seeking it out just seems bad form to me.

I agree on an individual level. If I know that member X has a bazillion acres of land, I'd never ask him to let me shoot on it, even if we're neighbors and get coffee twice a week. But to me that personal one-on-one appeal is different than throwing something out to the masses and saying "Wanted: place to shoot near X. Willing to apply sweat equity as needed." The first is directly imposing on a specific person. The second is like putting something on a bulletin board. Maybe you get a call, maybe you don't, but you didn't put anyone in a bad position of having to say "no." I think it's good that you let people know you're without a place to shoot. You won't get an invite if nobody knows you're looking for one. You never know if there's someone on here who needs some help mending a fence and would offer you the chance to shoot in exchange for some free labor.

Erik88's right though. I wouldn't expect much of a response due to liability issues these days. But you never know unless you ask.

• Like 2

I agree on an individual level. If I know that member X has a bazillion acres of land, I'd never ask him to let me shoot on it, even if we're neighbors and get coffee twice a week. But to me that personal one-on-one appeal is different than throwing something out to the masses and saying "Wanted: place to shoot near X. Willing to apply sweat equity as needed." The first is directly imposing on a specific person. The second is like putting something on a bulletin board. Maybe you get a call, maybe you don't, but you didn't put anyone in a bad position of having to say "no." I think it's good that you let people know you're without a place to shoot. You won't get an invite if nobody knows you're looking for one. You never know if there's someone on here who needs some help mending a fence and would offer you the chance to shoot in exchange for some free labor.

Erik88's right though. I wouldn't expect much of a response due to liability issues these days. But you never know unless you ask.

I agree, I don't see it as a bad thing to let others know you would like a place to shoot, hunt, fish etc.  If you have a place and want to offer, then great, otherwise the request goes unfilled.  As for the liability portion, (any legal guys/gals here) would a waiver such as many ranges have you sign: https://www.smartwaiver.com/w/5181a265e56d2/web, be sufficient to release an owner of liability?  I would think so especially since not a commercial prospect; I know there is a waiver for sporting purposes and such which was recommended if leasing land to hunters, I figure it would be ok for some non-commercial range time as well.

• Like 1

HOLLY CHIT...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-Walden-Gunsmith-and-More/463632530390794

I guess I'm responsible for this, I've shot there for years, I have NEVER been questioned or approached about anything, I can't tell you how many times I've shot my 50 with the factory Barrett guys out there.. :shake:

• Like 2

HOLLY CHIT...

I guess I'm responsible for this, I've shot there for years, I have NEVER been questioned or approached about anything, I can't tell you how many times I've shot my 50 with the factory Barrett guys out there.. :shake:

Hahaha it was like, exactly the day after the vids and included everything you did. I wonder if he got any heat over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOLLY CHIT...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-Walden-Gunsmith-and-More/463632530390794

I guess I'm responsible for this, I've shot there for years, I have NEVER been questioned or approached about anything, I can't tell you how many times I've shot my 50 with the factory Barrett guys out there.. :shake:

I wonder where the Barrett guys will go now?

We seriously need to all call him and let him see the loss this will cause. Only reason I drove way out there was to shoot 50 BMG and all.

I wonder where the Barrett guys will go now?

We seriously need to all call him and let him see the loss this will cause. Only reason I drove way out there was to shoot 50 BMG and all.

I bet the Barrett guys go to Strategic Edge now, I haven't seen them there in a while..

When the 107 came out, there was a R&D Barrett guy there sitting by 3 cases of ammo, he told me he shot 2300rds out of that gun without cleaning it, his job was to log rounds and note where and when the first jam occurred.. 

Hell on another outing there was a Barrett guy shooting FA with a recon 7..

• Like 2

Again, sorry to beat the drum, Strategic Edge allows .50BMG & other over bore calibers. You have to attend a safety class before hand but it's free & again.... 1250yds!

Already a member. I was there nearly the day they opened to sign up. He used my 50 to test to see if he wanted to allow them on his range. Berm damage was big, so at first he said no 50's. But later he came up with the idea to add the armor to stop the bullets and stop berm damage.

e341e348de1b6b48d3e19dcae7479749.jpg

48150a37538fb32225ca0cbe1764b842.jpg

1a58d0684e27fa181c02e5dc2a7e2621.jpg

But we shot cheap API's, M33 Ball, etc., at Terry's. Strategic only allows Hornady AMAX, which is $65 + a 10 round box, depending on where you buy and what day of the week it is.

But guess I have no choice now. strategic Edge for the 50 BMG + AMAX it is.

I bet the Barrett guys go to Strategic Edge now

I don't see that happening. SE only allows Hornady AMAX. No API, no XM17 Tracer, no M33 ball, etc. Only Hornady AMAX. Does AMAX feed in to a M82A1 or M107A1? I've heard it doesnt.

I'm not sure if he even allows FA and Slidefire. I'm 100% sure no tannerite.

I don't think anyone has addressed your question directly. Letting shooters access my land could lead to a liability problem. I am very selective on who I let shoot here. Gun clubs are a much better choice for your shooting needs. Covered firing points, access to different types of ranges [pistol, rifle plinking], and a lot of other shooters for a base for information are just a few.